Which internet provider?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
erikette

Which internet provider?

Post by erikette » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:47 pm

My partner and I have rented an apartment and are in the process of moving at the moment. We have everything we need now except for internet. We are looking for wireless internet, but the kind with a modem rather than the USB stick. Can anyone give information regarding service providers, prices and deals if possible? I've done a bit of searching around but I can only seem to find the USB kind for some reason. We are living in the Espoo area if that makes a difference (I heard there are some cheaper deals for capital area).

Which internet provider?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Which internet provider?

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 am

Well, you're not looking for a "wireless internet" 8) You're looking for a plain vanilla ADSL connection. Then if you get the modem to act like a wireless router thats up to the modem box you get, but has nothing to do with "wireless" coming into the house, which is what the USB sticks do.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

erikette

Post by erikette » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:19 pm

I wouldn't know what they call it over here, but where I come from, if you have a wireless router then you have wireless internet. Whatever it may be called, that's the kind of thing I'm after.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:47 pm

So, where you come from, you have a wireless router unplugged sitting on the table? You sure you wasn't leeching off the neighbor? :lol:

You still want an ADSL connection.

Adrian42

Post by Adrian42 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Pursuivant wrote:You still want an ADSL connection.
Why ADSL? A cable modem connection is cheaper at the same speed when it's available.

Adrian42

Post by Adrian42 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:44 pm

erikette wrote:We are living in the Espoo area if that makes a difference (I heard there are some cheaper deals for capital area).
Is Welho/DNA cable TV available in your apartment? If yes, then you should also be able to get internet over the TV cable from them.

My experience with them are 5 years of good internet connection and also extremely good customer service whenever there was a problem.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:20 am

Adrian42 wrote:
Why ADSL? A cable modem connection is cheaper at the same speed when it's available.
Ah, optimist, luxus-luxus apartment with cable.

Adrian42

Post by Adrian42 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:43 am

Pursuivant wrote:
Adrian42 wrote:
Ah, optimist, luxus-luxus apartment with cable.
Here in Helsinki that is standard even in very bad apartments.

raamv

Post by raamv » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:41 am

Cable modems share their Bandwidth with multiple Terminations...Almost a whole neighborhood..
ADSL share their terminations with a lot less people.. ( Depends on the DSLAM and how far you are from the nearest end office ).
Moreover, cable modems also share Bandwidth with the TV channels along with the data being sent.. so no matter what the fiber optic cable.. there is a time when your traffic is the least priority..