Banking Question - moving in October -help?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
User avatar
SGaudreau
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Helsinki, Fi
Contact:

Banking Question - moving in October -help?

Post by SGaudreau » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:08 pm

Hey there folks..I have been "lurking" and reading all of your wonderful posts for a while about all the hoops to jump thru to live in Finland. And yet I am still undaunted...well..mostly.. :shock:
With that being said, I am moving to Helsinki in October and need to know something about opening a bank acct.

Now..I am aware of the need for residence/work permits, however..how does one open a simple bank account? Does it require the mystical "number" obtained by said permits to do so or can a simple american gal like myself open an account?

Before the standard: Do you have a res. permit question. The answer to that is a big fat not yet. Why am I moving to Finland?...people do all sorts of things when they are in love :wink:

thanks in advance for all of your help...

cheers...



Banking Question - moving in October -help?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29980
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:36 pm

Well, basically in principle they only/mostly open accounts for residents. And to be a resident you need... the "number" . Some bank surely will open one for you, but better ask around because they are notorious of giving a runaround.

Unless you are of course filthy rich and have 3 billiards to deposit so then they'll crawl ass backwards... Regular people only bring in sand to their foyer.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

User avatar
SGaudreau
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Helsinki, Fi
Contact:

Post by SGaudreau » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:51 pm

Thanks so much for your prompt response. I get the idea that the Finnish bureaucracy quota is pretty high...

I am still moving though :D

jwesthues
Posts: 239
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 9:11 pm
Location: Boston

Post by jwesthues » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:52 pm

In general, Hank is right. You must have a Finnish social security number. However, when we moved to Finland, we opened an account without having received the number yet. However, it was forthcoming. You need to have a local address, just like in the States.

Jukka

User avatar
Kemars
Posts: 1749
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Kouvola tai Helsinki
Contact:

Post by Kemars » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:59 pm

registering when you get here and get the "number", then find a place to live or use a friends address if need be...say you are living with the person (roommate or live with the person your are moving for) . Problem solved. =) of course money does help a bit. If you have couple hundred dollars (though you will lose a bit because of the exchange rate) that might help a bit...

just food for thought.... 8)
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Tom and Jerry

Re: Banking Question - moving in October -help?

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:30 pm

SGaudreau wrote:..how does one open a simple bank account? Does it require the mystical "number" obtained by said permits to do so or can a simple american gal like myself open an account?


cheers...
Finnish banks are easier than the Swedish one. Some open a bank account when you just say that you live in Finland and an address of relative is given. As long as you deposit money, they don't care so much. Lately some request a social number, but there is no regulation for that like in Sweden.

dusty_bin
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:48 pm

When I needed an account I went to Nordea with my passport and just opened the account. No need for a number. They generate one for you from your birth date and nationality. I was given a bank card and when I asked, a Visa Electron card. They did insist upon a Social Security number for a credit card though, it might have been because my income comes from overseas, so no regular wage, just irregular deposits. They told me that a regular wage helps get a card...

User avatar
daive
Posts: 1437
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:00 am
Location: Helsinki
Contact:

Post by daive » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:02 pm

dusty_bin wrote:When I needed an account I went to Nordea with my passport and just opened the account. No need for a number. They generate one for you from your birth date and nationality. I was given a bank card and when I asked, a Visa Electron card. They did insist upon a Social Security number for a credit card though, it might have been because my income comes from overseas, so no regular wage, just irregular deposits. They told me that a regular wage helps get a card...
Tell me about it!! I have three english credit cards but have been refused a finnish credit card... I am a freelance designer and as my income is in different amounts each month it confuses them! But if needed get your employer to write a guarentor letter explaining that you are working and earning monthly payments even though they are irregular amounts.
I have been here a year now so I guess if I applied for one again they wouldn't refuse me, but not too bothered!

User avatar
SGaudreau
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Helsinki, Fi
Contact:

Post by SGaudreau » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:22 pm

okay folks...silly question... the person I am moving for and I are planning on getting hitched...(ain't love grand)... so...does this mean I have to apply for residency before or after the whole becoming an honest woman thing? ....will they kick my yankee arse out and then send me the permit? ...confused... I really don't to get married and then not be able to stay with my spouse.

dusty_bin
Posts: 2208
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 10:56 pm
Location: Estonia
Contact:

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:47 am

in all honesty i am not too bothered. i am happy to avoid personal debt these days and my uk cards still serve me well for most things when i travel.

User avatar
nehia_qom
Posts: 272
Joined: Mon May 05, 2003 3:42 pm
Location: Minnesota

Post by nehia_qom » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:59 am

SGaudreau wrote:okay folks...silly question... the person I am moving for and I are planning on getting hitched...(ain't love grand)... so...does this mean I have to apply for residency before or after the whole becoming an honest woman thing? ....will they kick my yankee arse out and then send me the permit? ...confused... I really don't to get married and then not be able to stay with my spouse.
I'm not sure but I think that you can apply on the basis of getting married. Though you may want to wait as permits are a bit harder when you are not from the EU. Either way you can stay for 3 months without a permit. So there is time for a honeymoon :wink:

Jess

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Image

Caroline
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:38 pm

Post by Caroline » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:09 am

SGaudreau:


At least 2 of us here are also from Massachusetts, including Donald, who is one of the founding fathers. Where are you from in Mass.? The Berkshire in my case.

The Finnish government doesn't care about love :cry: Unfortunately, unless you've lived with your Finnish significant other for at least 2 years outside of Finland, you will not be able to get a residency/work permit without being married.

If you get married here, according to the new law I think you can wait for your residency/work permit while in Finland, but from what I've heard it could take 7-9 months, and I believe they keep your passport the whole time. I came here in November 1999 in pretty much the same situation, and after all bureaucracy was settled, being tossed back and forth USA-Finland a couple of times, I finally got my permits in June 2001.

There seems to be some kind of law of the universe that nobody gets initiated into a new country without a fair amount of nonsense to deal with.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

User avatar
Kemars
Posts: 1749
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 3:06 pm
Location: Kouvola tai Helsinki
Contact:

Post by Kemars » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:57 am

Caroline wrote:SGaudreau:


At least 2 of us here are also from Massachusetts, including Donald, who is one of the founding fathers. Where are you from in Mass.? The Berkshire in my case.

The Finnish government doesn't care about love :cry: Unfortunately, unless you've lived with your Finnish significant other for at least 2 years outside of Finland, you will not be able to get a residency/work permit without being married.

If you get married here, according to the new law I think you can wait for your residency/work permit while in Finland, but from what I've heard it could take 7-9 months, and I believe they keep your passport the whole time. I came here in November 1999 in pretty much the same situation, and after all bureaucracy was settled, being tossed back and forth USA-Finland a couple of times, I finally got my permits in June 2001.

There seems to be some kind of law of the universe that nobody gets initiated into a new country without a fair amount of nonsense to deal with.
From what I have been told in the past, the Finnish govt does this type of BACK AND FORTH crap as to make sure you really want to move and live and work here.
They want to make sure you can survive a mild winter (-30*c without a wind chill factor included and wet / soggy typical Finnish Summers and not to forgot about our cheap TAXES as well.)

So in other words, they are not going to give it to you unless you really really want it.
So continue to bug them, call them, visit them everyday if needed, so as to let them know you want to stay here and enjoy the winter, summer months,
and pay those taxes so that the older Finnish society can enjoy a great retirement. :)

Just my two cents worth! :wink:
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Caroline
Posts: 1118
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:38 pm

Post by Caroline » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:29 am

I really don't to get married and then not be able to stay with my spouse. -----Nobody wants that situation. But the reality is that there will probably be complications one way or another, sorry to say. If you get the permit from the USA, you'll have to be separated for a few months. If you get your permit in Finland, you'll have to find something to do (volunteering or involvement in clubs for example- which may later lead to job offers) to pass the winter away until you get your personal I.D. number, after which you can register at the employment office if needed, and start to become a real resident.

My intentions are not to turn this into a sob convention, but just to let you know what some of us have gone through: in my case, my Finnish hubbie and I decided to get married during one of my 3-month tourist visits. We had a civil ceremony out of preference and necessity, and I had to leave Finland a few days after our wedding because my visitor visa was set to expire a week later. My husband couldn't join me because he had to work. We were separated for 4 months: I was in the USA during a New England winter, and a beloved family member was experiencing a health crisis. It was awful, but it made us both stronger. As a side point, an elderly aunt of mine got married during WWII, and she only saw her husband 22 days in the first year of their marriage. They are now both nearly 90...and still married.


Finland admires tough, resilient people. As Kemars said, the bureaucracy is a test. If you can't make it through that, then you probably aren't suited to living here permanently.



I'm not sure but I think that you can apply on the basis of getting married. ----------Finland doesn't have a fiance visa like the USA. You're either married (including the common-law kind), or you're not. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29980
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:07 am

http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/olelupaperheside_eng.pdf

And well, if you get married and move to the USA and try getting the green card atleast the Finns don't ask what it means if your hubby has a brown streak at the front and a yellow in the back... :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


Post Reply