Banking Question - moving in October -help?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
stig

Post by stig » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:26 pm

jwesthues wrote:In general, Hank is right. You must have a Finnish social security number.
Jukka
Unless you were taking a mortgage out with them like I did. Then you go and sign the right forms and they give you anything... account, credit cards....a free pen. I *even* got a cup off coffee from the women in Nordea... though I had to smile sweetly throughout for that one....

...Wonder if they'll be that nice when I can't pay it off.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:32 pm

Folks:

Firstly, thank you all so much for your responses. I am a bit overwhelmed by the kindness :)

Caroline - I am from Braintree originally..but in Cambridge now by way of Framingham. It is comforting to know there are other Bay Staters in Finland - a little slice of home will be welcomed! It would be great to meet some of you when I finally arrive. Thanks for the sympathy with the separation possiblity. I will persevere! I am a New Englander darn it! Oh and incase anyone cares...the Sox are in their usual August slump and the Patriots are looking good this year ( great defensive line).

Hank - thanks so much for the link. I have read and re-read that form about 20 times in the last 2 months.. and the confusing part about if the applicant is living in a 3rd country other than their home country.

We were considering on going to Portugal ( I have friends and cousins there) for the honeymoon...so I am confused as to if I can submit the application there...and if they will keep my passport...the US form says they can overnight the passport back to me after I submit the app.. the time frame from the States says it is 6-8 weeks..but I don't really know how accurate that is...I wonder if it is longer from Portugal.

I am calling the Finnish Consulate in NY this morning at 9 am EST..so hopefully they can give me a bit more insight...

I apologize if this thread has morphed from a "Living in Finland" item to a "Moving to Finland" type...

Thanks again everyone! I will let you know what the Finnish Consulate in NY says....

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:56 pm

I will persevere! I am a New Englander darn it!

:wink: This reminds me of a comment made by a guest at a bonfire that my hubbie and I attended in Massachusetts when we visited there in May of this year.

"There could be a nuclear disaster, and cockroaches and New Englanders would be the only things to survive" :mrgreen:

We Nor'Easterners are indeed an intrepid bunch :wink:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:33 pm

Yeah..New England and her inhabitants are unique to say the least. I wonder if your husband would enjoy a N'oreaster? (horribly sick joke..sorry)

So it is determined..I must apply from the US. So begins the red tape marathon... The lovely lady in NY said that the process (normally 6-8 weeks) usually is faster for "family" situations.

Oh..and I realized...I never signed my name before...

My name is Stephanie. Not a common name in Finland I hope. :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:40 pm

Stephanie fits fine with Rick, Brooke, Ridge and the other "Bald & Hairless" charachters people name their kids after :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:30 pm

um...thanks? :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:36 pm

https://192.49.222.187/nimipalvelu/defaul.asp

248 'Stephanie' s in Finland. Mostly 1999-2002 period.

Not so bad as for me, I always jump with bad conscience when I hear someone yelling "Henry! Stop that!" ..some 8000 henry's and 14000 henri's (pronounced here the same) and many of them in the age warranting the "stop that" yells from their moms :mrgreen:

"Stephanie! GET THAT OUT OF YOUR MOUTH THIS INSTANT!"
Cheers, Hank W.

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:49 pm

Hmmm...well I just looked at that...and according to that... there are 0 in 2003. the '248' are total or overall...and since 1899...

so..it should be easy to find me..and hard for me to hide :) hehe

the concerning part: 1980-1999 there were 178 "stephanie"'s in Finland... 2000-2002 - there were 10 ...uh-oh.....is there some aversion to the name?...is there some strange affliction associated with it?...should I change it?
Oh..and ona funny note...when I was last in Helsinki ( last month)..my fiancee and I went to Tallina...well the tickets were purchased in advance...with my last name being spelled out for the lovely lady at the ticket booth....when we arrived...my last name was Gabriella....which is just hysterical to me..... I suppose having a french last name is going to be interesting as well

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:59 pm

Ah, sorry, meant the majority was born in the 1990's ... one certain tv-show (6 years late as usual) premiered in 1992 :mrgreen:

There is 6 Brookes in 1980-1999, but its not a fad name as it has been around and is rare, but the two Ridges in 1980-1999 get probable.

Well, I can confess my dad was named after the king Boris III of Bulgaria, the story goes as he was famous in the papers in 1924 :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:16 pm

[quote="SGaudreau"]Yeah..New England and her inhabitants are unique to say the least. I wonder if your husband would enjoy a N'oreaster? (horribly sick joke..sorry)

8) Actually, my hubbie could take a N'oreaster with a smile on his face. New England winters...and for that matter southern Finnish ones...are like Miami beach compared to the Lappish climate that he grew up in, and in which his family still lives. In fact, he gets a sort of "heat exhaustion" when the temp. rises above 60 fahrenheit (I'm serious).

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:04 pm

oh my...that sounds entirely disturbing..the heat issue that is...

I actually enjoy a good New England summer...hazy hot and humid..yay! I was in Helsinki for the second half of June...what was being called Summer by my fiancé, I would call Spring. While in Helsinki, however, the temperature in Boston was almost 100(f) for 4 straight days.

eashton

Post by eashton » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:28 pm

Hank W. wrote:http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/olelupaperheside_eng.pdf

And well, if you get married and move to the USA and try getting the green card atleast the Finns don't ask what it means if your hubby has a brown streak at the front and a yellow in the back... :mrgreen:
Isn't that the truth. After 9/11 I considered applying for a green card for Jarkko just in case things went nuts and the US started sending anyone on a visa packing, but when I started reading the questions on the first form alone along with the physical examination requirements I figured it just wasn't worth the hassle. The Finnish visa application is a breeze by comparison as long as you read the rules and follow them to the letter.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:30 pm

eashton wrote:
Hank W. wrote:http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/olelupaperheside_eng.pdf

And well, if you get married and move to the USA and try getting the green card atleast the Finns don't ask what it means if your hubby has a brown streak at the front and a yellow in the back... :mrgreen:
Isn't that the truth. After 9/11 I considered applying for a green card for Jarkko just in case things went nuts and the US started sending anyone on a visa packing, but when I started reading the questions on the first form alone along with the physical examination requirements I figured it just wasn't worth the hassle. The Finnish visa application is a breeze by comparison as long as you read the rules and follow them to the letter.

I think the reason is because the USA is overpopulated and has much more illegal immigration and public security/health threats, so the authorities screen resident aliens and newcomers much more thoroughly. Finland only has 7 inhabitants (?) per square mile (or was it kilometer?), and immigration has always been much more restricted. I've heard that it is relatively easy for employed, fluent Finnish-speaking resident aliens to acquire Finnish citizenship; I would guess that's because the government is trying to "fill up" the country.

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:00 am

Caroline wrote:I think the reason is because the USA is overpopulated and has much more illegal immigration and public security/health threats, so the authorities screen resident aliens and newcomers much more thoroughly. Finland only has 7 inhabitants (?) per square mile (or was it kilometer?), and immigration has always been much more restricted. I've heard that it is relatively easy for employed, fluent Finnish-speaking resident aliens to acquire Finnish citizenship; I would guess that's because the government is trying to "fill up" the country.
My whole take on this is that it isnt about being mean, but being fair and getting away from any legal implications as to be as mean as they want to be to those that could or would be terrorist that are either already in or want to come into the USA.

This way, they can do pretty much whatever they want and not have to worry about legal implications as they do it to everyone that wishes to get a visa into the US.

Sad but true. :cry:
(hence why I moved before all the bull$#!7 happened - and that I lived in already over populated state in California - :lol: )
just my two cents worth! 8)
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:04 am

And then they bitch and moan so much about *illegal* immigrants... !"#¤%, one look at the *legal* paperwork I don't wonder one second why there are so many.
Cheers, Hank W.