thinking of coming to live in finland - alone - advisable?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
hilsbury

Post by hilsbury » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:40 pm

hello all,
I've just stumbled across this site and I think it's great, really informative. Last year I spent some time in Finland (Helsinki and Oulu) with my job and I found it fascinating. As a consequence I'm thinking of moving back there to do a similar job in Finland. I'm a linguist so I'm keen to learn the language. My question is, as a 30-year-old single female, would I meet people easily? That would be very important for me. I go out a lot, but of course, it always takes time to break the ice. I've lived abroad before, but in Mediterranean countries, and it's always been fine (but I knew the lingo very well first).

Has anyone else on this site done a similar thing and if so did they manage to settle down OK?

Cheers

Hils

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:21 pm

There are always people from this group who are up for going out. I would say Helsinki is an easier place to integrate. Would you be looking for a job or have you found one already? What type of work?

Best of luck

Tony

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:29 pm

Welcome, Hilsbury! Don't forget that someone who lives in Helsinki easily recommends his place. :wink:
I'm sure Oulu is not a bad place for a foreigner either. It has a university and lots of young people. I live just north of Jyväskylä, another lively university town, and I know there's an abundance of foreigners here. In fact, one of my closest colleagues is an Englishman.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:09 pm

I have lived in both Helsinki and Oulu.
I liked Oulu very much, but it is a VERY SMALL PLACE. If you like small towns then you will be OK. It is not a village, but the social life will be a bit quiet comapred to Helsinki, which is itself hardly the party capital of EUrope.
I found the folk in Oulu friendly and I enjoyed the summer climate. It was easier to speak Finnish there as the use of English seems a little less than further south.

As for meeting people, in general, I would probably recomend Helsinki, ther is a greater diversity and acceptance of foreigners (yes I know that there is fort Nokia up there, but as you have probably noticed, the foreign Nokia folk tend to keep to themselves...)

On the language front, here, I think that you will probably be able to find officials and such who speak English, upthere, I found otherwise, this wil have quite an impact on your integration overall, if you are coming over on your own, you will have very little in the way of support groups and assistance up there, quite a lot more down here.

Come to Helsinki, learn about the place and then maybe move north.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:22 am

And theres also single men fed up with Finnish women here in hell sinking... not maybe your hhhhhhhhot ggggggreek loversh though :mrgreen:

Actually, I'd advise you to bring about 4-500 sisters along. The ratio of blokes from the UK vs. gals from the UK is grossly disproportionate!!! Is it due to the cooking?
Last edited by Hank W. on Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Andylip

Post by Andylip » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:09 am

And theres also single men fed up with Finnish women here in hell sinking... not maybe your hhhhhhhhot ggggggreek loversh though
Just curious... I am a 29-yr-old male who is also thinking of moving to Helsinki. What's wrong with Finnish women? I'm not kidding... I'm genuinely curious...

daive

Post by daive » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:18 am

Andylip wrote:
And theres also single men fed up with Finnish women here in hell sinking... not maybe your hhhhhhhhot ggggggreek loversh though
Just curious... I am a 29-yr-old male who is also thinking of moving to Helsinki. What's wrong with Finnish women? I'm not kidding... I'm genuinely curious...
As far as I am concerned there is nothing wrong with finnish women, they are all wonderful! :P

Everytime I walk down the street, this happens to me :shock:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:46 am

Andylip wrote:Just curious... I am a 29-yr-old male who is also thinking of moving to Helsinki. What's wrong with Finnish women? I'm not kidding... I'm genuinely curious...
Feh, you won't have any other problem than trying to get rid of the swarms of women wanting a foreign boyfriend. It has been going on since the beginning of time :D

for when she saw men pourtrayed upon the wall, the images of the Chaldeans pourtrayed with vermilion, Girded with girdles upon their loins, exceeding in dyed attire upon their heads, all of them princes to look to, after the manner of the Babylonians of Chaldea, the land of their nativity: And as soon as she saw them with her eyes, she doted upon them, and sent messengers unto them into Chaldea. And the Babylonians came to her into the bed of love,

I wonder: If a Finnish man is alone in the woods and utters something, even though there is no Finnish women listening to him, is he still wrong?
Last edited by Hank W. on Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:50 am

Hank W. wrote: I wonder: If a Finnish man is alone in the woods and utters something, even though there is no Finnish women listening to him, is he still wrong?
Well if he is male he is wrong! :wink: :P

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:57 am

Yes, but "death by nagging" isn't the most common reason of death of 60+ British men is it?

I'm planning to die by 45, leaves a better looking corpse.
Cheers, Hank W.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:06 am

Hi,
I've lived in Oulu for almost 7 years altogether and can tell you that it is not easy to integrate. I came here when I was 25 from the UK with my Finnish boyfriend and had a workplace arranged before I arrived. I found the first 3 months really hard as I had expected people to more freindly (it was 3 days before I was introduced to my colleagues - no kidding!). I'd imagine that it'd be easier to settle in the Helsinki area as people there seem more outgoing and friendly than up here in the north. Of course you can make friends but I've found that it takes a long time.

I was amazed that neighbours aren't keen to even say 'Hei' when they see you. Often they put their heads down to avoid eye contact. I don't know if it's similar in the south. Even my Finnish friends say this is very common behaviour in the Oulu region. The weird thing is that these Oulu people even seem in a way proud of their coldness.

There are many foreign young men in Oulu but I've not come across many girls so if you're happy to hang out with guys in pubs then you'd probably be fine here.

Julie.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: thinking of coming to live in finland - alone - advisabl

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:18 am

hilsbury wrote: I'm a linguist so I'm keen to learn the language.
Well, Finnish is easy. All the five-year-olds speak it :mrgreen:

The biggest obstacle for anglophones is deprogramming their alphabet. if you know Spanish or Italian, Finnish is easy, the vowels are the same way around and Spanish pronunciation is close enough.

See now... sii nau, tö inklis alhvapeet is veri ronk:

ei EI
pii B
sii C
dii D
ii I
ef F
ghii G
eitsh H
ai AI
jei J
kei KE
el L
em M
en N
ou OU
pii P
kjuu Q
aar ARE
ess S
tii T
juu JU
vii V
dubaljuu W
eks X
vai V
zii Z

hääs tu pii tihverent in tö vinnis läkvits:

aa A
peee B
see C
tee D
eee E
ähvä F
kee G
hoo H
iii I
jii J
koo K
äl L
äm M
än N
oo O
pee P
kuu Q
är R
äs S
tee T
uu U
vee V
tupla-vee W
äks X
yyy Y
tseta Z
ruattalaine oo Å
ää Ä
öö Ö

nau ai nou mai ei pii sii vill juu kam ään plei vit mii?
Last edited by Hank W. on Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:22 am

Julie wrote:The weird thing is that these Oulu people even seem in a way proud of their coldness.
"Cometh a man out of a snotnose, but not from a wanton laugher."

Going around smiling in Helsinki gets you a seat in the tram and space on the street as everyone thinks you're an outpatient on blue green yellow purple pills :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:40 am

For linguistics though, the University of Rovaniemi has some very interesting programs on the Sámi languages. More or less in danger of extinction, there is 9 different 'languages' or dialects in Sámi the farthest away don't understand each other (the writing is totally different).

Then again as a linguist, it wouldn't be easy in Oulu, if nobody speaks :mrgreen:

And Helsinki has all the possible jobs - and if you want to do some freak studying, theres always the comparison of South Estonian and Finnish coastal dialects and the Helsinki slang available.

Dunno, I hate grammar and anything relating to linguistics - I *know* how it is, don't ask me *why* it is... linguists can discuss the tonality of farts but lack the ability of ordering a beer in the pub says my vocational background (as in automotive engineers lacking the wits to fix their cars, which shows as all new cars are designed mechanic-unfriendly), but we have here a big list of Finnish and courses links and will help your strives in "kielikoulu" so please do not hesitate to ask. Theres a load of topics there regarding books & tapes.
Cheers, Hank W.

Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:26 pm

It can take time to make friends with finnish people, but friendship is more real and honest. It needs regular contact over long period of time, plus you need to be proactive. Workplace is usually the best place to integrate, otherwise there are always some forums like this. Oulu could be nicer place to make friends with finnish people than in Helsinki.