kuksa info

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gavin

kuksa info

Post by gavin » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:07 pm

Hm.

I've got a good idea about this, being a Forest lad, but...

I bought my brother a rather nice (and expensive :? ) kuksa for his birthday, and I was Googling for a nice page to print out to tell him how to 'cure' it (that's cure as in prepare, and not as in leproracy :roll: )

I used the multi directional swirling congac followed by [email protected] strength coffee overnight method with mine.

I just wanted a nice page with a brief history, and some cureing instructions. Anyone got any links for me?

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then get into the forest for gawds sake!!!!

Cheers
Gavin

kuksa info

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:28 pm

Sorry, no website ideas, but..

When I got mine presented at a sauna-ilta, there was a quite a ceremony...

I had to put a Finnish coin at the bottom, pour in strong coffee until I couldn't see the coin anymore, and then pour in cognac until I could see the coin clearly (or the cup was full, whichever came first). :D

Drink & repeat process.

Furthermore, I was told I have to keep using it everyday to remind me of Finland - if I don't use it often enough it will crack, and that is the penalty for forgetting Finland.

gavin

Post by gavin » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:28 pm

Hei!

Well, I had to post my brothers Kuksa to the UK, so I wrote my own instructions to him (which I also used to cure my own Kuksa) I guess people all have their own methods, but this is what I sent to him.

Nowadays I just use my Kuksa in the forest, which is not as often as I would like, but still pretty regular.

------

KUKSA

’Kuksa’ is a traditional Finnish wooden cup, hand-made from birch burl from Lapland.

Preparation of the Kuksa

Your Kuksa can last a lifetime if you cure it properly from the start, and follow a few simple guidelines:

1. Fill the Kuksa about ¼ full with cognac.
2. Swirl the cognac clockwise so that it wets the entire inside, without spilling over the rim.
3. Drink the cognac.
4. Fill the Kuksa again about ¼ full of cognac.
5. This time, swirl the cognac anti-clockwise as before.
6. Drink the cognac.
7. Next, brew some double strength coffee (not instant)
8. Without washing the Kuksa after the cognac, fill it with the strong coffee.
9. Don’t drink the coffee!
10. Leave the coffee in the Kuksa in a safe, warm place for at least 24 hours.
11. Go and have another glass of cognac and relax.
12. 24 hours later (and with a faint hangover from the cognac you drank yesterday) go and find the Kuksa full of cold coffee.
13. Pour the coffee away
14. Rinse the Kuksa with warm water, and dry with kitchen paper.
15. Your Kuksa is now ready for use. The more you use it, the more traditional it becomes.

Care of the Kuksa in use
• Don’t use washing up liquid to clean your Kuksa!
• Just rinse with warm water
• Don’t drink milk from the Kuksa!
• Assuming it is usually used for coffee, it is good to drink at least one good stiff cognac once every month

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:52 pm

No links concerning kuksa, but have you ever knowingly done what the Finnish verb "kuksia" means?

Kuksia may be a dialectical verb, meaning that you quietly do some small things in the darkness. :wink:

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm

lol...

I usually do that when Mari is out of the house :lol:

Cheers
Gavin