Living in Finland as a foreigner

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Ryan1997

Post by Ryan1997 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:37 am

Hello everyone

I'm new in this forum. Soon I'll be moving to Finland as I got accepted in a finnish university ( I'm 17 years old )

I've read much about this country and I think it's great and lovely. I didn't have any fear at first
But later on. The worry started. Some people scared me of racism ( especially that I'm a muslim )

I'm not hear to argue about religions. People are not the same. They might be good or bad regardless their religion

Now. Does racism really exist ( in general ) ? And how about racism against Muslims ? What difficulties I might face there ? Just any advice if you got any please :3 cuz I've been thinking a lot about that matter. And of course, no result as I can't expect anything. It's something completely new

Sorry I wasn't calling Finns racists. It's just a fear. Anyone can feel so. And Muslims are hated in some places for ( I don't know ) reason. It's not my fault at any point anyway

Cheers,

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Living in Finland as a foreigner

Post by rinso » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:17 am

As a student living in a student dorm you probably will not see much racism.
When you hang out in places where the jobless immigrants from Africa hang out, you might.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:43 am

[quote="Ryan1997"Does racism really exist ( in general ) ? And how about racism against Muslims ?[/quote]

There is some racism, and not everybody likes Islam (though being a Muslim is not a 'race'); some to extent having a negative attitude towards all Muslims in general. Number of serious crimes is low though compared to all the media talk.

Any advice? Well, even most of the natives use some caution with drunken strangers at night.

Adokas

Post by Adokas » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:59 am

Ryan1997 wrote: Muslims are hated in some places for ( I don't know ) reason. It's not my fault at any point anyway
Because of the radical muslim groups. Look at ISIS, look at other radical groups. All the awful things that they do, they doing for Islam. Even though most of the muslims doesn't support them, in the Western world you guys all shown as terrorists "thanks" to media.

Another reason is muslim immigrants, when the immigrants try to conserve their own culture, European people doesn't like it. For me it's also quite BS to conserve your own culture - if you like your own culture so much, why living in a different country but that's just my opinion - when you're trying to live in foreign country but I have to respect them.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:46 am

Rip wrote:and not everybody likes Islam (though being a Muslim is not a 'race')
I know what you're trying to say, but this is far from the truth. I'm not a Muslim, but I do have black hair and I'm from Syria. Nine out of ten people I meet automatically assume I'm Muslim, even before knowing I'm from Syria. Islam, per se, is not a race, but our perception of how Muslims look like is definitely racially based. I get harassed sometimes in the street or the bus for the assumption of being Muslim solely based on my perceived racial background.
To be honest, I got used to it, and I tend to smile/laugh and ignore it. The harassment happens quite rarely, 2-3 times a year, but I'm "identified" as a Muslim almost everyday because of how I look. At the work cafeteria, I was getting a salad with teriyaki pork by pointing at it, but the lady behind the counter quickly said "Oh, sorry, this one has pork". It was funny :lol:
Islam is not a race, but we definitely mostly treat it like one.

This is kinda different, but I've always heard that "if you come here to work, don't do crimes, have a positive effect on your environment, you're more than welcome in Finland", yet just because of my black hair and some facial bone structure (Mediterranean) the first assumption people make is that I'm one of those bad immigrants, the non-European/non-American immigrants who come to steal our girls and money, and make Finland an Islamic country.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 pm

rinso wrote:As a student living in a student dorm you probably will not see much racism.
When you hang out in places where the jobless immigrants from Africa hang out, you might.
Most Finns and foreigners here who are not muslims do not like muslims. However the exact same goes everywhere else in the world. America, United Kingdom, Australia etc. Your religion is hated throughout almost all of the world. You shouldn't expect any higher level of discrimination here in Finland than anywhere else. In student dorms you will be fine, but don't expect to not be judged when you're seen hanging out with your other muslim mates talking loudly in Arabic/whatever. People judge because it is in human nature and there is a long history of terrible stuff that muslims have done to non-muslims and even other muslims, and the news and media have been feeding off that for a long time.

In Finland, foreigners (mostly arabs, turks, etc) are responsible for a lot of rapes (that get media attention) and generally none of them work any high-level jobs (most are in pizzerias, or driving buses). So often many people here see them as an unnecessary waste of space because in the past not many have amounted to much and a large amount seem content in just collecting social security benefits instead of trying to get a decent education and future career.

In the end, I think most people are too busy with their own lives and problems to care about muslims, however generally no one here is happy to see an increase in muslims or even foreigners for that matter. You didn't say 'where you were from' just that you were a muslim, but you should still expect a general amount of stigma (the kind that you will find in any other predominately non-muslim country).
Last edited by justaguy on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nimi

Post by Nimi » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:33 pm

Ryan1997 wrote:Hello everyone

I'm new in this forum. Soon I'll be moving to Finland as I got accepted in a finnish university ( I'm 17 years old )

I've read much about this country and I think it's great and lovely. I didn't have any fear at first
But later on. The worry started. Some people scared me of racism ( especially that I'm a muslim )

I'm not hear to argue about religions. People are not the same. They might be good or bad regardless their religion

Now. Does racism really exist ( in general ) ? And how about racism against Muslims ? What difficulties I might face there ? Just any advice if you got any please :3 cuz I've been thinking a lot about that matter. And of course, no result as I can't expect anything. It's something completely new

Sorry I wasn't calling Finns racists. It's just a fear. Anyone can feel so. And Muslims are hated in some places for ( I don't know ) reason. It's not my fault at any point anyway

Cheers,
Hi Ryan, at 17 years i will say you are young , even under the laws of Finland the country you are looking forward to commence your future studies. I could imagine your worries, curiosity to know and also the fears to travel and study in a far distance country away from your home and family, having myself taking these steps in my life time around three continents of the world studying including Finland.

The issue of religion, racism, multiculturalism and immigration has been an heated debate over the years even right here in this forum you posted and elsewhere around the country. But as a fresh student in an international bachelor programme, you will be studying around and with people from a different ad diverse culture and life perspective, in essence the universality of knowledge will be shared and learned from each other during the purpose of your study.

For your question about Does racism really exist ( in general ) ? And how about racism against Muslims ? As an international student to Finland this opportuinity is a life changing one, your thoughts and views about racism and religious discrimination may be differ from one person to another. As part of your studies here there will be alot about personal and group observations, findings, recommendation and research, it will not be nice to prepare your mindset over negative issues you have not witnessed first hand before before your studies else you will building so much dislikes in your mind even before coming t the country.

Religion, racism, multiculturalism and immigration are mostly used by politicians to grab power/positions from voters and they deviates from their campaign promises after being voted into power. Nevertheless, I have encountered racial slurs at different times in pub, metros, shops but i always use my "IGNORE BUTTON".

Come experience Finland and share also your observations, findings and recommendation about your questions.

Infin333

Post by Infin333 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:18 pm

Hi

Ryan respect the finnish culture and law you will be absolutely fine

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:39 pm

Some of the comments exaggerate hatred and racism against Muslims or Arabs etc. A black Christian is far more likely to face racism or even violence than a very religious brown or light brown skinned Muslum. Racism against Muslims is more on Internet and politics but blacks face it everywhere.

Somalians face more racism but in reality it's more to do with their skin colour than religion.

dzammes

Post by dzammes » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:07 pm

During my visits to Finland, I never really experienced discrimination in any way. People did stare/glare at me, but having black hair and being 6'4 I guess people do see me despite me trying to always go unnoticed. I'm latinamerican and I know people assume I might be arab or turkish, but whenever I met someone and they found out I wasn't what they thought I was, they actually became quite interested.

Many people dislike islam (including myself), so for you, I suggest to behave at all times and try to fit in by learning the language and learning the way finns run their country. Also, don't dress like a slob. :)

onkko

Post by onkko » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:00 am

Marsh04 wrote:
Somalians face more racism but in reality it's more to do with their skin colour than religion.

More like their behaviour.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:04 pm

Marsh04 wrote:Some of the comments exaggerate hatred and racism against Muslims or Arabs etc. A black Christian is far more likely to face racism or even violence than a very religious brown or light brown skinned Muslum. Racism against Muslims is more on Internet and politics but blacks face it everywhere.

I would say this is a completely unrealistic and incorrect answer to the OP's question. Somalis face racism mostly because of their behaviour. People here (and in most places in Europe) aren't so xenophobic as to care about a persons's skin colour. When you walk out of a train's bathroom, having just washed your feet in the sink whilst leaving water all over the floor and toilet and a disgusting smell behind you. I'm pretty sure anyone would hate you. Most people dislike Somalis in particular because of their general lack of interest in bettering and even being a part of the culture/language/customs/etc of the country that they have gained asylum into, amongst many other things. Most of them aren't remotely interested in putting back into this country that is feeding them and keeping them safe. The same could be said for any person of any race, completely regardless of their skin colour if they behaved the same way. Claiming that it's over 'skill colour' is so @#$% archaic. :roll:

If the OP greets this country and its culture with open arms and an open-mind and doesn't wish to try and force his/her views on others or do anything unsavoury towards others then he will be fine. His/her's classrooms will be filled with people from all walks of the earth and their dorm will be most definitely a safe, quiet place to relax. You cannot ask for more than that. Hopefully the OP will be one of the few that wishes to set an example for others like him.

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:49 pm

justaguy wrote: walk out of a train's bathroom, having just washed your feet in the sink whilst leaving water all over the floor and toilet and a disgusting smell behind you
Are you an oboard VR toilet cleaner that you have observed so many Somalis doing the same thing that you could generalize it to all Somalis?

I happen to travel by train quite often and I see Somalis rarely there or even if there are some it's zero probabilty that I would go to toilet right after one of them so often to make such a claim about all the Somalis.

So it doesn't leave much space to think other than that either you have a permanent digestive problem or you are a toilet cleaner for VR. And you must also be a very delusioned person to believe that you leave a nice smell after you unless you have a bottle of perfume fitted behind you. :)

justaguy

Post by justaguy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:42 pm

No.

However I did language courses for 2 years and had to suffer through these people washing their feet in our bathrooms and even trying to invade lessons that were in progress (to use the private bathrooms in some classrooms) because they needed to wash their freaking feet so badly before praying and there were other people in the other bathrooms doing the same thing already. Teachers put the following notices in all bathrooms after getting fed up with the mess that they were causing. Do you think that people would really do this, and/or give a !"#¤% if they weren't so messy about doing it? (FYI this didn't remotely stop people from doing it, but the teachers did ban students from other classes from using the bathrooms and they put locks on the private bathrooms in the classrooms).

I have to take the intercity train very often for work and yes I could not count on both my hands how many times I have seen these guys washing their feet in the bathrooms and leaving water absolutely everywhere because the times I have encountered it happening is well over 10. Generally it happens between Pasila and Tuusula.

Nice of you to try and ridicule one's right to complain about how messy they have to be about it. I could quite easily wash my feet in a sink without throwing water all over the floors and walls like these guys do every single time. Some of them are so damn stupid/inconsiderate that they don't even flush the toilet after filling it with paper.

Anyway I'm sure you have your own personal complaints about how 'some' people do things and I'll be happy to wait around until you speak up about one of them so I can ridicule you in turn. :roll:

Nimi

Post by Nimi » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:14 pm

justaguy wrote:No.

However I did language courses for 2 years and had to suffer through these people washing their feet in our bathrooms and even trying to invade lessons that were in progress (to use the private bathrooms in some classrooms) because they needed to wash their freaking feet so badly before praying and there were other people in the other bathrooms doing the same thing already. Teachers put the following notices in all bathrooms after getting fed up with the mess that they were causing. Do you think that people would really do this, and/or give a !"#¤% if they weren't so messy about doing it? (FYI this didn't remotely stop people from doing it, but the teachers did ban students from other classes from using the bathrooms and they put locks on the private bathrooms in the classrooms).

I have to take the intercity train very often for work and yes I could not count on both my hands how many times I have seen these guys washing their feet in the bathrooms and leaving water absolutely everywhere because the times I have encountered it happening is well over 10. Generally it happens between Pasila and Tuusula.

Nice of you to try and ridicule one's right to complain about how messy they have to be about it. I could quite easily wash my feet in a sink without throwing water all over the floors and walls like these guys do every single time. Some of them are so damn stupid/inconsiderate that they don't even flush the toilet after filling it with paper.

Anyway I'm sure you have your own personal complaints about how 'some' people do things and I'll be happy to wait around until you speak up about one of them so I can ridicule you in turn. :roll:

I am not a muslim neither a Somalian, but before and during my language courses in Finland i did understand that Before Praying Muslims (Not only Somalis) go through a routine washing ritual, cleansing themselves in preparation for prayer. I am so perplexed by your constant ranting and generalization about a set of people (Somalis) here in this thread. Dirty toilets can also be found in the clubs and pubs but we cannot blame it on a particular set of nationals and it is not nice to do so, it is a public area and as such quite difficult to point fingers.

The condition or state of being dirty is not a one way street!