Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
332415
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 am

Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by 332415 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:45 pm

I'm looking to send for example a 2KG box to Germany, what's the cheapest way? I'm from England, and the €36 fee that Posti charge for that is just astounding to me. Surely there's a cheaper way?

I could fly with Ryanair to Germany from Tampere and freaking take it personally for cheaper than €36 :)



Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 2078
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:50 pm

Whence have you pulled that 36 EUR number, mate?

http://www.posti.fi/private/pricesandinstructions/
Image

Germany is Zone 1. So it's 21 euros for 2kg, and 24 for 5kg.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.


332415
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by 332415 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:52 pm

Yeah I just saw that actually, I posted this too quick :lol:

Even so, €21 for 2KG is still an awful lot


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 2078
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:34 pm

332415 wrote:Even so, €21 for 2KG is still an awful lot
*sigh*
Sam, my man, use your head a bit, buddy. It's just a bit of Googling.

http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder
Image
Image
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.


332415
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by 332415 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:07 pm

I know, and you can also find

Image

Image

Image

There are no such services that I can find from Finland, other than posti or TNT/DHL/whatever other courier which cost loads.

Seeing as you're not trying to answer my question of if you know of any others cheaper, I take it as a no? :P


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 2078
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:27 pm

Oh my god. This is turning a lot more comedic than I expected. 13.43 GBP is 18.14 EUR, which is just 2.86 EUR.. in what universe is that an awful lot? Like, honestly, it's literally 2.86 euros more, completely reasonable. It's probably the difference in the volume of shipping from the UK to Germany as opposed to from Finland to Germany (higher volume -> cheaper cost per package).
I'm just amazed by how you're acting like it's an outrageous difference.

Anyway, you're not gonna find cheaper with any courier. If you really really want to save that 2.86 EUR, then you can try to find bulk shipment options where you can throw your package within a big shipment from some company sending stuff to Germany. Ask around, you'll probably find something. I did it once for a big package of beers from Belgium, but the difference I saved on the shipping was close to 60 euros in that case.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.


332415
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by 332415 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:43 pm

Yeah and £11.34 is nearly €6 cheaper than Finnish post. For a small 2kg package that is a lot, regardless of the number being small as a standalone figure


Flossy1978
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:18 am

How cheap do you think it should be? It's 2 kgs. That's a big parcel! It has to go through handling, sorting, customs, the aeroplane. That's just in Finland.


Upphew
Posts: 10331
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Upphew » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:55 pm

332415 wrote:I'm looking to send for example a 2KG box to Germany, what's the cheapest way? I'm from England, and the €36 fee that Posti charge for that is just astounding to me. Surely there's a cheaper way?

I could fly with Ryanair to Germany from Tampere and freaking take it personally for cheaper than €36 :)
Nice, I'll pay you 30€ to do that.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


Upphew
Posts: 10331
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Upphew » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:58 pm

adnan wrote:Oh my god. This is turning a lot more comedic than I expected. 13.43 GBP is 18.14 EUR, which is just 2.86 EUR.. in what universe is that an awful lot? Like, honestly, it's literally 2.86 euros more, completely reasonable. It's probably the difference in the volume of shipping from the UK to Germany as opposed to from Finland to Germany (higher volume -> cheaper cost per package).
I'm just amazed by how you're acting like it's an outrageous difference.
Also if you open maps.google.com and estimate the distance to Germany both from Finland and UK, there seems to be many more thumbs between Finland and Germany than UK and Germany.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


332415
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by 332415 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:How cheap do you think it should be? It's 2 kgs. That's a big parcel! It has to go through handling, sorting, customs, the aeroplane. That's just in Finland.
Well a package from Germany to Finland, up to 30cm long and up to 25kg is..:

Image

So that would be nice :D
tummansininen wrote:Just adding to the consensus that it's not an awful lot. That's a fairly heavy parcel. That's what posting 2kg costs. Also, show us the return air tickets for less than the postage costs because I'll fly tomorrow if it's true.
Cant actually, Ryanair stop flying from Tampere over winter until April 2016 ( :x ). If it was still in season, I'm sure I could get €30 return to frankfurt hahn. I've paid that to Stansted from Tampere before


Jukka Aho
Posts: 5238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 am
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:31 pm

332415 wrote:Well a package from Germany to Finland, up to 30cm long and up to 25kg is..:

Image
Yeah. That, among some other details, explains a thing or two about why I often order stuff from Germany: even the shipping and handling might be cheaper than from a local vendor. And also probably why the Germans very seldom order anything from Finland...
znark


Querfeldein
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:10 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Querfeldein » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Just another example, a 30kg 60x40x40cm parcel, booked through ups.com from the UK to Finland costs £42.90 (UPS standard, their cheapest service). The same parcel, same UPS service, booked through interparcel.com costs £22.79, including VAT. I know this, because I just sent 10 parcels in this way, they were collected and delivered by UPS couriers, and trackable through UPS.

From Finland to the UK, the same parcel costs €273.74 with UPS, booked through ups.com. From Helsinki to Helsinki, again with UPS and using their cheapest service, it costs €120.93.

Edit: apparently, if you get a small business account with UPS, the rates are much cheaper, from €38.73 domestic and €48.95 to the EU for a 30 kg parcel from Finland (including VAT). Might be worth trying.


332415
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:54 am

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by 332415 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:26 am

Querfeldein wrote:Just another example, a 30kg 60x40x40cm parcel, booked through ups.com from the UK to Finland costs £42.90 (UPS standard, their cheapest service). The same parcel, same UPS service, booked through interparcel.com costs £22.79, including VAT. I know this, because I just sent 10 parcels in this way, they were collected and delivered by UPS couriers, and trackable through UPS.

From Finland to the UK, the same parcel costs €273.74 with UPS, booked through ups.com. From Helsinki to Helsinki, again with UPS and using their cheapest service, it costs €120.93.

Edit: apparently, if you get a small business account with UPS, the rates are much cheaper, from €38.73 domestic and €48.95 to the EU for a 30 kg parcel from Finland (including VAT). Might be worth trying.
:lol:


Rosamunda
Posts: 10649
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Cheapest european/worldwide postage??

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:12 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:
332415 wrote:Well a package from Germany to Finland, up to 30cm long and up to 25kg is..:

Image
Yeah. That, among some other details, explains a thing or two about why I often order stuff from Germany: even the shipping and handling might be cheaper than from a local vendor. And also probably why the Germans very seldom order anything from Finland...
Yep. Like buying big bags of dog food: I need to drive to the pet store, park (maybe even pay for parking), find a trolley, lift the huge bag into the boot of the car, drive home... why bother when I can order the same thing from zooplus - have it delivered to my front door, and it actually costs less? :ochesey:


Post Reply