Denatured alcohol

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
DMC

Denatured alcohol

Post by DMC » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:35 pm

I want to French polish a table top, and for that I need some alcohol. In the USA they call it denatured alcohol. In the UK the normal recommendation is to use methylated spirits which is apparently denatured alcohol with a blue dye in it. I don't want to use that because I plan to use a light coloured shellac in which that dye is likely to be a problem.

What would be a suitable Finnish product? What should I ask for and where could I get it?

Denatured alcohol

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Denatured alcohol

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Go to a proper paint shop. They have the stuff for shellacking, its called "pulituuri".... gues where the moniker "puliukko" is derived from :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Piet

Re: Denatured alcohol

Post by Piet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:28 pm

DMC wrote:I want to French polish a table top, and for that I need some alcohol. In the USA they call it denatured alcohol. In the UK the normal recommendation is to use methylated spirits which is apparently denatured alcohol with a blue dye in it. I don't want to use that because I plan to use a light coloured shellac in which that dye is likely to be a problem.

What would be a suitable Finnish product? What should I ask for and where could I get it?
All alcohol in finland is controlled substance and only available at the "aptheeki" for a price you can buy the same amount 100 times in UK.

Try to order it from Estonia.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world