Finnish Presents for Overseas?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:03 pm

Hiya!
This is my first post here, and first thing, I wanted to say that I'm really glad I found this site. I'm an American that's been living in HKI for the past few years, and I often wondered if there was a forum like this around :D

Anyhow, I'm going to visit my parents in CA,USA for the holidays this year and I was wondering if there were any "tried and true" favorites for bringing "finnish" type gifts that would be suitable for lugging along on air travel. Last year I brought a lot of wood-type of products from the tourist gift area of Stockmann (one-stop-shop, yo!), and any glassware is out of the question.

So, does anyone have any suggestions for offbeat gifts I can find in downtown Helsinki? I've given Marimekko stuff already, and I don't want to cause an international incident by presenting people with Salmiakkikoskenkorva, heh!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:18 pm

Welcome to the board Arabella. I too am originally from California (San Mateo, CA - SF Bay Area)...and I always grab a few last minute gifts from stockmanns when I can...but usually a nice glass vase is always the nice thing...or you can always grab the duty free Marianne candy from either the airport or on the plane to the states...that usually hits the spot. :wink:

Though nice placemats are always a good choice as well, it just depends on where you are located at and what stores are near you.

Hope this was helpfull. (I am getting ready to head back in 9 days... cant wait) :D
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:18 pm

Depending on size/cost the Finnish "Ryijy" wall rug is a nice present and not too difficult to carry/transport by air.
http://www.kasityonystavat.fi/english/p ... jyrug.html

Sara

Post by Sara » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:33 pm

can you get to the Iittala outlet shops?

They have some nice glassware such as the little tealight holders.They are quite sturdy too, so a bit of newspaper round them and they would make the journey. I take these sort of things home and they are always well received. Depends if youre brave enough though!

If you go round the tourist market at the moment there are some really nice little stalls. Some beautiful photos and watercolours of the city. Also there is one stall with handmade silver jewellery. Its all hallmarked and nice to wear (I have some earings from it). What about some of the fashions, like the knitted hats etc.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:58 pm

Yes a Visit to the Iittala glass centre is alway on the "must do" list when we have visitors.
Not only glass, there also several other shops selling handicrafts e.g those wall rugs, nice cafe and some wild funny/saucy home made chocolates :roll: ..it is also open on Sundays.
Nice day out about one hour drive north.
Here is their kotisivu.
http://www.iittala.com/designor/web/des ... enDocument

Sara

Post by Sara » Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:05 pm

They also have outlet shops around here, you dont need to go so far! :D

One near the Arabia shopping center, should just be a short bus ride from town. Or there is one now up near Jumbo too (Vantaa).

Arabian tehtaanmyymälä
/ Arabia factory shop
Arabiakeskus
Hämeentie 135
00560 Helsinki
tel +358 (0)204 39 3507
fax +358 (0)204 39 3511
email [email protected]
Ks. myös Matkafakta Avoinna/open: ma-pe 10-20, la-su 10-16. Poikkeukset/exceptions: 20.6 10-13, 21.6 suljettu/closed.

Tehtaanmyymälä Vantaanportti
/ factory shop
Antaksentie 4
01510 Vantaa
tel +358 (0)204 39 3552
fax +358 (0)204 39 3556
email [email protected]
Avoinna/open: ma-pe 10-20, la 10-17. Poikkeukset/exceptions 18.5, 25.5 ja 1.6 12-16

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:01 pm

[quote="Sara"]They also have outlet shops around here, you dont need to go so far! :D

quote]

Jo jo.. but you cant buy the naughty chocks shaped like Hanks marrow in the local out lets :wink:

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:57 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the great suggestions. I think I'll make a trip out to the glassware outlets this weekend and see what's good to pick up... can't get started too early to get the holiday presents done :)

godenies

Post by godenies » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:28 pm

I was also going to recommend Iittala or Arabia.. how about Kalevala jewellery? We just sent a pendant to my sil, who loved it! Here's a website you can find some ideas from http://www.memoriesoffinland.com/index.asp

Mari

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:29 pm

Hei

Welcome to the group!

Glasswear is great, but I've had very expensive coffee cups in a very tinkely state at the other end.

How about Kuksa? About the same price as the glasswear, but the seem to bounce better :wink:

Oh. Any my folks went mad for wooden butter knives, and kids dangly reflectors...

Cheers
Gavin

eashton

Re: Finnish Presents for Overseas?

Post by eashton » Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:38 am

arabella wrote:Hiya!
So, does anyone have any suggestions for offbeat gifts I can find in downtown Helsinki? I've given Marimekko stuff already, and I don't want to cause an international incident by presenting people with Salmiakkikoskenkorva, heh!
Have a go at the Kiseleffin Talo right off Senaatintorin. There is an entrance on Unioninkatu and on Alexandersgatan right across from the Tuomiokirkko. It's a group of Finnish Crafts/gift shops with some really unique stuff. I especially love the crazy wool hats and other things like karelian sweaters. They're open 10-6 most days as I recall.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:36 am

Just remember if any idi... err... relative sends you anything, it better be worth under 40 euros, or it'll be a damn expensive gift after you pay customs for it (and the customs mail at the airport isn't the easiest to find)
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Samppa

Post by Samppa » Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:36 pm

It's my 4th time in Finland and I go back to my homecountry tomorrow.. So I have sort of experience in Finnish presents. Here's the list of what I usually bring to parents, friends.
- Fazer chocolates
- Finnish books
- Koskenkorva
- Riihimäen glass stuff
- Finnish knives, "puukko"
- Lapland woden stuff: coffee glasses, spoons, other kitchen equipment
- Funny t-shirts, toys (Muumi for example)
- Souvenier Helsini/Finnish vodka glasses
- Berries, jams, candles with a certain berry's smell, berry cosmetic/shower gels/shampoos
- Honey, Finnish honey cosmetics

Etc. If I remember something more I'll write it here.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:46 pm

Ooh! Not a berry-smalling candle again!
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.