Residence Permits

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Carrie

Residence Permits

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:23 am

Hi! :D

My family and I just moved to Finland about a month ago and just received our residence permits. They are only temporary...mine is for one year...my husband's and kids' are for 2 years (my husband is a former Finn). My question is can we live in another EU country without having to apply for residence permits there or is that only if you are a EU national? I'm asking because my husband and I are applying to different universities (here in Finland) to get our master's degrees and we didn't know how difficult it would be to go to school out of Finland if necessary. Thanks for any help that can be given!

Carrie J.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."- Robert Frost

Residence Permits

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:26 am

The residence permit is for Finland, if you are outside Finland for more than 6 months a year you wont be resident here. I think you would need a residence permit for other EU countries if you were planning to spend most of the year there (should be able to get a student one if you have a place), maybe even a visa for travel depending on your nationality.

Tony

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:39 am

tjawatts wrote:depending on your nationality.
You have not said what is your nationality..husband "former Finn" what did he do with his Finnish nationality?

Carrie

Post by Carrie » Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:43 am

My family and I are all Americans. My husband had to become an American because it was part of his contract with the US Army (he is no longer in the army).
Carrie J.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."- Robert Frost