Consumer Protection Law in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:02 pm

I baught a new whirlpool washing machine for around 500 euros. It was installed by company and I ran into troubles with it in one month. It is under 5 years warranty. Comany says it was my fault, which I do not agree with. They told me that they can do more technical inspection with photos etc. If they prove me to be wrong, I will have to pay for technical investigation as well. Now I wonder how can they prove it ? It is not third party investigation. They will conduct investigation and ofcourse they will prove themselves to be correct. I talked with kuluttajavirasto on phone and they told that company has to prove that it was not my fault. What can I do now ?? people with any prior experience in such matters ??? any advise?? Atleast I am not going to agree with them.
Thanks in advance
Sankalp

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sayx

Post by sayx » Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:15 pm

Call them everyday untill they fix it to get you out of there hair. Worked for me with DNA getting a cell phone and not being a Finnish citizen.

Sara

Post by Sara » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:10 pm

which shop did you get it from?

Perhaps a strong phone call to head office would do the trick.

I tend to find when you complain in English they bend a bit easier.

Get someone to check over the warrenty as to what that covers, the wording could be very particular.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:38 pm

How can you break a washing machine???
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:03 am

Hank W. wrote:How can you break a washing machine???
Ask Maippi she is an expert.
We used to have a top loader, but we replaced it with a front loader..it is a Whirlpool..first time she used it she sat and watched the washing going round and round for an hour untill the program finished.
Then she tried to open the door ..it would not open..I was in the living room and heard her swearing about the "perkele ovi" and got as far as the bath room door and was about to explain that front loaders have a one minute timer that keeps the door locked..when she pulled the handle off in her hand. :oops: It had only been installed two hours previuosly..we walked over to Musta Porsi and she explained to sales man what she had done. :oops: ..and much to my surprise they sent a guy same day and repaired it free of charge.
So back to our member with the problem.
Who did you buy it from?
What went wrong with it and how did you contribute to its failure?
Whirlpool appoint dealers who they hope will give a good service to their end user customers, they will not be happy if one of their dealer is not doing so.

Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:04 am

Thanks for all replies. It is a top loader washing machine and I baught it from Veikon kone Itäkekskus. Veikone kone informed me that it is not their problem, because It is under manufacturer's warranty. I am dealing with some guy from whirlpool. I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong.
What I observed was that machine started making lots of sound like a drilling machine at 800-100 rpm and it worked o.k. when I reduced the speed to 600 it worked ok. After this particular wash, I noticed that there is something wrong with flaps of drums and I opened them myself but according to whirlpool , some how flaps of drums have opened during washing and that has spoiled washing machine. It could be because I did not close it properly or some cloth has stuck in the flaps. They told if flaps open, It is not under warranty. I had used it two or three times prior to it and I had observed big noise at high spinning speed one time atleast. Rest of the time I just went off after putting in clothes.
I wish my dealer was as good as Mustaporssi in ur case Peter. I guess I will have to fight continuously with Whirlpool, write mails and visit Kuluttaja virasto and hope for good luck.
Sankalp

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:41 am

Sankalp wrote:. They told if flaps open, It is not under warranty.
Hevosen paska!
The flaps opening during the wrong time of was not part of the design ..if you not closing the lid correctly caused this problem then that also indictes a weakness in design or a fault in manufacture. Should not be so easy make a mistake which wrecks the machine.
(That was Maippi's line when she pulled the handle of her machine!)
I suspect that you are not a Finn and that English is not your mother tongue and you are being given the run around by some guy at Whirlpool.
Do you have any friends who are fluent in Finnish.??
You should return to the supplier..he has your money..take your original receipt with someone who is fluent in Finnish and can make a lot of noise in the shop and demand that they argue with Whirlpool on your behalf. They will not want you frightening away other customers.

Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:37 am

Well I am going to fight till justice is done. but thanks Peter.

neil

Post by neil » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:51 pm

Hi Sankalp

By design, I have never found a washing machine that will operate unless it is fully sealed and everything is in place. Try contacting Phillips head office i.e. where they have some idea of how the customer service process works and ask them to speak to their Finnish team about it. Argue that the design of their product has caused it to break itself. All they are doing is hanging on one point you made and refusing to fix it based on that point. Finally, make as much noise as possible like Dave (sayx) said.
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:21 pm

Took a lot of searching to find it but here is their corporate address.

Whirlpool Corporation General Offices
Europe Region Head Office

Viale G. Borghi 27
21025 Comerio (VA),
Italy

Telephone: 39-0332-759-111
Fax: 39-0332-759-347

I suugest you fax them attn CEO and copy your fax to the Finnish offices.
Whirlpool Suomi fax numeroon 09-6133 6230.
The Finns will want to show they have "solved the local problem" before the CEO gets to see your fax.

Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:56 pm

People here are quite supportive. I just checked on whirlpool from internet. It is one of the vision

Whirlpool's growth strategy – "Building unmatched customer loyalty"– is unlike any other within the appliance industry. The strategy focuses on winning the hearts and minds of our customers.
We know that loyal customers are recommending our brands to others; that they are requesting and repurchasing our brands over those of competitors.

I wonder how much they follow it. Peter, It was nice of you to find me those fax numbers. I wait till tomorrow. After this I will create a big fuss. I do not have anything to loose anyway.
Sankalp

Donald

Post by Donald » Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:13 pm

Sankalp wrote:Whirlpool's growth strategy – "Building unmatched customer loyalty"– is unlike any other within the appliance industry. The strategy focuses on winning the hearts and minds of our customers.
We know that loyal customers are recommending our brands to others; that they are requesting and repurchasing our brands over those of competitors.

Regurgitate that back to everyone you speak to with Whirlpool concerning your issue. My advice to you is to first get everyone's name and position within Whirlpool you speak to. If you are not satisfied with the answer you get, ask for the name of their manager and demand to speak to them. Keep going up the chain until you get the answer you want. Works for me everytime. If you get a problem concerning an individual NOT giving the name and/or connecting you with their manager. Tell that person, when you speak to their corporate office, you will kindly tell them (and be sure to use their name) refused to cooperate with you towards mitigating your problem with THEIR product. I would be willing to bet, they will connect you! Good luck!

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:41 am

I usually go with the "american Direct approach". Just be calm polite as possible and let know for some unknown reason the machine is not acting correctly and perhaps you are doing something incorrectly to operate the machine, as you think it should be something else.
Maybe they will send out someone to help and have that person touch the machine somehow someway. at least you will get someone to come out and take a look at.

if that doesnt work, complain - bitch - gripe every day, (randomly call each day between the hours of 10:00 - 15:00) until something is done. trust me on this one as I had an issue with Elisa when I first came here, when I was being charged for internet access when I didn't even have an ethernet socket to plug into in my apartment. I eventually got 6months free interent access and a written appoligy (even though it was in finnish, but besides that) from Elisa. Not bad for a foreigner that just arrived and wasn't even in Finland less than 6 months when this happened.

One thing to remember when dealing with Finn's: Truth is out there, and they respect people much more and you get more reaction and actions when you have TRUTH in front of them. :wink:
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:54 am

When I brought may "domestic quality brand" made in Italy Rosenlew, it had a wee fault. It ran, but no water came in. The water didn't come into the washing drum... trying to explain that to someone not sounding like an idiot "YES THE F"¤%%" TAP IS OPEN THERE IS WATER ALL OVER THE FLOOR I CHECKED IT" ...I finally got a guy in 2 weeks to come and see it. He took it to pieces, apparently during transport or whenever, the wire controlling the magnet valve had gotten loose and dropped off... I sent them a very "Hank" letter to the HQ but got no answer... I am not sure if I wished them into the eye of a skunk piss-fight storm...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:44 pm

Good news. I managed to get them to replace my washing machine. Two guys came to inspect with a warning that if I am proved wrong. I will have to pay the inspection charges of about 100 euros. Well I stuck to my point and took risk. They admitted their mistake when they checked it. They blamed it on the service guy who had earlier checked. Now I am getting a front loader. Front loader looks better. Thanks everybody.
Sankalp