Consumer Protection Law in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:45 pm

Great News :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:55 pm

Sankalp wrote: Now I am getting a front loader. Front loader looks better.
Sankalp
Great News ..but remember dont do a Maippi and pull the fugin handle off :oops: front loaders have a 1 minute time delay after stopping before you can open the door! :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:21 am

Oh, Peter, have you guys emptied the lint sieve? I am always surprised in how much crud collects into there... reminds I need to do laundry tomorrow...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:03 pm

Having read this thread, I am curious.

When one buys a product from a shop in Finland, is the contract with the shop or the manufacturer?

In the UK, the contract is with the retailer and it is their responsibility to sort out the problems, obviously the manufacturer usually looks after the thing, but your relationship is with the shop. Much more sensible it seems to me.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:23 pm

And when the shop goes bankrupt...?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:37 pm

Shops going bankrupt is not so common, it is usually more common that a supplier goes out of business, ceases to import a product line. But what actually is that the retailer is the point of contact for the contract. The manufacturer stands behind the retailer. THis happened because of situations as noted in this thread where the retailer is able to slope the shoulder and of course the manufacturer has no relationship with the client.

Logically it makes sense to deal with the retailer. They have taken your money, not the importer or manufacturer. Retailers are generally more likley to be around than most suppliers. The retailer SHOULD have an interest in future business, a manufacturer almost certainly has little, it is rare that we buy a multitude of items from one manufacturer, but we buy very much from one shop. Service in the UK took a big step forward wen retailers had to stand behind what they sold.

So, do I assume, that in FInland, the contract is with the manufacturer?

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:44 pm

dusty_bin wrote:Having read this thread, I am curious.

When one buys a product from a shop in Finland, is the contract with the shop or the manufacturer?
I was a bit surprised too, but the contract is with the shop, not with the manufacturer. Complaints to the shop. The argument is quite often used by sales people to divert the responsibility to the importer or manufacturer, but that doesn't change it.
Complaints should first go to the shop or the one you have a contract with.

Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:38 pm

In my case, the shop manager just informed that it is the duty of manufacturer to take care because product was in initial warranty period( Manufacturer's warranty). He gave me a phone number and that is it. Perhaps I accepted his version easily. Anyway I am not aware of what law says in Finland.
Sankalp

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:06 pm

There is something like a kuluttaja-asiamies or kuluttaja-asiainmies.
There are several laws for the consumer protection.

Anyhow, anything you sell has a guarantee on it. I don't know the exact words for it, but is says something like:

if you buy a washing machine you may expect it to work for at least six months or a reasonable time.

The importer or manufactor may in addition set up their own guarantee system or rules. The importer may agree with the shop that they will take care for the faulty machines. But, the shop owner should take care for the faulty machines in principle first.

I remember one case I bought a bike. It broke down and the Kesport salesman said: ok, go to this and this repair shop and they will repair it there and it doesn't cost you anything.

So, in your case Veikon kone is the one to go to. An additional rule as a visit of our technical people will cost you anyhow 100 euro sounds a bit odd.