How to dress newborn in the winter/bring to hospital?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
alucio

Post by alucio » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello everyone!

I am due with my first child in 13.12 and I'm a bit at a loss of what I should bring to the hospital when I go to give birth and what I need to make sure he's warm on the ride home.

I am going to be giving birth at Naistenklinikka and I'm curious to know what they provide you during your stay and what I should bring with me. I've read their website and they say to just bring whatever you plan on bringing the baby home in, but it's just so unspecific that I need more information! Any moms or dads have any previous experience or remember what they were given?

Also, since it will be the middle of December when we bring our little one home, how should he be dressed during these cold months?

I am planning on a long sleeve onesie, with a warm sleeper suit, possibly tights along with socks, mittens, and a warm hat. His carseat will have a blanket to wrap him in and if we use the pram to go out, I'm thinking a snowsuit as well, but I just don't know. I'm a first-time mom and I haven't spent a full winter here in Helsinki so I'd love to know what you normally dress your little ones in or if I'm forgetting something important.

Kiitos!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

latikajamal

Re: How to dress newborn in the winter/bring to hospital?

Post by latikajamal » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:18 pm

alucio wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:46 pm
Hello everyone!

I am due with my first child in 13.12 and I'm a bit at a loss of what I should bring to the hospital when I go to give birth and what I need to make sure he's warm on the ride home.

I am going to be giving birth at Naistenklinikka and I'm curious to know what they provide you during your stay and what I should bring with me. I've read their website and they say to just bring whatever you plan on bringing the baby home in, but it's just so unspecific that I need more information! Any moms or dads have any previous experience or remember what they were given?

Also, since it will be the middle of December when we bring our little one home, how should he be dressed during these cold months?

I am planning on a long sleeve onesie, with a warm sleeper suit, possibly tights along with socks, mittens, and a warm hat. His carseat will have a blanket to wrap him in and if we use the pram to go out, I'm thinking a snowsuit as well, but I just don't know. I'm a first-time mom and I haven't spent a full winter here in Helsinki so I'd love to know what you normally dress your little ones in or if I'm forgetting something important.

Kiitos!

Hi..
I gave birth April this yr. Here in Vaasa, I dont know if all hospitals are the same.
This was based on my experience,
I Stayed 3days, I had my own room with own CR and everything I need and baby's needs, you can find it there. Baby's clothes, diapers and etc...
Nursing clothes, maternity pads, socks, disposable underwear and etc..
The food, 4x a day...
I went there with a big bag, but I told to my husband to return it back home, I dont need them all. (10 mins from home to hospital)

What's left with me was my personal hygiene kit,(toiletries)
I only used lipstick, face powder and nivea day/night cream :lol: )
Sleeper..
Phone, tablet,charger..
Foods: biscuits, chocolates and NAKED (brand) different mixed fruit juice.

The most important thing is the Card from NEVOULA I almost forgot :D ( The first thing they will gonna ask is the Card).

Last day..
Carseat, warm blanket ( my baby used clothes and bonet from hospital , when we leave , we only covered his half body with warm blanket and it feels so good to feel and breathe the fresh air and coldness after 3days of stay in the hospital.

As I've wrote in my own post, the nurses were all extremely kind and helpful.
Goodluck and congrats in advance.

Ozmotix

Re: How to dress newborn in the winter/bring to hospital?

Post by Ozmotix » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:00 am

Hi, congratulations on the baby :)

My wife gave birth in Naistenklinikka this July and what they say on the website is exactly right. You will have everything you need for yourself and your baby as soon as you arrive at the hospital. If you will have a support person with you, they should bring what they will need. For example some change of clothes, snacks etc... Since you are a first time mom, you will most likely get a family room should you want it. So depending on your situation, child's father can stay with you.

When you are discharged from the hospital, warm clothes and a blanket should be enough for the baby. It's possible to drive to the door for pick up, so the time the baby will be actually outside is very short. Of course warm up the car beforehand.

Don't stress too much about how to dress the baby, you will find the right combination very quickly. As a general starting point, baby should have one extra layer of clothing than what you are wearing. If you are worried that he might be cold, check the baby's neck. If the neck is warm then all is good. You will get a booklet at the hospital with a lot of practical information. Also you can always ask your neuvola nurse when you go for check up. During the first week when you come home from the hospital neuvola nurse will come to your home, you can ask all your questions then.

I wish you an easy birth.