where to buy: thick foil (tin or aluminium)

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi all,

So, has anybody seen/ know where to buy some thick aluminium or tin foil? My rolls finished and I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore, tried Lidl, K-CityMarket, Prisma. I was using it to line the lower part of the grill to collect falling food and oil. I ripped off the last sheet off when I was cleaning a few weeks ago, just realised we're planning on grilling food in the evening, I'd hate for the metal pan to get filthy, hard to clean up! :(

Sometime in 2012 I bought 7 rolls, and now they are all gone, cannot remember where I bought them from! The real thick variety, you almost need a carpet cutting blade to cut through, and they are sharp as well.

Any help?

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

meplusthree

Re: where to buy: thick foil (tin or aluminium)

Post by meplusthree » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:23 am

Amazon ?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 am

Perhaps there was a brand name or importer/manufacturer details in the packaging? Might help finding a retailer if still in production.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00 am

network_engineer wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:11 pm
Hi all,

So, has anybody seen/ know where to buy some thick aluminium or tin foil? My rolls finished and I can't seem to find it anywhere anymore, tried Lidl, K-CityMarket, Prisma. I was using it to line the lower part of the grill to collect falling food and oil. I ripped off the last sheet off when I was cleaning a few weeks ago, just realised we're planning on grilling food in the evening, I'd hate for the metal pan to get filthy, hard to clean up! :(

Sometime in 2012 I bought 7 rolls, and now they are all gone, cannot remember where I bought them from! The real thick variety, you almost need a carpet cutting blade to cut through, and they are sharp as well.

Any help?

Thanks!
Dunno how thick those are, but at least Clas Ohlson and Biltema have thicker foils available. I suspect that they are not that thick to need blade to cut.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am

What do you need it for?
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:39 am
Perhaps there was a brand name or importer/manufacturer details in the packaging? Might help finding a retailer if still in production.
Nope! Have this annoying habit of getting rid of cartons, packaging etc weekly!
Beep_Boop wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:37 am
What do you need it for?
Hi, to line the underneath of the grill, there is a metal pan there that collects all the oil and food particles etc that drip/ slip through. I change it occasionally and then then wash/ wipe the pan as well. Just don't want to get that pan dirty, so use a foil.
Upphew wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00 am
Dunno how thick those are, but at least Clas Ohlson and Biltema have thicker foils available. I suspect that they are not that thick to need blade to cut.
Clas Ohlson, I checked, they did not, I'll have a go at Biltema today. Thanks Upphew!

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:19 am

Kärkkäinen seems to have some foils claimed to be thicker/stronger than normal (as a Finnish lesson, I'll let you find yourself which ones). Maybe also a foil tray would work, if suitable in size. https://www.karkkainen.com/verkkokauppa ... foliovuoka

Keravalainen

Post by Keravalainen » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:40 am

Hi!
You described the use of alminium foil...
"Hi, to line the underneath of the grill, there is a metal pan there that collects all the oil and food particles etc that drip/ slip through. I change it occasionally and then then wash/ wipe the pan as well. Just don't want to get that pan dirty, so use a foil."

Another way to handle this is the following:
Apply a thick layer of fine sand on the pan underneath the grill. All fat and particles drop on the sand, and it's easy to wipe of them together with the surface layer of the sand. This way you don't need to wash the pan, if you just replace the top layer a couple of times during the summer.

Where to get apprpriate sand? Go to a hardware store (selling building materials) and ask for a sack of sand blasting sand ("puhallushiekka").
Price is some 7 euros per 20 kg sack. - - It will last for great many years of barbecuing...