Winter Clothing - Seeking guidance

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Dear All,
We are moving to Tampere in the beginning of 2019, I guess it will be peak winter time.

Move is from Dubai, there is absolutely no way we will find clothes here capable of defending against arctic winter.

Looking for some general guidance on what kind of clothing we should plan on buying.
(Most of the purchases will be in Finland itself, Possibly in Helsinki and then we will head towards Tampere)

Things such as - how many layers generally is enough and what types?

Which of these we should plan on getting?
- Innerwear
- Inner layers such as Sweaters, Pullovers etc.
- Jackets - what kind of jackets we should plan on getting.
- Boots
- Gloves

Brands: What are the brands we can look for? (in moderate budget)

Where can we find the right brands?

Please give your recommendation considering a family of 3:
Men (me), Women (Wife) and Children (Daughter 7 y/o)

Appreciate your help.
Regards, Biswajit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

akaquaman

Re: Winter Clothing - Seeking guidance

Post by akaquaman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:52 pm

Here's a link that should be helpful: https://herfinland.com/lapland-packing-list/ This particular post is about dressing for very cold winter weather in northern Finland, so if you wore everything, you might be overdressed at times, but with layers you can adjust accordingly. She has a very interesting and informative website/blog about visiting and living in Finland that should give you much help - look through her different posts to get more ideas and information. Hope this helps you plan your move. She is also very friendly and helpful and responds quickly to emails and other social media. Good luck!

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 am

Depends the time you arrive in Helsinki, you could pick a taxi to a shopping center nearby called Jumbo. There you will find everything.

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 am

Layering is very important. Make sure you have a wind blocker as an external layer. The only gear you absolutely need is good protection for extremities such a hand and toes.

biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:42 am

Thank you very much for all the help.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:22 am

It depends on how much outdoors you are, and what you do there. Spending hours on end not doing much has quite different requirements to being active (walking, skiing,...), or making short stints from a bus stop to work, going from shop to shop in the city center etc.

In any case, you can't expect to stay as comfortable as inside during the winter, no matter how you dress. Your body will react to the dropping outside temperatures, and you will get more accustomed to it. The initial "bite" below 0 degrees C always feels the worst, even though you know that there's no real harm in it. It's better to gradually increase the clothing based on outside temperatures, even if you initially feel some level of discomfort, as opposed to stacking on as much as you possibly can right from the start.

What I did, while I was still cycling 2,5km to work, was to take the initial discomfort for the first week or two every autumn, which then allowed me to cycle in pretty much my summer clothing (jeans, t-shirt, short underwear, jacket, shoes, thin socks) added with gloves and a knitted cap, up till -10C - 15C throughout the winter. That is not to say that you shouldn't dress warmly, just an example of how our bodies will adapt to changing temperatures, and compensates for it.

As for particular clothing and brands, I'd definitely recommened Varusteleka's Särmä-brand of merino wool clothing: https://www.varusteleka.com/en Merino wool, in addition to being warm, has the quality of also not being too warm, for example I wear their merino wool socks around the year (I'll add more if staying a prolonged time in cold temperatures, but generally don't need to). Very versatile stuff.

biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:51 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:22 am
It depends on how much outdoors you are, and what you do there. Spending hours on end not doing much has quite different requirements to being active (walking, skiing,...), or making short stints from a bus stop to work, going from shop to shop in the city center etc.
I think short walks, taking bus etc. will be something I will have to do - until we get a car.
I prefer to continue doing it to keep the body moving, unless there is a blizzard or something (I am not a total Health freak though)
The other part is the child - it is hard to keep them fully covered given they would be running around - we just want to be sure she is not at any danger of exposing herself to raw cold.

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
In any case, you can't expect to stay as comfortable as inside during the winter, no matter how you dress. Your body will react to the dropping outside temperatures, and you will get more accustomed to it. The initial "bite" below 0 degrees C always feels the worst, even though you know that there's no real harm in it. It's better to gradually increase the clothing based on outside temperatures, even if you initially feel some level of discomfort, as opposed to stacking on as much as you possibly can right from the start.
Great tip on gradual increase of clothing. Thanks.
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
As for particular clothing and brands, I'd definitely recommened Varusteleka's Särmä-brand of merino wool clothing: https://www.varusteleka.com/en Merino wool, in addition to being warm, has the quality of also not being too warm, for example I wear their merino wool socks around the year (I'll add more if staying a prolonged time in cold temperatures, but generally don't need to). Very versatile stuff.
Thanks for the reference. I hope I can buy them in Sokos, Stockman etc. (Those are the only shop names i know :mrgreen: )

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:04 am

biswajit.sharma wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:51 am
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Thanks for the reference. I hope I can buy them in Sokos, Stockman etc. (Those are the only shop names i know :mrgreen: )
Those can be bought only from Varusteleka (Särmä being their in-house brand), they sell online too, their physical store is in Helsinki (quite a way from the city center).

suomynona.yllatot

Post by suomynona.yllatot » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 pm

biswajit.sharma wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:31 pm
We are moving to Tampere in the beginning of 2019
:roll: Sorry to hear...! :twisted: Hopefully, you've made an informed decision. But if this is of any help!

From Finland
For outerwear,

Jackets, the warmer ones are the parkas, but you still need to dress in layers. Brands, you'll find a lot of them. IcePeak, Luhta, Canada Goose, etc. Gloves but them from here as well. Get ones with the thermal insulation.

Warm shoes are also available. Remember, it could be quite warm inside the offices, so most people stock an inside shoes that they change into when coming from the outside. Known brands include, e.g. Viking, Nokian, Sorel, Icebug etc.

Innerwarmers you need to shop around, IIRC, BlackHorse is a good enough brand, but they are expensive as well.

Shops: Try also the shop called Partioaita, you'll find most of the jackets and stuff from there as well. In fact, the Prisma (large chain of stores like Carrefour) will also have most of the items. If you know your size, you can buy them online as well, e.g. "miehet parka takki" (for men) or Naisten parkatakki (for women). You'll also find the prices cheaper. Dressman is another place to find mens' clothes.

Closest shopping mall to the airport is Jumbo, and you'll find most of the shops there.

Buy already! Relocation will be a big expense, also considering the unfamiliarity with the currency exchange and value! A lot of the items are ridiculously priced, here are a few tips.

Jeans, shirts, and suits, get your supply from DXB, they can be ridonkulously expensive here. And most of the times, they are both casual and formal wear (e.g. when paired with a jacket). Ties if you are in a formal role, get them from outside as well. Crazy prices here, and the selection sucks big time.

Undergarments, stock up from DXB as well. They are ridiculously priced, starting at about 9e pair of boxers, if you want decent ones. I usually get mine from the States when I am there.

Socks get your cottons from DXB as well, get 40 pairs if need be. You can then get a few wollen pairs here.

Medicines Stock up on your needs, if you have any special ones. E.g. Cardio Aspirin/ Bayer 100mg, packet of 90, is two times the price as in DXB, about 13,90 EUR. Same medicine, same strength, same manufacturer.

Sweaters and Cardigans I am assuming you are from India? I suggest get your cardigans/ sweaters from India, they are awesome. Here you'll find them, overpriced and barely good enough!

Scarves and Shawls India, if you can. Lousy ones here, or then very expensive. Stockmann has some good stuff, around 70-80e.

Rest of things you will find here, including many unwanted stuff... Hopefully, your experience is more pleasant.
Yep, it is! What's the big deal?

biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:16 pm

suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 pm
:roll: Sorry to hear...! :twisted: Hopefully, you've made an informed decision. But if this is of any help!
Haha, thanks for the encouragement. Finnish sisu will keep us going I guess. :ochesey:
suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Sweaters and Cardigans I am assuming you are from India?
Yeah you are absolutely right. Only issue is, I am not sure whether I will have time to go to India before our move.
But great tip none the less, we will keep this in mind.

Thank you very much for all your tips. Great help.

vla

Post by vla » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:32 am

Hi everyone and thanks for the suggestions!

I am moving to Finland in the middle of december. I already have a good jacket (I believe) I used when lived in Germany ten years ago. I think it will survive Finnish winter. It's a Burton jacket. I am also thinking of getting a parka and a pair of boots.

I would probably make a stop in NYC before getting to Finland. Do you think I can buy good parka and boots there? I mean good enough for Finland weather. I am an active person so I pretend to keep going on winter, like hiking and maybe try something new, so I will keep this in mind when buying clothes.

I am from Chile by the way.

Thanks for your help!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:21 am

suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Jackets, the warmer ones are the parkas, but you still need to dress in layers. Brands, you'll find a lot of them. IcePeak, Luhta, Canada Goose, etc. Gloves but them from here as well. Get ones with the thermal insulation.
Canada Goose might be an option if you can get it for a hefty discount. The never seem to be on sale here. I've been drooling for one few winters now. Three CGs will likely cost op here 2k€. I probably would have one if I lived somewhere colder and if I would be doing outside activities more. Like freezing my ass of while kids slide snowy hills... so maybe op should invest for one.

Layering is a must, while outside might be -10 or -20, inside won't be.
suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Warm shoes are also available. Remember, it could be quite warm inside the offices, so most people stock an inside shoes that they change into when coming from the outside. Known brands include, e.g. Viking, Nokian, Sorel, Icebug etc.
Proper footwear is must. Warmth is one thing but staying upright is even more important. It will get slippery when the temperature is freezing. With boots I'd skip the studded stuff (Icbug) but get one with good traction. So the rubber should feel rubbery and sticky in the shop as it will harden more in the freezing temperature. And the fit shouldn't be too tight. I'd put my Sioux Pampas on top of the list of good winter shoes. And while one might go all in preparing for the -20 weather, the hard part will be times when it is cold and wet. -2 to +2 is in my opinion the worst weather when you add rain to the mix.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Good advice above but check also older posts.

I would start form second hand shops such as UFF, fida in Helsinki. Buy cheap ones to see what you need and what your prefer. And usually they are of good quality, winter clothes are actually terribly expensive. I personally like long coats that keep also legs warm but people have different tastes.

Indian woolen scarfs are fantastic but not think enough for the peak of finnish winter.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:30 am

Proper footwear is must. Warmth is one thing but staying upright is even more important. It will get slippery when the temperature is freezing. ...the rubber should feel rubbery and sticky in the shop as it will harden more in the freezing temperature.
This is very true. the kind of walking boots you will find in NYC and the UK have a thick tread but the rubber can be quite hard (to make them long lasting). These will be very slippery when it's cold in Finland and a bit icy - they can be worse than normal shoes. Probably it's best to buy this kind of boot in Finland since the rubber is specifically soft for this reason.
On the other hand with this kind of boot, do not wear it inside the office, the rubber is soft and will rub off and leave black marks on the floor. You might not care about the marks themselves but the tread will soon be lost due to this effect.

On a separate topic, inside houses and offices it will be warm inside regardless of the weather outside so don't expect to wear thick sweaters and thermal underwear when in the office or at home (even if it is -30deg outside). This perhaps is more of an issue if traveling around by public transport. By car I rarely wear more than a shirt even at the height of winter.
One kind of winter jacket you will find has zips under the armpits. These are good when going to shopping malls etc since you can keep the jacket on but open up the zips for ventilation. Otherwise if you are dressed for -20 outside and it's +20 inside the mall you will need to take off your jacket unless you want to cook. Even when you are outside at -10 you might open the zips if enjoying a brisk walk and it's sunny (my colleagues in Asia though would be shocked at the idea of enjoying a walk outside when it's -10 deg, but it's quite normal here).

If you are after a smart winter coat you will find a very stylish woolen type that superficially has three large buttons on the outside but there is a kind of bodywarmer built into it with a zip up the front which is hidden by the front overlap of the coat. I have a couple of these from Germany and they are very smart (in Finland you will find them at places like Stockmann but at 3x the price of German department stores). Generally Germany is a good choice for smart winter clothing - the prices are good and quality high. The UK is a waste of time due to cheap rubbish that certainly looks cheap.