Driving in winter

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
vla

Driving in winter

Post by vla » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi!

I have been in Finland for one week so far. I have been driven a car very carefully because I don’t have experience with this weather. Today I lost control of the car because of loose snow. I was driving slow so it wasn’t so bad, but it scared me.

Is there any advice on getting use to drive in this weather? Is there maybe some driving school that prepares you only for this? I already have a license that I can use here but I need help with this.

thanks!

Driving in winter

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Driving in winter

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:51 am

vla wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:37 pm
Is there any advice on getting use to drive in this weather? Is there maybe some driving school that prepares you only for this? I already have a license that I can use here but I need help with this.
There are special slippery tracks that driving schools use. I would ask for a quote from a driving school for some hours specially geared for winter weather.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:29 pm

when you say "lost control of the car" do you mean it crashed into something or just lost grip and started to slide? this is common in the winter and something you have to get used to and not panic and do something (like braking) that would make things much worse. The lessons on the slippery track would help, then you won't be quite so worried when the car starts to slide sideways. They will also give some advice/practice on how to avoid getting into a problem in the first place (light on the brakes and accelerator).
With practice you will cope with the winter, even unexpected things like listening to the tires can be important (since studded tires make a lot of noise when they are about to lose their grip and then you can judge how slippery the road is).

deepsudeep

Post by deepsudeep » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:07 pm

vla wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:37 pm
Hi!

I have been in Finland for one week so far. I have been driven a car very carefully because I don’t have experience with this weather. Today I lost control of the car because of loose snow. I was driving slow so it wasn’t so bad, but it scared me.

thanks!
I hope you have winter tires, they made a huge difference. There is not much snow on the road, where are you driving?

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 pm

I'd bet the farm that OP doesn't have winter tires. Get them; they're mandatory, and even if they weren't, why would you NOT want them on your car in winter?

You couldn't have lost control of the car that bad if you were going as slow as you say. And, if you were going slowly, you shouldn't have lost that much control. Then again, to someone inexperienced with winter driving, a little slip could feel like the car being washed away in a tidal wave. Definitely look into taking classes.

Also: NEVER slam the brakes when your car is slipping and sliding in wintry conditions. Probably the first thing you'll learn in class.

vla

Post by vla » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:58 am

riku2 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:29 pm
when you say "lost control of the car" do you mean it crashed into something or just lost grip and started to slide?
I mean the later. I was driving slow so it wasn’t bad, it just something I haven’t experimented before.

vla

Post by vla » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:01 am

deepsudeep wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:07 pm
I hope you have winter tires, they made a huge difference. There is not much snow on the road, where are you driving?
North of Vantaa. There is no much snow but there is a small part of the road close to my place with a few loose snow.

vla

Post by vla » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 am

undertakerfreak wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 pm
I'd bet the farm that OP doesn't have winter tires. Get them; they're mandatory, and even if they weren't, why would you NOT want them on your car in winter?
I am aware of local laws, the car has winter tires.
undertakerfreak wrote:
You couldn't have lost control of the car that bad if you were going as slow as you say. And, if you were going slowly, you shouldn't have lost that much control. Then again, to someone inexperienced with winter driving, a little slip could feel like the car being washed away in a tidal wave. Definitely look into taking classes.
You are right, it wasn’t so bad, it’s just something I haven’t experienced before. I will definitely look for classes.
undertakerfreak wrote:
Also: NEVER slam the brakes when your car is slipping and sliding in wintry conditions. Probably the first thing you'll learn in class.
Noticed. Thanks!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:20 am

vla wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:04 am
You are right, it wasn’t so bad, it’s just something I haven’t experienced before.
Then go and get experience in empty parking lot. Get to know your car and your own limits. Learn to try the traction, with accelerator or with brakes. Speed limits are mostly the same be it winter or summer, so you must keep your distance to other cars in winter and begin the breaking earlier. And cornering can't be done with same speed as during summer. But car still turns, so no need to over do the slowing. Countryside with 80km/h speed limit will have most of the roads that you can't drive 80km/h.

Cars will lose traction in winter from time to time. You just need to know when to slow down. Loose snow is rarely problem in slow speeds, you just slide a bit and carry on driving. Loose snow in 100km/h when you are overtaking... those slides will end up in ditch, under the lorry or into the car coming at you.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.