Rental contract as an EU citizen

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sparjokum

Post by sparjokum » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi all,

So I am planning to move to Finland and I am wondering what is needed to make a rental contract?

Is my EU identity card enough for landlords when making the contract?

I've been browsing https://www.vuokraovi.com and am wondering in general how difficult it is for an EU citizen to get an apartment in Finland. Can it all be resolved within a day with money in hand? (deposit + first month's rent I imagine?)

Do I have to open a bank account first or can I just use cash? I'm guessing you need an address for a bank account so you would need a residence first.

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Rental contract as an EU citizen

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm

sparjokum wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:53 pm
So I am planning to move to Finland and I am wondering what is needed to make a rental contract?

A Finnish personal identity code is required for a credit check. Just an EU identity card will at least make your chances lower.
sparjokum wrote:
I've been browsing https://www.vuokraovi.com and am wondering in general how difficult it is for an EU citizen to get an apartment in Finland. Can it all be resolved within a day with money in hand? (deposit + first month's rent I imagine?)
If you manage to find a flexible landlord. Easier to start with, for example, Airbnb.
sparjokum wrote:
Do I have to open a bank account first or can I just use cash? I'm guessing you need an address for a bank account so you would need a residence first.
Couldn't you use your EU bank account? All SEPA transactions go through the same place in Belgium any way.

vla

Re: Rental contract as an EU citizen

Post by vla » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 am

sparjokum wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help.
Finland is the country that uses the less cash per capita, so bank account needed, doesn't have to be necessarily a finnish one.

You need a finnish identity number for the contract, I guess if you are EU citizen that's easy to get.

Most of the times you have to apply and the landlord select one person, so you need to be a good candidate.

You need first month rent and usually two months warranty, but it could be less.

You need a prove that you have money, usually they ask for payslips, it's not enough to have the money, you also need a job so you can pay in the future too.

I guess you would have to sort out a few things before renting, as someone already proposed maybe it's easier to start with Airbnb and then start collecting old what is needed.

By the way, is your intention to work in Finland?