My residence permit has expired!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Tom_2018

Post by Tom_2018 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 am

Hello,

I have granted a Student residence permit. Every time, I was renewing it annually on time. Last year, I decided to freeze my study for some personal reasons. I left Finland for 7 months and then came back a few days before the end of my R.Permit. When I talked with the migri.fi about how can I renew it because I can not meet one criterion (enough amount of studying hours) because I was absent during the previous period. In addition, the registration for the new academic year (Autumn 2019) will stats within 8 weeks i.e, I can apply for the new residence permit if I wait for the next March 2019. However, I have received an answer that I can not renew the R. Permit based on the study ground and I have to find another ground. Otherwise, I have to leave Finland. I can not leave Finland because I do not have another country which will accept me. Besides that, I have a housing contract and all my items here in Finland!

Now my R.Permit has expired! What shall I do right now?

Any advice!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

vla

Re: My residence permit has expired!

Post by vla » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 pm

Tom_2018 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:25 am
I can not leave Finland because I do not have another country which will accept me.
What about your own country?

I understand your situation, I just don't understand why you can apply, is it because you were living abroad for those 7 months?

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Tom_2018 wrote:
Hello,

I have granted a Student residence permit. Every time, I was renewing it annually on time. Last year, I decided to freeze my study for some personal reasons. I left Finland for 7 months and then came back a few days before the end of my R.Permit. When I talked with the migri.fi about how can I renew it because I can not meet one criterion (enough amount of studying hours) because I was absent during the previous period. In addition, the registration for the new academic year (Autumn 2019) will stats within 8 weeks i.e, I can apply for the new residence permit if I wait for the next March 2019. However, I have received an answer that I can not renew the R. Permit based on the study ground and I have to find another ground. Otherwise, I have to leave Finland. I can not leave Finland because I do not have another country which will accept me. Besides that, I have a housing contract and all my items here in Finland!

Any advice!
Leaving the country for so long while on a study permit can be seen as misuse of the permit. They will not be flexible in the conditions for renewal (as you have found out). If you have no other grounds they will make you leave. Your housing contract and your items are your problem, not Migri's.
So you better prepare for departure. If the deport you it also can come with a Shengen wide ban for several years.
I do not have another country which will accept me
I doubt it since you were away 7 months, but if it is true, you could try to ask for asylum. Even if it is denied, it would give you a few months time. Although I don't know how that will effect a new RP application.

Tom_2018

Post by Tom_2018 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:35 pm

vla wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 pm
Tom_2018 wrote:
I can not leave Finland because I do not have another country which will accept me.
What about your own country?

I understand your situation, I just don't understand why you can apply, is it because you were living abroad for those 7 months?
vla
Many thanks for your reply. My country at the moment is involved in a popular revolution against the regime. I was in another country. Regarding why I can not apply because I froze my study for one year i.e, I registered myself absent for two consecutive semesters (Autum 2018 and spring 2019). As I was not studying during that period, I did not collect enough amount of studying hours and which it is an essential requirement with the renewing application (without it, my application will not be accepted at all) to show the immigration authorities that I have progressed in my study. Hope this helps.

Tom_2018

Post by Tom_2018 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:40 pm

rinso wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:32 pm
Tom_2018 wrote:
Hello,

Any advice!
Leaving the country for so long while on a study permit can be seen as misuse of the permit. They will not be flexible in the conditions for renewal (as you have found out). If you have no other grounds they will make you leave. Your housing contract and your items are your problem, not Migri's.
So you better prepare for departure. If the deport you it also can come with a Shengen wide ban for several years.
I do not have another country which will accept me
I doubt it since you were away 7 months, but if it is true, you could try to ask for asylum. Even if it is denied, it would give you a few months time. Although I don't know how that will effect a new RP application.
rinso
Thank you very much for your reply. I have explained some points in the previous post. I will take what you have mentioned in my consideration. Again, many thanks.