Grade 1 School Admission Test

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
biswajit.sharma

Post by biswajit.sharma » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:46 am

Dear All,

Probably a topic which has been discussed earlier in the forum, so sorry if repeating.

Our Daughter (turning 7 in few weeks), has her Entrance Test scheduled in Finnish International School Tampere (FISTA).

Just wanted to understand, what kind of topics or skills children are tested on.

We understand, the children are tested in Basic English Skills.
Probably children are asked to Read/ Write and show or it is more of multiple choice questions?

Just that, coming from another country - our perception of "basic" could be very different from Finland.

This is just for some idea, not to really panic and load our child into frenzy :)
Thanks,

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

idledays

Re: Grade 1 School Admission Test

Post by idledays » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm not sure about the Tampere tests but I am a Preschool teacher in Espoo and I assume the test will be relatively similar there.

The children are generally not required to read or write in these tests. The focus should be more on understanding instructions, comprehending spoken texts and pick up on the main points of what they hear.

Some examples;

1. They will be read a short text and then have to choose the corresponding images from the ones in front of them.
2. Asked to write letters/numbers and draw shapes in a certain order uses preposition language (above, below, inside of etc).
3. They may have an interview with a couple of adults to test their language skills.

I always suggest the main thing that parents do with their children to prepare for the test is to read books to their child and ask questions about the plot and the main points. I'm assuming (from your statement about reading/writing) then your child already has a decent grasp of letters and sounds so just focus on a bit of critical thinking at this point.

Hope this helps!

biswajit.sharma

Re: Grade 1 School Admission Test

Post by biswajit.sharma » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:51 pm

idledays wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 pm
I'm not sure about the Tampere tests but I am a Preschool teacher in Espoo and I assume the test will be relatively similar there.

Hope this helps!
Thank you very much, that gives us some perspective.
Great help.