Putkiremontti: how easy is it to find temp home with pet?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
dsi11

Post by dsi11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 pm

Haudi!
I have an apartment in Helsinki (paying off mortgage) and it will have the dreaded putkiremontti (pipe renovation) in about 10-12 months time. I have an elderly, medium sized dog with me and I don't want him to be stuck in a kennel for 3-6 months during the process.

I have never looked for a rental apartment with a pet before - how easy/difficult is it to find a place to rent if you have a dog? (an old dog that does not chew furniture or run around)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

vla

Re: Putkiremontti: how easy is it to find temp home with pet?

Post by vla » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:41 pm

dsi11 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:07 pm
Haudi!
I have an apartment in Helsinki (paying off mortgage) and it will have the dreaded putkiremontti (pipe renovation) in about 10-12 months time. I have an elderly, medium sized dog with me and I don't want him to be stuck in a kennel for 3-6 months during the process.

I have never looked for a rental apartment with a pet before - how easy/difficult is it to find a place to rent if you have a dog? (an old dog that does not chew furniture or run around)
In my experience, very hard. I have signed a rental agreement a few weeks ago, and I saw a lot of apartments before taking this one. In all the apartments they were really clear that pets aren't allowed (nor smoking). I think I only saw one where they put "pets under agreement", but was only one of 20-ish.

I don't think it would matter whether the dog is old or not, a dog is a dog. Anyway I don't see it impossible (I don't own any pets so it wasn't an issue for me), just a bit harder, so be patient.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:00 am

vla wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:41 pm
I don't think it would matter whether the dog is old or not, a dog is a dog.
Exactly, the issue is that having had pets in an apartment, it can be unrentable to allergic people without a very thorough cleaning, if not renovation. Same with smoking, the smell of which is awful also to many smokers and hard to get rid of.

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Sorry but the blunt answer is it depends more on your skin colour/ background than if you have a pet or not. Finland has one of the highest ratios of dogs in the world, so finding an apartment where a dog has lived before shouldn't be a hard thing at all.

vla

Post by vla » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:54 pm

Marsh04 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:10 pm
Sorry but the blunt answer is it depends more on your skin colour/ background than if you have a pet or not. Finland has one of the highest ratios of dogs in the world, so finding an apartment where a dog has lived before shouldn't be a hard thing at all.
I disagree with this. When I was looking for apartment the information was there even before I visited the places, so they had no idea of what the skin color would be. The information was even in finnish so it doesn't have anything to do with being foreigner or whatever. Dogs smell in every part of the world so what you say it is completely irrelevant. Even people that have dogs on their own don't want other dogs to live in their apartments.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 am

Pets and smoking effectively does hundreds or thousands of euros worth of damage (considering the cost to undo the effects) to an apartment, that's why the clauses exist in rental agreements to ban them. If the tenant agrees to make the needed cleaning (which is hard, if not practically impossible) or renovation (which can be costly) after leaving, that may change the situation, but tenants are rarely willing to contractually agree to that.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:21 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:59 am
Pets and smoking effectively does hundreds or thousands of euros worth of damage (considering the cost to undo the effects) to an apartment, that's why the clauses exist in rental agreements to ban them. If the tenant agrees to make the needed cleaning (which is hard, if not practically impossible) or renovation (which can be costly) after leaving, that may change the situation, but tenants are rarely willing to contractually agree to that.
Many cleaning companies offer "allergiasiivous", allergy cleaning, that should be enough to get rid of allergens left behind cat or dog. But that is more hassle for landlord, it is easier just to put the no pets clause to rental agreement.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.