Car for the summer(s)

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ajdias

Car for the summer(s)

Post by ajdias » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 am

I remember years ago someone mentioning a friend who only used her car during the summer months (thus avoiding having to change tires, insurance and other costs.) I am toying around with the idea, as I have no need for a car for daily use but would be keen to do some travelling around Finland on my off time. Have you, or anyone you know done this?

My primary concern is storing/parking the car for winter. Are there such places, within Helsinki reach, which would be cost effective as well? If you buy a cheap enough car you may not have to worry about that, as you can just re-sell it with a loss or even dump it, but I am not sure I am confortable driving a clunker.

Car for the summer(s)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

vla

Re: Car for the summer(s)

Post by vla » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:09 am

ajdias wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 am
I remember years ago someone mentioning a friend who only used her car during the summer months (thus avoiding having to change tires, insurance and other costs.) I am toying around with the idea, as I have no need for a car for daily use but would be keen to do some travelling around Finland on my off time. Have you, or anyone you know done this?

My primary concern is storing/parking the car for winter. Are there such places, within Helsinki reach, which would be cost effective as well? If you buy a cheap enough car you may not have to worry about that, as you can just re-sell it with a loss or even dump it, but I am not sure I am confortable driving a clunker.
Can't you just park the car in the same place you park it during summer?

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 pm

That is an option. But can you leave the car in your outside parked without the ability to move it (no winter tyres, no insurance)?
That would work if you own the property, even better if closed, thus shield from from snow, wind and cold. It would def not work in a public or shared spot. But what if all you have is your apartment building spot?

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:12 am

ajdias wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 pm
But what if all you have is your apartment building spot?
As long as you're paying for the spot, you can keep your car there throughout the winter without having to move it anywhere. Of course it would be better for the car to store it inside. Space in a building, where car hobbyists keep and tinker with their vehicles, costs maybe a one or two hundred per month, depending a LOT on the location, the facilities, whether a shared space etc. Another option is to buy a carage (autotalli), even though they cost some tens of thousands of euros (and a maintenance fee, usually quite low), in larger cities they're unlikely to go down in price.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:27 pm

ajdias wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 pm
But what if all you have is your apartment building spot?
Dunno how things work elsewhere, but I've gotten notice to move my car, so the snow can be cleared, when I left it to collect snow for few weeks.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:14 am

Thanks guys.
Yes, Upphew, that would be my concern as well.

I did a quick search and found some spots from 60 eur in Pk-region and up, down to 30 in Hyvinkää (but with a year commitment). All covered, some with heating and closed spaces. So a market of sorts exists, but not at scale, and hardly bargains. I suppose people doing the seasonal thing have their own house/garage or are hobbyists with expensive toys such as convertibles.