Bank account for unemployed spouse

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
vla

Post by vla » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:14 am

Hi,

my wife is coming soon to Finland, we have two kids and one of them is 1 year old, so I understand that my wife will receive some kind of help from Kela for taking care of the youngest kid at home (the other will go to päiväkoti). I understand that this benefit is paid to her bank account so I guess she needs to open one, even when she would not get any income, at least at the beginning.

I have an account in Nordea but I understand that it's almost impossible to open an account there if you don't have a job. I like Nordea because absolutely every communication is held in english but I also understand that other banks don't work like that. But anyway, I know this is just like that and probably she will have to open an account somewhere else. So, is it possible for her to open an account in any bank without work contract? She has a two-year, type-A residence permit (so do I and my kids). Is the bank account needed for the Kela thing?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Bank account for unemployed spouse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:45 pm

vla wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:14 am
I have an account in Nordea but I understand that it's almost impossible to open an account there if you don't have a job. I like Nordea because absolutely every communication is held in english but I also understand that other banks don't work like that. But anyway, I know this is just like that and probably she will have to open an account somewhere else. So, is it possible for her to open an account in any bank without work contract? She has a two-year, type-A residence permit (so do I and my kids). Is the bank account needed for the Kela thing?
Yes it is. Every resident is entitled to a bank account. It used to be hard to get online banking but that is nowadays included in the mandatory basic banking services.

https://www.finanssivalvonta.fi/en/Cons ... -services/

vla

Post by vla » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:45 pm
vla wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:14 am
Yes it is. Every resident is entitled to a bank account. It used to be hard to get online banking but that is nowadays included in the mandatory basic banking services.

https://www.finanssivalvonta.fi/en/Cons ... -services/
So can she try Nordea or should she go to a different bank?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:04 pm

vla wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:09 pm
So can she try Nordea or should she go to a different bank?
Up to her.