Wild or lake fish at supermarkets?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
rok

Post by rok » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello,

Can someone please help me identify non-farmed, or otherwise wild, sea, or lake fish that is available at Finnish supermarkets?

I live in a small town, so going to fish markets is unfortunately not an option currently, but I would really like to find some wild fish that I can add to my weekly diet.

If such options are available, I would be grateful for the exact name(s) in Finnish. And if you're able to attach pictures, that would be amazing.

Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dsi11

Re: Wild or lake fish at supermarkets?

Post by dsi11 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:11 pm

Do you mean fresh fish that you can cook? My Finnish friends have told me that some of the white fish at the supermarkets is wild, but you need to ask the people behind the counter, and it is usually the really big supermarkets where they have them - they will have a sign or piece of paper to identify which of the fish at the counter is wild and which is farmed.

Otherwise, of course, you can always buy canned sardines and mackerel, both of which are caught wild and don't contain high levels of mercury. Tuna is also widely available, but not as healthy.

If you go to some of the ethnic stores (Asian stores in Kallio or Portuguese store in Hietaniemen Kauppahalli), you can get canned fish in different flavours from the fish cans you find in the regular Finnish grocery stores.

Some of the herring is also wild but because they get it from the Baltic Sea (heavily polluted), it is not very healthy.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Wild or lake fish at supermarkets?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:54 pm

rok wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:23 pm
If such options are available, I would be grateful for the exact name(s) in Finnish. And if you're able to attach pictures, that would be amazing.
By far the most common farmed fish is rainbow trout (kirjolohi), to a lesser extent also freshwater white fish (siika), pike-perch (kuha) and various species related to salmon and trout may be farmed. As previously mentioned, ask the seller, they should know exactly the origins of what they have. AFAIK pike (hauki) and perch (ahven),.. for sale is always wild. Pictures you can find with Google image search.