Kela medicinal reimbursement

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
bydoss

Post by bydoss » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 am

I have a chronic condition and take a drug daily, which does not appear to be covered under Kela’s list of reimbursable medicines. This drug has a list price of €600 per month and is covered in my home country. I know Kela has an annual out-of-pocket maximum for medicines of €572, but this only seems to apply to “reimbursable” medicines.

Does this mean I will be forced to pay the full price for this medication, or is there some other fallback net?

Kela annual out of pocket maximum:
https://www.kela.fi/web/en/medicine-exp ... cket-costs

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Kela medicinal reimbursement

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:47 pm

bydoss wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:22 am
I have a chronic condition and take a drug daily, which does not appear to be covered under Kela’s list of reimbursable medicines. This drug has a list price of €600 per month and is covered in my home country. I know Kela has an annual out-of-pocket maximum for medicines of €572, but this only seems to apply to “reimbursable” medicines.

Does this mean I will be forced to pay the full price for this medication, or is there some other fallback net?
Income support can be an option for people with low income and assets. You can also look into if there is a substitute that is on the covered list.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Private supplemental insurance might be an option.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:24 am

heretostay wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:14 pm
Private supplemental insurance might be an option.
They exclude pre-existing conditions.

bydoss

Post by bydoss » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks for the suggestions, but it seems I'm out of luck regarding this drug.

It appears that "The reimbursement status can only be granted to a medicine indicated for the treatment of a disease or the alleviation of symptoms."

This is unfortunate as it seems to exclude preventative medicines for people who have no active symptoms yet carry a dormant illness.

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:46 pm

"Treatment of a disease" surely includes treatment that prevents symptoms or worsening of a disease?

As long as you have a diagnosis of a chronic disease, this should not exclude cover.