Giving way to cars on the right

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
LudvigBorga

Post by LudvigBorga » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:23 am

in the US, we typically have four-way stops, where people on your right are given right of way, then it comes down to "whoever got there first goes next." same principle applies when the traffic light is out.

when I look around here, I see very few stop signs, mostly yield signs, and instead of each driver taking a turn, the driver stops and lets ALL traffic on the right pass until it's clear. is that a pretty accurate summary, that you have to let all cars go by from the right?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Giving way to cars on the right

Post by riku2 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:40 pm

you have to let all cars go by from the right
that is how the junctions work but only if all the conditions below are met
a) speed limit must be 40km/h or lower
b) the priority is not explicitly posted (road to your right does not have a give way/yield sign)
c) YOU are not on a "priority" road - which is signed with a white diamond with yellow diamond in the middle.

the whole thing is a mess though because
a) some councils have not adjusted the junctions to match the 40km/h rule (which was introduced over 15 years ago) so you will still find give way to the right on roads with 50km/h limits or higher.
b) you have to look for the back of give way signs - which may be some distance back from the actual junction and anyway it's total madness that you have to keep a look out for the BACKS of road signs!!
c) you are supposed to remember if there was a yellow diamond priority sign earlier on your road. in Holland they have them just before each junction to remind you of the priority in place.

when i've bought up the lack of signed priority with local councils they say it's a question of money to replace the junctions with something more modern (roundabouts? hello!). so things are only done in conjunction with major pipe work. otherwise they admit the locals have learned the junctions and that's good enough for now.