Prevent kitchen smell from going out

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agroot

Post by agroot » Sun May 26, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm cooking with crock-pot (slow cooker) and just noticed somehow entire apartment stair smells of my soup. The vent near ceiling must have been pulling all odor from it. What should I do? Move it to be under extract-hood and turn on the noisy fan? Or something I can install to prevent it? I don't mind it in my home but the apartment stair is...

PS: I use the slow cooker a lot. Going to cook 24 hours this time.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Y77

Re: Prevent kitchen smell from going out

Post by Y77 » Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 am

be very careful with that, finnish people are very sentive to smells. If you go to the pool,and other public places you'll notice signs everywhere that tell you not to tuoksu. The risk is that you'll have many people in your block to start to dislike you, maybe not openly but hidden little things...your bike suddenly has got flat tires, your clothes disappear from the drying clothing area and things like that...Put your self in their shoes, you come back home in the evening after a long hard day at work and the hole block stinks like chinese leftover, not nice is it? What's wrong with boiled potaetos and ruisleipä and edam, by the way?

vla

Post by vla » Mon May 27, 2019 9:30 am

Y77 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 7:13 am
be very careful with that, finnish people are very sentive to smells. If you go to the pool,and other public places you'll notice signs everywhere that tell you not to tuoksu. The risk is that you'll have many people in your block to start to dislike you, maybe not openly but hidden little things...your bike suddenly has got flat tires, your clothes disappear from the drying clothing area and things like that...Put your self in their shoes, you come back home in the evening after a long hard day at work and the hole block stinks like chinese leftover, not nice is it? What's wrong with boiled potaetos and ruisleipä and edam, by the way?
I guess that's why everyone (secretly) hates to have asian neighbours :lol:

Just kidding by the way. We used to have an asian guy in our building, very nice guy by the way, we used to spend lot of time with him, but everyone hated when he cooked.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Tue May 28, 2019 7:45 am

It doesn’t matter how nice the person is. Nobody enjoys a smelly staircase. I hope you won’t scream “racism “ when your neighbor’s attitude starts changing

agroot

Post by agroot » Wed May 29, 2019 7:30 pm

I wasn't cooking anything asian. It's more like vegetable soup but the smell went out anyway - how can I stop that? There are holes on the lid of slow cooker... :?

riku2

Post by riku2 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 pm

but the apartment stair is
do you have double doors between the apartment and the stairs? the internal door can be airtight with seals around it. this also stops more noise. the outer door probably has a slot for letters in it, so can't be 100% airtight. but with a second airtight door the only way the smell gets into the stairwell is when you open/close the door, plus there is better noise insulation as well. It will probably cost 500-1000e to change the door to this type though.
we had our apartment renovated and all doors changed to this airtight acoustic door - it's fantastic now, no noise when anyone uses the bathroom, one person can go to bed and the other watches tv in the next room. no sound travels through the door.

agroot

Post by agroot » Wed May 29, 2019 8:28 pm

riku2 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:51 pm
but the apartment stair is
do you have double doors between the apartment and the stairs? the internal door can be airtight with seals around it. this also stops more noise. the outer door probably has a slot for letters in it, so can't be 100% airtight. but with a second airtight door the only way the smell gets into the stairwell is when you open/close the door, plus there is better noise insulation as well. It will probably cost 500-1000e to change the door to this type though.
No and it's rented - can I do the type of change myself? There is no other door I can close. But actually I could hardly smell anything in the entry/hallway (bedroom is between kitchen and entry), which is why I didn't notice in the first place. I suspect the smell went from the vent (outside/above range hood) to the stairs somehow...