Winter preparation?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agroot

Winter preparation?

Post by agroot » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:39 am

Can't wait for the snow! :D What should I prepare for winter? First time here.

Clothing: I have tons of sweaters and thermal shirts but only one water-resistant double layer jacket and one pair of water-resistant pants used for skiing (both were okay under zero or -5C). Are they going to be needed everyday in winter? What about the thermal "under-pants" worn inside normal pants? Wool socks? Shoe chains/spikes for walking on snow?

Home: do people need dehumidifier for clothes or shoes to dry in winter? indoor humidity has increased to over 50% recently! Or clothes drying cabinet? Will I be able to open windows to freshen up the air?

Winter preparation?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Winter preparation?

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:33 am

agroot wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:39 am

Home: do people need dehumidifier for clothes or shoes to dry in winter? indoor humidity has increased to over 50% recently! Or clothes drying cabinet? Will I be able to open windows to freshen up the air?
Cold outside air makes indoor air dry. Windows can be opened long enough to vent the air inside.

vla

Post by vla » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:53 am

agroot wrote:
Can't wait for the snow! :D What should I prepare for winter? First time here.

Clothing: I have tons of sweaters and thermal shirts but only one water-resistant double layer jacket and one pair of water-resistant pants used for skiing (both were okay under zero or -5C). Are they going to be needed everyday in winter? What about the thermal "under-pants" worn inside normal pants? Wool socks? Shoe chains/spikes for walking on snow?

In my opinion you only need a jacket most of the time. In my case, I only wear a base layer when is below -10, if not, a normal jeans is OK. Of course, it would depend on your tolerance to cold.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:03 pm

Thanks!!! :D

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:03 am

agroot wrote:
indoor humidity has increased to over 50% recently! Or clothes drying cabinet? Will I be able to open windows to freshen up the air?
It's actually more common for people to have humidifiers than dehumidifiers in Finland. In the winter the air is really dry and the continuous ventilation in most houses means its dry inside too. When it's -30 outside you get static shocks a lot since there is next to no humidity and you'll need some hand cream since your skin gets over dry as well.

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 am

riku2 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:03 am
It's actually more common for people to have humidifiers than dehumidifiers in Finland. In the winter the air is really dry and the continuous ventilation in most houses means its dry inside too. When it's -30 outside you get static shocks a lot since there is next to no humidity and you'll need some hand cream since your skin gets over dry as well.
Does ventilation work faster when it's colder outside??

It's a lot more dry in office with far more static than at home (apartment), for some reason I dunno. How low the indoor humidity can be?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 am

agroot wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 am
How low the indoor humidity can be?
Outside -10C, 95% humidity. When that air is heated to +20C humidity is 11%. So when it is cold for long time the indoor humidity can get really low.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:08 pm

agroot wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:00 am
riku2 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:03 am
Does ventilation work faster when it's colder outside??

It's a lot more dry in office with far more static than at home (apartment), for some reason I dunno. How low the indoor humidity can be?
In gravity based systems it does for sure.

agroot

Post by agroot » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:47 pm

Upphew wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 am
Outside -10C, 95% humidity. When that air is heated to +20C humidity is 11%. So when it is cold for long time the indoor humidity can get really low.
Thanks a lot! :shock: Now need to budget for big humidifier...

harakka

Post by harakka » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Depends on where you live and what you're planning on doing. If you're a city dweller in the capital region and you spend a lot of time indoors e. g. taking public transportation, I don't think you need to prep much.

At least get a beanie, scarf and gloves. Down jackets (even the cheap ones) are warm and lightweight, and everyone seems to be wearing them.

If you're outdoors only for a while, you can layer normal pants and ski pants - easy enough to remove the outer layer when you get to the destination. You can also layer thermal underwear and normal pants, but it's more awkward to remove the inner layer if it gets too hot.

If you're up north or have outdoorsy hobbies, then thermal undies and ski pants are a good combo.

I let my clothes dry on a clothes drying rack, and they'll always dry eventually.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 pm

harakka wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:33 pm
I let my clothes dry on a clothes drying rack, and they'll always dry eventually.
Really fast during winter. And that also helps to keep some moisture in the air.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

agroot

Post by agroot » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Upphew wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 pm
Really fast during winter. And that also helps to keep some moisture in the air.
Does this mean people generally don't use leather sofa or any furniture with leather upholstering here? Leather would start breaking when humidity is too low yes?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:55 pm

agroot wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm
Upphew wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:16 pm
Does this mean people generally don't use leather sofa or any furniture with leather upholstering here? Leather would start breaking when humidity is too low yes?
They do.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:09 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:55 pm
agroot wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm
They do.
So... people keep the heaters off when they're on vacation?? How cold would it be inside on the coldest winter days in Uusimaa, without the heater on? Would it affect others in the same building? The water tank in humidifier can only last a few days...