Winter preparation?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
betelgeuse

Re: Winter preparation?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 am

agroot wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:09 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:55 pm
agroot wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm
Does this mean people generally don't use leather sofa or any furniture with leather upholstering here? Leather would start breaking when humidity is too low yes?
They do.
So... people keep the heaters off when they're on vacation?? How cold would it be inside on the coldest winter days in Uusimaa, without the heater on? Would it affect others in the same building? The water tank in humidifier can only last a few days...
Turning heat off in the winter is dangerous. If pipes freeze, there can be a lot of damage.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:49 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:13 am
Turning heat off in the winter is dangerous. If pipes freeze, there can be a lot of damage.
I see. So how do people keep their home humid if they leave it for like one month? Put bowls of water on floor?

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:41 pm

Put bowls of water on floor?
it works

agroot

Post by agroot » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:19 am

New problem: humidifier is really, very noisy at bedtime, with occasional sound of water filling and air coming out (constant noise would have been tolerable). What do people do with that? If I move it to another room, it'd be too wet there but still dry where I sleep yes? :|

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 am

I have a humidifier that's very quiet - the water vapour coming out is cold - I presume it ionises it rather than heating it.

Anyway there are different types, and some are a lot quieter.

Bowls of water, though ... very quiet ...

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:18 am

SecretCode wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 am
I have a humidifier that's very quiet - the water vapour coming out is cold - I presume it ionises it rather than heating it.
Ultrasonic? I wouldn't use one as it puts all the minerals from the water into the air.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:26 pm

Upphew wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:18 am
SecretCode wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:35 am
Ultrasonic? I wouldn't use one as it puts all the minerals from the water into the air.
Yep. I didn't know there are different types! :oops: Turning down the output and disabling warming seem to help.

I have gathered almost everything! Last is trousers: Do people have to wear soft shell trousers in -20C? I assume it's like the kind for ski but maybe cheaper? plastic surface, wind and water resistant? (instead of gore tex / waterproof) And what about wool socks? Both are very expensive compared to ordinary clothes... (a pair of ugly pants for 150!!!)

Valinnan vapaus

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:11 am

If you're paying 150€ for any piece of non-specialized clothing, you're doing it wrong... most things you can find in second hand stores (in good condition too) for much less.

The key, in any case, is to have several layers of clothes that you can mix and match from depending on the temperature. Those auto-drying (dunno what they're made of) long sports underwear is something I'm currently wearing two layers of and just some ordinary track suit pants on top.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Valinnan vapaus wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:11 am
If you're paying 150€ for any piece of non-specialized clothing, you're doing it wrong... most things you can find in second hand stores (in good condition too) for much less.

The key, in any case, is to have several layers of clothes that you can mix and match from depending on the temperature. Those auto-drying (dunno what they're made of) long sports underwear is something I'm currently wearing two layers of and just some ordinary track suit pants on top.
I guess the problem is my pants here are almost exclusively tight jeans. Are the ordinary track suit pants of yours cotton or plastic, nylon? Is that combination okay when outdoor is -20C?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:39 am

agroot wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:38 pm
Valinnan vapaus wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:11 am

I guess the problem is my pants here are almost exclusively tight jeans. Are the ordinary track suit pants of yours cotton or plastic, nylon? Is that combination okay when outdoor is -20C?
I'd rather use woolen long johns and not so tight jeans. Or wool trousers.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Upphew wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:39 am
I'd rather use woolen long johns and not so tight jeans. Or wool trousers.
Thanks! I suppose I shouldn't bought tight jeans... There is a single pair of wool trousers which I haven't worn since global warming hit and our winter turned above 15C. I recall it's also expensive and seems very delicate and not durable...

Well I'm troubled by the high unexpected cost and now trying to cut it. Not sure if I'm doing right, because I aim to stock 4 pairs of winter trousers by the end of this year, plus half a dozen thermal underwear and some fleece jacket as ski mid layer in addition to existing sweaters, and maybe half a dozen of wool toe-socks too (some reviewers complain about broken after a few times of washing). Or maybe it doesn't have to be urgent? I had only experienced subzero temp for a single day before and was wearing my only ski outfit :roll: No idea how cold it will be in January or February.

Best cost-saving solution so far seems to be some clothing shops from Poland making ECWCS (Extended Cold Weather Clothing System) grade clothes with non-army looks. Nothing I can find locally (dunno if I can trust those made in china...)

inkku

Post by inkku » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:40 pm

Buy second hand stuff at UFF or Fida.
Or at the sales after the Xmas time.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 pm

inkku wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:40 pm
Buy second hand stuff at UFF or Fida.
I did buy stuff there time to time but they can't really be considered as a reliable supplier to meet my winter clothing requirements. In fact most shops here are not because of my size :? (the only exception is jeans, guess it's because jeans are unisex).
inkku wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:40 pm
Or at the sales after the Xmas time.
Even for on-season clothes? Thanks! :D

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:18 pm

agroot wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:32 pm
Well I'm troubled by the high unexpected cost and now trying to cut it. Not sure if I'm doing right, because I aim to stock 4 pairs of winter trousers by the end of this year, plus half a dozen thermal underwear and some fleece jacket as ski mid layer in addition to existing sweaters, and maybe half a dozen of wool toe-socks too (some reviewers complain about broken after a few times of washing). Or maybe it doesn't have to be urgent? I had only experienced subzero temp for a single day before and was wearing my only ski outfit :roll: No idea how cold it will be in January or February.
How much time are you spending outside?
Standing the whole day outside needs proper clothing.
For walking 5 minutes to the metro jeans are good enough at any temperature.

vla

Post by vla » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:18 pm
agroot wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:32 pm
How much time are you spending outside?
Standing the whole day outside needs proper clothing.
For walking 5 minutes to the metro jeans are good enough at any temperature.
Totally agree. I wear only jeans (I also use skinny, tight jeans) when the temperature is up to -10 degrees, when temperatures are lower than -10 I use a first layer under the jeans and that's good enough, at least to -26 I have tried that. That's for normal city use, that is going to work, going to the grocery store, visit some friends, take a walk in the evening (15 minutos or so).

When I go for a walk in the forest for a few hours then I use a proper winter hiking trousers.