KELA and financial aids for student

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:38 pm

My wife (non-EU) came to Finland to study, and after graduation, she got a job. And at the same time, she wanted to continue her studies (another degree) so she enrolled in another university to study in the evening. She has recently quit her job because of the new structure changes and they are not really good anymore. She's still studying, though. Now that she's still looking for a job meaning that she doesn't have any income, so she wants to ask for some help from KELA while she's looking for another job (she doesn't want to depend too much on me)

For unemployment benefits, because she's studying, KELA won't give it, that's fine, it's a valid reason. After reading about the financial aids for student, we think that she should be eligible (Working Permit A that has nothing to do with studying). However, KELA says otherwise, their reason for rejecting her is that because she has been continuously studying since she comes to Finland, she's not eligible for the financial aids due to her main purpose to stay in Finland is study. We were confused to say the least when hearing that kind of reason... shouldn't one's reason to stay in Finland based on their permit type?

About the permit, she was in B permit for 2 years (her first study) and then work permit for 1 year (her 1st permit) and currently she has a 4 year working permit

We are going to have another appointment with KELA to talk about this matter because their reason is just... weird. But before that I just want to ask if there is anyone in the same situation? Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: KELA and financial aids for student

Post by rinso » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:08 pm

Being a foreign student disqualifies you for a lot of things according to a limited Kela interpretation. I don't know if it is correct but it would cost a lot of time and energy complaining and appealing.
An other problem is that since you don't work anymore the reason for your residence permit is void. (Kela also could use that argument). You should look into it and maybe change it for an rp as a family member.

farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:33 pm

KELA has a really weird system... they said that she doesn't get the financial aid because she got B permit (for studying) in the past. Therefore, her purpose to stay in Finland is ALWAYS study (???) no matter her current type of permit, and the same applies for me too because I came to Finland to study (even though I have been working for 5 years now). So, even I won't be able to get any financial aid or any benefits if I need one because I came here to study.

I have scheduled another date to talk about this matter with the one who made the decision. I have been working and paying taxes for 5 years and KELA said that I am not entitled to any benefits because I came here to study.... I am furious just hearing that...
Last edited by farfaraway on Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Paying taxes (or working) does not qualify you for whatever social aid you think you are entitled to.

farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:05 am

inkku wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:05 pm
Paying taxes (or working) does not qualify you for whatever social aid you think you are entitled to.
I am curious... what kind of social aids/benefits are (foreigner) tax payers like myself entitled to?

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 am

farfaraway wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:05 am
inkku wrote:
I am curious... what kind of social aids/benefits are (foreigner) tax payers like myself entitled to?
When your residence permit requires you to have a minimum income (rp work, study) means that you have to be self-supporting (no social benefits). The only thing I can think of is child support.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:00 am

rinso wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 am
farfaraway wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:05 am
inkku wrote:
When your residence permit requires you to have a minimum income (rp work, study) means that you have to be self-supporting (no social benefits). The only thing I can think of is child support.
The Aliens Act only references income support (or equivalent). Even that is ok to use temporarily. Everything else is fair game: sickness allowance, cheaper medicine, housing allowance etc. You just need to be eligible under the rules for the benefit in question.

farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:27 am

rinso wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 am
betelgeuse wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:00 am
The Aliens Act only references income support (or equivalent). Even that is ok to use temporarily. Everything else is fair game: sickness allowance, cheaper medicine, housing allowance etc. You just need to be eligible under the rules for the benefit in question.
I am puzzled by KELA's answer because on their website (https://www.kela.fi/web/en/financial-ai ... ligibility), they say that
If you are not a Finnish citizen and have come to Finland for study purposes, the general rule is that you cannot get financial aid from Finland.

However, you may qualify for financial aid if

- you have been granted a continuous (A) or permanent (P) residence permit or an EU residence permit for third-country nationals (P-EU or P-EY). If you are a citizen of another EU or EEA country or of Switzerland, the family member of such a person, or a citizen of a Nordic country, you only have to register your right of residence or present your residence card.
My wife and me have the (A) permit, so that's not a problem. KELA said that we are not eligible for financial aids mainly because we came here to study, so it doesn't matter what kind of permit we have, our purpose in Finland is ALWAYS for study. I always thought that someone's purpose to stay in Finland was determined by their current permit and not by their first permit, but apparently not according to KELA. I'm gonna ask for the specific law section about this one (even if it's in Finnish) during our next appointment with KELA because it sounds very unreasonable and illogical (at least to me).

Based on that logic, if someone else comes to Finland for work or marriage or whatever reason other than study, they might have more chance for the financial aids (in case they need) than someone who came to Finland for studying and then stay to work. Which is IMO a very discriminate way to treat people who came to study and then stay...

newborn

Post by newborn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:00 pm

farfaraway wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:27 am

If you are not a Finnish citizen and have come to Finland for study purposes, the general rule is that you cannot get financial aid from Finland.

However, you may qualify for financial aid if

- you have been granted a continuous (A) or permanent (P) residence permit or an EU residence permit for third-country nationals (P-EU or P-EY). If you are a citizen of another EU or EEA country or of Switzerland, the family member of such a person, or a citizen of a Nordic country, you only have to register your right of residence or present your residence card.
My wife and me have the (A) permit, so that's not a problem. .......
[/quote]

PLEASE read it again: "you may qualify for financial aid if......"

It is because it most probably means that if someone has come to Finland as a refugee/stateless person/political asylum seeker or such and has got A type permit, then s/he starts to study, s/he would probably get financial aid. However, if someone has come to Finland as a student and has got A type permit (even 4 years A type), would not get financial until s/he becomes Finnish citizen or gets P type residence permit.