credit history

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
fintel

credit history

Post by fintel » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:20 pm

I would like to know how to build credit history in Finland for someone who just received their personal identity number. In USA all one had to do was to visit your local electronics store and buy something on credit and that would start your credit file. How can I start some credit going here in Finland?

Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

credit history

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: credit history

Post by heretostay » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:51 am

There is no equivalent credit reporting system here. Only a negative registry.

fintel

Post by fintel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm

heretostay wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:51 am
Are parking tickets and police speeding fines reported to the negative registry?
Image ulkomaalaisella henkilöä

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:48 pm

fintel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm
heretostay wrote:
Are parking tickets and police speeding fines reported to the negative registry?
It depends. It goes first to enforcement records and if you are not able to pay it goes to the negative registry. The enforcement records are also public so, for example, landlords can check both enforcement and credit.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:55 pm

fintel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:27 pm
heretostay wrote:
Why would they be reported if you pay them on time? And if you can't pay them on time, why don't you ask more time? https://www.oikeusrekisterikeskus.fi/en ... spite.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 pm

Without a credit history system, how do you get better interest rate here, for credit card installment or housing loan for example?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 am

agroot wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:39 pm
Without a credit history system, how do you get better interest rate here, for credit card installment or housing loan for example?
Interest rates are more standardized here. They look at income, assets, work history, total debt, etc. when you apply for a loan or credit.

inkku

Post by inkku » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:39 pm

The interest rate for housing loans consists of two parts: the base rate (marginaali, viitekorko) and the standard rate such as euribor 3/6/12months. The first part is personal. So far, the assumption in Finland has been that the clients pay back the loans they take, therefore less attention has been paid to the credit history. However, lately, there has been a discussion about limiting the amount/percentage of loans people can take, and the need to verify positive credit history has been raised. But we are still far away.
Viitekorko the banks give to you depends on many factors: they look at your history as their client, your spending patterns and saving capacity, your income level, and your work contract. And it depends on your negotiation skills, you can ask offers from several banks and then try to negotiate.
Possibly also your employment history, employability, the industry you work in might have some influence, that one I don't know for sure but I would guess so.

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:40 am

Luckily the system doesn't force you to take credits here. It's better to stay clear of credits unless there is no other option or you are financially sound and get some benefits for using/taking credit (e.g Norwegian card etc)