2 problems with Finnish post!!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Valinnan vapaus

Re: 2 problems with Finnish post!!

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:32 pm

Why are you assuming it's the Finnish mail service that's to blame?

Are you sure you couldn't have found this on your own? :|
https://www.posti.fi/en/customer-suppor ... or-private

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:36 pm

tkt234 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:16 pm
2) Wrong postal code resulted in item going to wrong location in Finland, but after postal code was corrected it went to right location
:D
Wrong phone number resulted wrong person answering, but after right number was dialed right person answered.

I don't think the problem in that case was with Posti.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Piet

Post by Piet » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:52 pm

I feel your pain,

On average, 4 out of 10 packages do not arrive at my place (capital area), mostly because I never receive a pick-up notice. (these statistics are from the last 3 years with an average of 35 packages a year).

Nowadays, I only find out if the item is ready for pick up when I regularly check on-line the tracking code of another EU country.
As soon as the tracking code is a native Chinese code, forget about your package, it will never arrive.
If it does not fit the postbox, don't buy it outside of EU unless it is delivered by DHL or UPS (at your door).

I have never ever lived in a country where the postal services are that bad as here in Finland.
Even my tax papers do not arrive (yes my address is correct), had to ask twice from the tax office for resending them, last time they sent it to me with tracking, then it arrived. Same counts for bank papers, blessed are the electronic invoicing and on-line banking.

It is almost like the postal services select on your foreign last name, one of my adopted kids, always gets his mail, he still has his old Finnish last name instead of mine, (and I advised him that he should keep that!!).

I can totally agree on the postal services in this country being a major screw-up and getting worse every year / month / day.

Examples of mistakes made by posti:
1) when entering the country of Finland, a Finnish bar code is applied on the package, then the foreign bar code is scanned instead and the package ends up as undeliverable and being returned to the sender (happened to me 3 times).
2) tracking code shows delivered in Kuopio (was sent to captial area remember!!)
3) Package was lost for 3 weeks and found back in Rovaniemi (was sent to capital area remember!!)
4) Package was lost while sent back to sender due to unreadable bar code, later (2 months) to be found back and the reason for getting lost was the Posti bar code stickered over the international one.
5) Item delivered to post box 1,5 years after sending!!!!!!

etc.etc.

If these were just incidents, ok, mistakes can happen, but sadly this seems to be the new normal. (5 years ago it was not this bad yet, only 1 out of 10 did not arrive).

So....Finnish post is and has never been perfect, and for sure will never be any more with all the staff cuts.
Maybe we should blame the Chinese for this, they have nice deals for sending packages, just check ebay, most is free of charge, items cost 5 euro and sending is free.... how can that be, someone has to pay the bill.

good luck with the posti lottery carousel :lol:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Valinnan vapaus

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:59 pm

Well I have little experience with international shipping (esp. outwards) so I can only say I've never had issues with domestic mail.

agroot

Post by agroot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:36 pm

Eh, I too live in capital area and haven't got any serious problem except when using a private smartpost once and had to reroute (fortunately those are filtered now, probably based on my address). Their online chat support works.

It's true the pickup notice rarely comes and often a week late if it did come. I just use the posti app, put foreign tracking code manually (they sometimes miss those) and get notice from there. It takes only 2-3 days to reach pick up point once arrived in Finland.

They're a great improvement over the postal services in previous countries I lived, one of them don't even have reliable UPS thanks to a messed up address system.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:54 am

Could I ask something here? When a foreigner moves in Finland, does he need to declare his address to post office to receive letters? When it is safe to give my address to someone send me a letter?

Thanks!

agroot

Post by agroot » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:54 pm

gmarkoma wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:54 am
Could I ask something here? When a foreigner moves in Finland, does he need to declare his address to post office to receive letters? When it is safe to give my address to someone send me a letter?

Thanks!
Yes, see https://www.posti.fi/changeaddress/ and also to set the pickup point on OmaPosti app to nearest location, usually a grocery shop with Posti service.

I gave it as soon my home contract was signed because it'd take some time for them to update. You must have an address to receive ATM/debit card from bank and other things.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:20 am

Thanks I have signed already an apartment contract but I will atrive there on August 11th. I will check the link.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:45 pm

gmarkoma wrote:
A letter should arrive as long as address and apartment number are correct.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:04 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:45 pm
gmarkoma wrote:
Thanks, whatever, the name of the recipient?

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:55 pm

gmarkoma wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:04 am
FinlandGirl wrote:
gmarkoma wrote:
I do not think Posti would care if there was no name at all on the letter, except when the former tenant has requested mail forwarding.
If you are registered to live in apartment 22 and your name is on the door of apartment 22, chances are a letter addressed to your name and apartment 21 will be thrown through the door of apartment 21.

gmarkoma

Post by gmarkoma » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:09 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:55 pm
gmarkoma wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:04 am
FinlandGirl wrote:

I do not think Posti would care if there was no name at all on the letter, except when the former tenant has requested mail forwarding.
If you are registered to live in apartment 22 and your name is on the door of apartment 22, chances are a letter addressed to your name and apartment 21 will be thrown through the door of apartment 21.
ok, thanks a lot!