Beware of air norwegian

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Y77

Beware of air norwegian

Post by Y77 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:38 pm

they have managed to change my flight time 3 times on 2 flights next december! which means I have to change train tickets and pay for an extra overnight stay at helsinki airport. Does anybody know if I'm entitled to some sort of compensation for this? Their customer service is awful and if they reply at all they attach link to pages that don't exist. I only booked with them to use the points I got through their credit card, otherwise I wouldn't even have booked with them in the first place...

Beware of air norwegian

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Beware of air norwegian

Post by riku2 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 pm

if you are told of this at least 14 days in advance then there is no compensation even though you have incurred additional expense. Norwegian offer a refund if you are unhappy (and the schedule change is > 1 hour).
This policy and compensation is pretty much the same for all airlines, the difference with Norwegian is they have fewer planes and they are more subject to changes / cancellations should they have problems with some of their fleet. Airlines like BA and Finnair will temporarily rent planes to fill in the gaps should there be a shortage due to maintenance / damage issues. Norwegian don't do this, they just cancel / reschedule instead.
They are also not in an alliance. Finnair can rebook you onto BA, CX, AA etc. Lufthansa will do it with SAS, UA. Norwegian have no alliance partners and will not want to pay full fare to another airline to handle passengers during problems.

This is the price you pay for travelling with Norwegian - you save money if everything goes ok but things not so good when there are problems (irregular operations - irrops in airline speak).

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:49 pm

You'd think the country would want such an airline named something else. Elf Air, maybe. As it is, it's an invitation to Norwegian jokes.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:18 pm

We had once a flight delayed from BKk with 24h due to broken aircraft, they arrange accommodation and meals and got the compensation directly from them. In a different case with Austrian, only with airhelp we could get the compensation.

Victor11

Post by Victor11 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:15 pm

I have regular travel destination that I once booked on Norwegian ..not even water is free .. while Turkish airlines offer all service with half the price !! Literally 520€ Norwegian and 240€ for theTurkish ! I'm not promoting here to any airlines but they are not as cheap and saving as advertised

Y77

Post by Y77 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:51 am

riku2 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:21 pm
if you are told of this at least 14 days in advance then there is no compensation even though you have incurred additional expense. Norwegian offer a refund if you are unhappy (and the schedule change is > 1 hour).
This policy and compensation is pretty much the same for all airlines, the difference with Norwegian is they have fewer planes and they are more subject to changes / cancellations should they have problems with some of their fleet. Airlines like BA and Finnair will temporarily rent planes to fill in the gaps should there be a shortage due to maintenance / damage issues. Norwegian don't do this, they just cancel / reschedule instead.
They are also not in an alliance. Finnair can rebook you onto BA, CX, AA etc. Lufthansa will do it with SAS, UA. Norwegian have no alliance partners and will not want to pay full fare to another airline to handle passengers during problems.

This is the price you pay for travelling with Norwegian - you save money if everything goes ok but things not so good when there are problems (irregular operations - irrops in airline speak).
Thanks for the insight into their working model. I decided to stop using their credit card, because I decided not to fly with them anymore, therefore I won't be using their painfully rewarding points anymore. I'm getting a new credit card completely free, like norwegian, but that gives cashback straight in euros, so I can use them where I want.

Y77

Post by Y77 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Something that I forgot to mention about the change in schedule: all the notifications are sent simply by email, not text msg, so you just have to hope they don't end up by mistake in your spam folder, otherwise you are really screwed, you get to Vantaa and you find out that your plane left 6 hrs earlier! Thanks air Not wegian