Indoor Swimming Pool Safety Regulations in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 am

Swimming is one of my favorite activities, and one reason why I am trying to convince my husband that we should move back to Finland, is that the swimming facilities are much better and cheaper to use in Finland than what we have here in the U.S.

Question about the current indoor pool safety regulations in Finland: does anyone know if the indoor pools are evacuated nowadays for safety during thunderstorms (in other words do the lifeguards order everyone out of the water at the INDOOR pools during a thunderstorm and then let everyone back in the pool after the storm has passed)?

They do this at the indoor swimming pools in the U.S. and many people knowledgable about electrical safety argue that it is a ridiculous policy. I don't ever remember them doing this during the years that I lived in Finland, but my husband said he thought he remembered reading somewhere in the recent past that they have started doing this at indoor swimming pools there, but can't find again where he read that.

Thanks in advance for any information.
Last edited by Caroline on Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Indoor Swimming Pool Safety Regulations in Finland

Post by Upphew » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:53 am

Caroline wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:50 am
Swimming is one of my favorite activities, and one reason why I am trying to convince my husband that we should move back to Finland, is that the swimming facilities are much better and cheaper to use in Finland than what we have here in the U.S.

Question about the current indoor pool safety regulations in Finland: does anyone know if the indoor pools are evacuated nowadays for safety during thunderstorms (in other words do the lifeguards order everyone out of the water at the INDOOR pools during a thunderstorm and then let everyone back in the pool after the storm has passed)?

They do this at the indoor swimming pools in the U.S. and many people knowledgable about electricity argue that it is a ridiculous policy. I don't ever remember them doing this during the years that I lived in Finland, but my husband said he thought he remembered reading somewhere in the recent past that they have started doing this at indoor swimming pools there, but can't find again where he read that.

Thanks in advance for any information.
This was closest that I found:
"UKKONEN ON yksi riskitekijä Serenan kaltaisissa vesipuistoissa, joissa on myös ulkoaltaita. Järvisen mukaan ukkosen lähestyessä ulkoaltaat suljetaan väliaikaisesti. Päätöksen tekee uimavalvonnan esimies sääennusteiden ja sääkarttojen perusteella."
https://www.hs.fi/kotimaa/art-2000005267129.html
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:58 pm

kiitoksia Upphew

This policy requires closing outdoor pools ("ulkoaltaat") which is definitely sensible. I'll keep asking around about the policy on indoor pools. I see that the swim hall websites have an online live chat option and I think I'll try to ask there, but it's difficult because of the time zone difference and the fact that it's difficult for me to use my phone during work.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:06 am

I finally found out from the Facebook group "Liikkuva Oulu" that in Finland indoor swimming pools are NOT evacuated during thunderstorms.