About tax card for an unemployed

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Thalia12

Post by Thalia12 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 pm

Hi,

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend who recently received a tax card for 2020 without requesting for it. He is from an EU country and registered here in Finland. We have lived together a little bit over a year now, and he is unemployed and only studying for his incoming exam. Does anyone know why he receives a tax card and does he have to pay for the tax stated in the tax card? For some reason, the tax card says that his base income is 15000e and he will need to pay approx. 200e for taxes. He said that he never gave such information, as he is not working and he is only living with his savings at the moment. I am thinking that it might just be a blank tax card which is given to every registered residence, working or not. And also, he is not receiving any benefits from Kela or from his home country. Any ideas if he needs to pay for this?

Thank you so much in advance!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: About tax card for an unemployed

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:14 am

Thalia12 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 pm
For some reason, the tax card says that his base income is 15000e and he will need to pay approx. 200e for taxes.
Thalia12 wrote:
Any ideas if he needs to pay for this?
The tax card defines the taxes withheld in an employment (it is not even the exact actual tax that will be calculated in the following year).
If your boyfriend does not have any kind of income (from Finland or anywhere else in the world) he does not have to pay taxes.
If your boyfriend would earn 15000e his employer would withhold 200e in taxes.

nimap

Post by nimap » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:17 am

Thalia12 wrote:
Hi,

I am writing on behalf of my boyfriend who recently received a tax card for 2020 without requesting for it. He is from an EU country and registered here in Finland. We have lived together a little bit over a year now, and he is unemployed and only studying for his incoming exam. Does anyone know why he receives a tax card and does he have to pay for the tax stated in the tax card? For some reason, the tax card says that his base income is 15000e and he will need to pay approx. 200e for taxes. He said that he never gave such information, as he is not working and he is only living with his savings at the moment. I am thinking that it might just be a blank tax card which is given to every registered residence, working or not. And also, he is not receiving any benefits from Kela or from his home country. Any ideas if he needs to pay for this?

Thank you so much in advance!
You can trash it or frame it as first gift from vero (more gift to come later :P)

that's just estimate of potential earnings for this year, he'll only pay once he starts earning. you can keep that card which states tax%, it could be given to future employer or make a new one online when needed.

200e for 15k gross sounds too less but might be due to new tax change law.

Thalia12

Post by Thalia12 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Thank you all for the answers. :) We called Vero and they said that every residence gets a tax card even thought they are unemployed.