Delay in kela application

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
aakalim

Post by aakalim » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 pm

We got married in Finland in August and soon after that my wife applied for the residence permit on the basis of family ties. She got the residence permit almost two months ago. She then applied for the kela health card, but never got any reply from kela. Just last week she went to kela to inquire about her application and she was told that her application is on hold since her marriage is not registered in their system. This came as a surprise to us since we were told by the maistratti office that we don't need to separately register our marriage and it will be registered automatically at the time of marriage in the maistratti system and in the population register.

She went to the maistratti today and it turns out that her municipality of residence is also still not registered in the kela system. We thought that once she gets the residence permit, her municipality of residence will be automatically be registered in the population register. Turns out that was a mistake on our part. Anyways, now she has applied in maistratti for registration, but maistratti is now saying that her application for the registration of address and the marriage will take almost 8 weeks! We think that is too excessive. My wife suffers from a serious disease and her symptoms are flaring up right now. She needs to see a doctor and gets some tests done. after registering in maistratti she will the have to followup on the kela application and that will also take some time, possibly months. Without a kela card, we will have to go to private hospitals and we cannot afford that right now. So my question is: is there any way we can expedite the whole procedure? 8 weeks seem too excessive for just registering the municipality of residence and the marriage!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Delay in kela application

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:48 pm

aakalim wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:22 pm
She went to the maistratti today and it turns out that her municipality of residence is also still not registered in the kela system. We thought that once she gets the residence permit, her municipality of residence will be automatically be registered in the population register. Turns out that was a mistake on our part. Anyways, now she has applied in maistratti for registration, but maistratti is now saying that her application for the registration of address and the marriage will take almost 8 weeks! We think that is too excessive. My wife suffers from a serious disease and her symptoms are flaring up right now. She needs to see a doctor and gets some tests done. after registering in maistratti she will the have to followup on the kela application and that will also take some time, possibly months. Without a kela card, we will have to go to private hospitals and we cannot afford that right now. So my question is: is there any way we can expedite the whole procedure? 8 weeks seem too excessive for just registering the municipality of residence and the marriage!
Provision of public health services is tied to the municipality of residence in the population system – not registration with Kela. Kela is only relevant for things like discounted medicine and sickness benefits.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:55 pm

aakalim wrote:
Without a kela card, we will have to go to private hospitals and we cannot afford that right now.
The public system will not refuse anyone for urgent care and there is no prepayment required. The municipality of residence in the population system should be backdated at least to the date of application so it can be used to disputed any fees that would be larger than for residents. There is also income support as a backstop for those who are otherwise eligible to it.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:47 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:55 pm
aakalim wrote:
Without a kela card, we will have to go to private hospitals and we cannot afford that right now.
The public system will not refuse anyone for urgent care and there is no prepayment required. The municipality of residence in the population system should be backdated at least to the date of application so it can be used to disputed any fees that would be larger than for residents. There is also income support as a backstop for those who are otherwise eligible to it.
Nah, they won't deny care. What's the point? You'll have to sell your both kidneys, liver, donate eyes etc. to pay off the bill! :twisted:

Here's my suggestion: Don't trust the services, authorities. Be paranoid, double, triple-check. And maintain records. Get things in writing, records. I prefer to email and then stack that. Knowledge management. Scan and back up data. In my case, I used to go and ask for an extract from another office. That way I know it is registered.

aakalim

Post by aakalim » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I just wanted to ask if you are sure the cost will be reimbursed in case of urgent medical care? Where can i confirm this from. Because if i will not be reimbursed, then it is better to go for private health care.

I asked the kela and also my local heath centre and all of them say that i have to pay out of my pocket. Its just so frustrating. My wife needs urgent heath care and i have to pay out of my packet even though i pay taxes over here and my wife has the residence permit. Such a !"#¤% system this is!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:38 pm

aakalim wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:22 pm
I just wanted to ask if you are sure the cost will be reimbursed in case of urgent medical care? Where can i confirm this from. Because if i will not be reimbursed, then it is better to go for private health care.

I asked the kela and also my local heath centre and all of them say that i have to pay out of my pocket. Its just so frustrating. My wife needs urgent heath care and i have to pay out of my packet even though i pay taxes over here and my wife has the residence permit. Such a !"#¤% system this is!
You could ask Public Service Info:

https://www.kansalaisneuvonta.fi/en-US

However, in the end it will be the service provide who decides which type of bill they send and it will then be up to you to dispute it. A lawyer can give advice and would be responsible for damages if it turns out to be incorrect.

Looked into this a bit more and there's this:
The Social Insurance Institution shall reimburse from government funds costs incurred by a local authority or a joint municipal authority from a public health care service if the health care service has been provided to a person with no municipality of residence in Finland under EU Regulation 883/2004, a social security agreement or other international agreement, section 3(1) of the Act on Specialized Medical Care or section 14(5) of the Primary Health Care Act.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 131201.pdf

The last two references seem to lead to, among others, family member resident permit holders.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:42 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:38 pm
Looked into this a bit more and there's this:
The Social Insurance Institution shall reimburse from government funds costs incurred by a local authority or a joint municipal authority from a public health care service if the health care service has been provided to a person with no municipality of residence in Finland under EU Regulation 883/2004, a social security agreement or other international agreement, section 3(1) of the Act on Specialized Medical Care or section 14(5) of the Primary Health Care Act.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 131201.pdf

The last two references seem to lead to, among others, family member resident permit holders.
This references does require to be employed though: " ja jolla on Suomessa voimassa oleva työ-, virka- tai muu palvelussuhde tai joka on vähintään kuusi kuukautta kestäneen työ-, virka- tai muun palvelussuhteen päätyttyä rekisteröity työttömäksi työnhakijaksi. "

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 91062#L1P3

aakalim

Post by aakalim » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Thanks betelgeuse for the information!

So i actually contacted kela again and pushed them for more information. Turns out they do give you the right information but only if you really push them hard and keep calling. Anyways, they are saying that i can reclaim the cost incurred on public heath care if the starting date of municipality of residence is before the date the health care cost was incurred. But since the date of municipality of residence is to be decided by Maistratti, they cannot say for sure if the cost will be reimbursed in my case. My wife then contacted masitratti and they told her that the date if municipality of registration will be the date on which she applied. So it seems the cost would indeed be reimbursed.

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:15 pm

aakalim wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:50 pm
My wife then contacted masitratti and they told her that the date if municipality of registration will be the date on which she applied. So it seems the cost would indeed be reimbursed.
As I know, if that is the date on which the residence is granted, you should ask Maistraatti if they have already sent the notification to Kela etc. and on which date.

Then call Kela and ask them if/ why/ why not her name is in the system and why it is not marked if she has the right to social security, including healthcare (oikeus suomen sosiaaliturvaan).

If these are both confirmed before the day, then it should be okay, and your wife should get the care as needed.