ADHD, Aspergers, etc. - mental health system?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sati108

Post by sati108 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am

Hyvää huomenta :smile:

Is anyone here aware more than average how does the situation about being a ADHD and asperger person, especially adult looks like in Finland?

For example in my country in short, although things like asperger, adhd, etc. could be recognized and registered as a some level of disability and one could get monthly money support from the government, but in theory you could have been without legs and arms or dying and not able to work and the government commission could say you are fully able to work(there were plenty of such cases and people doing suicide because of that). The process for just getting on paper from doctors that you have for example asperger could itself take years.
I have heard that there are some countries that some companies recognize the possible advantages of having an aspie worker when in proper environment and are specifically searching for such workers, but still I thing it's rare and mostly IT sectors.

Lastly, it's little off main topic, but still little connected maybe:
I have also read that the mental health care system in Finland is probably in some ways different than in other developed countries, where there was decisions made in the past to abandon approach of having public mental hospitals in short.
Was my information and understanding correct, and that therefore the situation for people with mental problem could be more difficult than in other countries?

Kiitos

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: ADHD, Aspergers, etc. - mental health system?

Post by inkku » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:20 am

What is your question? how does the situation of ADHD look like? how does the situation of asperger look like? perhaps focusing a bit, what you want to know.

https://adhd-liitto.fi/adhd-tietoa/aikuiset/
https://www.autismiliitto.fi/in_english

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:22 pm

sati108 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am
Is anyone here aware more than average how does the situation about being a ADHD and asperger person,
sati108 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:20 am
I have heard that there are some countries that some companies recognize the possible advantages of having an aspie worker when in proper environment and are specifically searching for such workers, but still I thing it's rare and mostly IT sectors.
In the relevant area ADHD and Asperger have opposite symptoms:
People with ADHD are not able to focus on anything.
People with Asperger focus rigidly on some specific task.

The ability of people with Asperger to focus can be an asset in many areas, not only IT but also monotonous factory work.
Companies will rarely search specifically search for people with Asperger, but for some kinds of jobs this is a skill that can be a bonus.

sati108

Post by sati108 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:36 pm

inkku wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:20 am
What is your question? how does the situation of ADHD look like? how does the situation of asperger look like? perhaps focusing a bit, what you want to know.

https://adhd-liitto.fi/adhd-tietoa/aikuiset/
https://www.autismiliitto.fi/in_english
Thanks and sorry for not being clear enough.
Like I've mentioned the situation in my country, I wonder for example what is the general society awareness about mentioned conditions in Finland, or what awarness is in the mental service about that, or how long it could take to being fully review and get in on the paper, or would having it on the paper give some advantages in work or kela, etc.

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:22 pm
Generalizing - yes - althoug there are cases of people having both.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:50 pm

sati108 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:36 pm
would having it on the paper give some advantages in work or kela, etc.
Employers hire the best available applicant.
Kela doesn't pay you money just for having a paper that you have a health problem, a diagnosis could get you medication if you need that.
sati108 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:36 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:22 pm
Generalizing - yes - althoug there are cases of people having both.
Important for potential employers are the symptoms, not the diagnosis.
Greta Thunberg has both, and her special skill is the ability to focus on one task.

inkku

Post by inkku » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 pm

My impression is that there is a growing awareness and to some extent acceptance in society widely. however, there is also growing discrimination and intolerance of people who are different (religion, race etc) due to racist, populist movements.
identification of the cases used to be poor, don't' know if it is better nowadays.
#I don#t think it brings any benefit, on the contrary.