Living in Container house

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nimap

Post by nimap » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:11 pm

Recently I had conversations with representatives from municipality of Ypäjä and they said it is not possible to live in containers. They have lots of cheap plots for sale, I asked them the possible costs and such. Even though the cost of plot was cheap the electricity, water connections, border establishment, etc. were a bit more than 10k. The condition of sale is; house should be built within 3 years of purchase of plot, if not built within 3 years then ask for extensions with valid reason or the municipality have rights to seize and sell the land again.

Why seize the property if the municipality have already sold it? somebody paid money for the land.

okay, they might want tax payers, but.....

When I asked about dropping some shipping containers with pre-built design of rooms, bathrooms, connection points, heating, etc. then they are saying it is not possible as they want me to build the house. WTF? why house? I can submit the floor plan according to the building rights and ask the company to design the containers accordingly. It is way more faster and cheaper than building the house and I will live comfortably with possibility to easily move my house somewhere if I do not like that locality.

I really do not understand this stand from municipalities.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Living in Container house

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 pm

nimap wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:11 pm
When I asked about dropping some shipping containers with pre-built design of rooms, bathrooms, connection points, heating, etc. then they are saying it is not possible as they want me to build the house. WTF? why house? I can submit the floor plan according to the building rights and ask the company to design the containers accordingly. It is way more faster and cheaper than building the house and I will live comfortably with possibility to easily move my house somewhere if I do not like that locality.
It can be done but legally speaking the result is a house.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/asuminen/a/201707282200289587

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:07 pm

nimap wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:11 pm
Recently I had conversations with representatives from municipality of Ypäjä and they said it is not possible to live in containers. They have lots of cheap plots for sale, I asked them the possible costs and such. Even though the cost of plot was cheap the electricity, water connections, border establishment, etc. were a bit more than 10k. The condition of sale is; house should be built within 3 years of purchase of plot, if not built within 3 years then ask for extensions with valid reason or the municipality have rights to seize and sell the land again.

Why seize the property if the municipality have already sold it? somebody paid money for the land.

okay, they might want tax payers, but.....

I really do not understand this stand from municipalities.
You should look for a "mummunmökki". Small, pre-fab and cheap. And it qualifies as a house.
https://finnpeak.fi/tuote/martta-mummonmokki/

nimap

Post by nimap » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:26 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:01 pm
It can be done but legally speaking the result is a house.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/asuminen/a/201707282200289587
jep, that was new concept and looks like it is working for them. They've build the whole house in top of container, so technically it is a container and legally house. Good use of loophole. I'd be happy with just drop in container but they were not impressed with my plan.