Financial problems of my employer & covid-19 & Cancellation Risk of Residence Permit

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
seti

Financial problems of my employer & covid-19 & Cancellation Risk of Residence Permit

Post by seti » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:44 am

Hello all,

I know the topic title is a bit weird but as you know, we are having terrible times. Let me sum up briefly.

Before corona outbreak, the company that I work for 3 years, had been already suffering with financial problems. I was told that they could not pay the full salary and they asked for support for a specific period. Me and some other coworkers decided to work for half of our original salaries. This was offered to us and frankly I wanted to help to the company while they need more labor force.

Company had promised to restore my salary to original amount in this month but you already know, corona outbreak puts a spanner in the works. It seems that this will not work and it's not a good time to find a new job.

There are lots of details, questions to ask etc. but what I'd like to ask is, when I get half of my original salary, would that cause a problem for our residence permit?

-people who have tight time, can read just this part-
For the time being, I can not meet the amount of money for a family with one child which has stated by Migri. But also me and my family still have time to renew our rp, it will be ending one year later. Would Migri notice this issue and cancel our residence permit before it's actual end date? or even under current circumstances, do we still have time until the last day of our rp to find a new job or to change conditions?

Sorry for long post and thanks in advance for the responses.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Financial problems of my employer & covid-19 & Cancellation Risk of Residence Permit

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:22 am

seti wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:44 am
For the time being, I can not meet the amount of money for a family with one child which has stated by Migri. But also me and my family still have time to renew our rp, it will be ending one year later. Would Migri notice this issue and cancel our residence permit before it's actual end date? or even under current circumstances, do we still have time until the last day of our rp to find a new job or to change conditions?
As long as you are employed and not applying for income support, there is no problem until renewal time.

seti

Re: Financial problems of my employer & covid-19 & Cancellation Risk of Residence Permit

Post by seti » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:51 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:22 am

As long as you are employed and not applying for income support, there is no problem until renewal time.

Thank you @betelgeuse! Yes, I'm still employed and I do not apply to any support for myself. But...

my spouse is at home to take care of our kid therefore we get child care and parental benefits for mother. In May, hopefully we will have another baby so she has been told to apply for these things as well. So, will it be a problem?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

seti wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:51 am
my spouse is at home to take care of our kid therefore we get child care and parental benefits for mother. In May, hopefully we will have another baby so she has been told to apply for these things as well. So, will it be a problem?
Income support (toimeentulotuki) is a specific type of benefit. Parental benefits are fine.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:26 am

seti wrote:
Me and some other coworkers decided to work for half of our original salaries. This was offered to us and frankly I wanted to help to the company while they need more labor force.

Company had promised to restore my salary to original amount in this month but you already know, corona outbreak puts a spanner in the works. It seems that this will not work and it's not a good time to find a new job.

There are lots of details, questions to ask etc. but what I'd like to ask is, when I get half of my original salary, would that cause a problem for our residence permit?
I would never have agreed to working for half the salary.

If they have liquidity problems, I would offer them to defer payment of the salary or part of the salary.
That is no reduction of the salary, and there is even some protection for pending salaries in case of bankruptcy.

If you are a member of an unemployment funds, a lower salary also result in lower unemployment benefits.
seti wrote:
But also me and my family still have time to renew our rp, it will be ending one year later.
If we are lucky the COVID-19 situation will be sorted out by then.
2-3 months of strict lockdown as China did and Italy/Spain/France/... are doing now is the fastest option after the failure of the Finnish government to avoid this by closing the borders 3 weeks ago when a large cluster of infections was detected in Italy.
"Flattening the curve" would mean the virus will still be going around in Finland in a year.

It is already guaranteed that in a year there will be a bad economy with high unemployment.
Since your employer was already in trouble when the economy was as good as it can get, chances are the company will no longer exist in a year.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:39 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:26 am
I would never have agreed to working for half the salary.

If they have liquidity problems, I would offer them to defer payment of the salary or part of the salary.
That is no reduction of the salary, and there is even some protection for pending salaries in case of bankruptcy.
http://www.te-palvelut.fi/te/en/jobseek ... index.html

Yeah keeping them unpaid or, for example, converting to shares would be better from the employee perspective. However, these situations are unique and it's hard to give universal advice.

nimap

Post by nimap » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:34 pm

seti wrote:
Me and some other coworkers decided to work for half of our original salaries.
Perfect example for exploitation of foreign workers. You are scared to lose the job and have your RP cancelled and desperate to hang on to your job. Quiet old and well tested trick. They know this very well, so any story of financial disability will be enough for them to pocket extra income.

If I were you, I'll be reporting it to your unemployment fund, oh wait are you even a member?

seti

Post by seti » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:35 pm

Thanks for the replies to my questions.

This is not about being foreigner. Stop discriminating and insulting people hiddenly without having no idea. I had already resigned and found jobs in the past. Contrary to your belief, this is not that big problem for everyone. Just covid messed up everything.
nimap wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:34 pm
Perfect example for exploitation of foreign workers. You are scared to lose the job and have your RP cancelled and desperate to hang on to your job.
Yes. In Finland, me and my friend accepted because we are already two people in the office and she is pure finnish. Others are in their respective countries.