"omaishoitaja" of high risk patient in need of assistance

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Piet

Post by Piet » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 am

Hi everyone, as the title of this post suggests, yes I am a volunteer, an omaishoitaja (care taker) of a very high risk cancer patient already suffering from a lung infection.

How / where do I get protective gear for helping my patient and her family of 4 children (for getting specific groceries in the store and taking care of my patient.

If my patient (or one of her children / her husband, or me) catches this Covid-19 (and transmit this to her), she dies!!

Any suggestions are welcome,

Things I have tried:
1) Ordering groceries online for delivery =fail,(half of it was not delivered, the 4 children got hungry due to lack of delivered food). Had to go to the store myself anyway, with all risks of that endeavour.
2) Using protective gloves. done!
3) use disinfectant / sanitizer everywhere I go = fail, no more sanitizer available in any store, where to acquire this?
4) use of protective masks when treating / helping the patient, or doing groceries to minimise infection risk,= Fail, no more available masks in store, not even the motonet/ biltema or bauhaus.(although those last ones, due to the valve, not work to protect the patient but give a false sense of security to the one wearing it).

In short, who should I contact for assistance?

For more info on the patient and her family and their fight for survival: I have her and her husbands permission to share their information here, so if you want to know more about them, please visit www.gofundme.com/save-tiina and read the story and updates for more information.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Live long and prosper!
Piet.

If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinlandGirl

Re: "omaishoitaja" of high risk patient in need of assistance

Post by FinlandGirl » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:01 am

Piet wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:40 am
In short, who should I contact for assistance?
I would try the municipality, bigger municipalities have various phone numbers related to COVID-19.

Piet

Post by Piet » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:15 pm

For the hand sanitizer , I found a solution

I decided to make it myself. Sadly the Motonet has been jacking up the price for the main ingredient with almost 100% :shock:

Well at least I have that base covered.

Only the facial masks left.... investigating a way to make those myself too, should not be too difficult. Just need good fabric that passes air but blocks small particles. Maybe from some car air /pollen filters,

anyone any idea's

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:40 am

Piet wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:15 pm
Only the facial masks left.... investigating a way to make those myself too, should not be too difficult. Just need good fabric that passes air but blocks small particles. Maybe from some car air /pollen filters,

anyone any idea's
For which direction?

Normal masks worn in hospitals are worn by personnel to reduce the risk of patients from getting infections from the nurse/doctor.
They do not protect the nurse/doctor who wears it.
If you are (potentially) infected and want to reduce spreading it to other people then these masks are for you.
A cloth on front of nose and mouth can have a similar effect of reducing the amount of infectious droplets from the air you breathe out.

If you want to reduce the risk of catching the infection yourself, then anything less than a proper FFP2/FFP3 mask is useless.
And even these masks are only of limited use unless combined with a single-use bunny suit to protect your eyes and skin and clothes from catching infectious droplets.
Piet wrote:
Hi everyone, as the title of this post suggests, yes I am a volunteer, an omaishoitaja (care taker) of a very high risk cancer patient already suffering from a lung infection.

How / where do I get protective gear for helping my patient and her family of 4 children (for getting specific groceries in the store and taking care of my patient.

If my patient (or one of her children / her husband, or me) catches this Covid-19 (and transmit this to her), she dies!!

The lesson from all reports I've read from people with COVID-19 is that when one person in the household caught it then all will have it.
No matter what amount of precaution was involved, when an airborne disease is confirmed to infect people 4.5 meters away and half an hour after the infected person left, and survives up to a week on many surfaces, you cannot prevent the spread inside a household.

Buy supplies of everything for the next 3 months, and then noone leaves the house during these 3 months.
Ordering groceries or food during this time would be a risk since noone knows how many of the people involved with delivering are infected.

Piet

Post by Piet » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks rinso, that was what I was looking for.. :wink:
Now only try to get this sheet of polypropylene.

anyone?

Piet

Post by Piet » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:20 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:40 am
Piet wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:15 pm

anyone any idea's
For which direction?

Normal masks worn in hospitals are worn by personnel to reduce the risk of patients from getting infections from the nurse/doctor.
They do not protect the nurse/doctor who wears it.
If you are (potentially) infected and want to reduce spreading it to other people then these masks are for you.
A cloth on front of nose and mouth can have a similar effect of reducing the amount of infectious droplets from the air you breathe out.

If you want to reduce the risk of catching the infection yourself, then anything less than a proper FFP2/FFP3 mask is useless.
And even these masks are only of limited use unless combined with a single-use bunny suit to protect your eyes and skin and clothes from catching infectious droplets.
Piet wrote:

The lesson from all reports I've read from people with COVID-19 is that when one person in the household caught it then all will have it.
No matter what amount of precaution was involved, when an airborne disease is confirmed to infect people 4.5 meters away and half an hour after the infected person left, and survives up to a week on many surfaces, you cannot prevent the spread inside a household.

Buy supplies of everything for the next 3 months, and then noone leaves the house during these 3 months.
Ordering groceries or food during this time would be a risk since noone knows how many of the people involved with delivering are infected.
I think buying supplies for the whole family and myself for 3 months is impossible, the groceries required for a 6 person family for 3 months will not fit in their home. (not even mentioning my own groceries).

I guess I will have to get a hazmat suit and do groceries in that.... :shock: the FFP2 mask will not suffice for myself, but more important is not to spread it to the patient. I guess make it all delivery and leave the goods in the "eteinen" and install a UV light there and leave the groceries there for a day. (no heating).

Last possibility, expose my patient to the virus now..while there is still space at the IC and hope for the best. Once the IC gets crowded, they will choose to let her die in favour of someone without cancer. :shock: :shock: (source Yle news).

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Piet wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:20 pm
I think buying supplies for the whole family and myself for 3 months is impossible
You should aim at people entering the household having as few outside contact as reasonably possible.
If reducing outside contact to zero is not possible, then you have to accept that there is some risk you cannot eliminate.
Piet wrote:
I guess I will have to get a hazmat suit and do groceries in that.... :shock:
Are you able to get properly out of such a suit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_vir ... _equipment
Piet wrote:
Last possibility, expose my patient to the virus now..while there is still space at the IC and hope for the best.
Time from infection to IC is usually around 2 weeks, in 2 weeks the situation will be bad enough that the government will start implementing serious measures to contain the disease.
Piet wrote:
Once the IC gets crowded, they will choose to let her die in favour of someone without cancer. :shock: :shock: (source Yle news).
This is already standard procedure in Italy and Spain, when patients with better survival chances arrive then machines will be disconnected from patients with worse survival chances leaving them to die. There is no better option.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 pm

Piet wrote:
I'd guess the most important rule for her now is to stay away from any HUS hospitals:
https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/7_ki ... d/11277843

7 children in the cancer and organ transplant ward exposed to COVID-19.
This could give Finland the questionable honour of becoming the first country in the world with a child under the age of 10 dying of COVID-19.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:50 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 pm
This could give Finland the questionable honour of becoming the first country in the world with a child under the age of 10 dying of COVID-19.
US tries to one up us!
https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-infa ... h-illinois
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.