Expensive meat and eating habits.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Danesinlappi

Post by Danesinlappi » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi everybody.

We are a danish couple, who moved to northern Finland last december and since then to Lapland. We are used to meat being very cheap in comparison to the EU regulated prices there is for example here in Finland. We have now for some time tried to find meat, that is relatively cheap without being too fatty.
We must conclude, that Denmark spoils its citizens with its meat prizes, and that we now have to find new ways to get our meat lust fulfilled.

Now to our question:
What does the general finnish population eat to be full after a meal?
What is "normal" and "the usual" dinner for a finn?
Is there something we can do to save some money on the meat, or is it simply just a question of prioritizing?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Expensive meat and eating habits.

Post by riku2 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:04 pm

Danesinlappi wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:56 pm
We are used to meat being very cheap in comparison to the EU regulated prices"
Can you explain how the EU regulates the price of meat in Finland? So retailers are not free to set the price themselves? And why does the EU regulate the price in Finland but not in Denmark (which I thought was also in the EU)?
I thought the reason for the food being expensive in FInland is the remote nature of the place, the low population using a language different to everywhere else and lack of retailer competition with two companies carving up most of the market between them. Nothing about EU regulated prices.

FinlandGirl

Post by FinlandGirl » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:11 am

riku2 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:04 pm
I thought the reason for the food being expensive in FInland is the remote nature of the place, the low population using a language different to everywhere else and lack of retailer competition with two companies carving up most of the market between them.
The last one is the only one from your list that actually matters.
Perhaps make that three companies with Lidl.

If "low population using a language different to everywhere else" would matter, then Estonians would travel to Finland for cheap shopping.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:57 am

Danesinlappi wrote:
What does the general finnish population eat to be full after a meal?
According to the Internet, some favorites throughout the years (in no particular order):
-pan-fried or oven-baked fish, fish soup
-meatballs
-pizza
-steak or cutlet
-macaroni casserole ("makaronilaatikko", macaroni usually with minced meat cooked in oven)
-meat stew with either reindeer, game or beef
-lasagne
-cabbage rolls ("kaalikääryleet", minced meat wrapped in cabbage cooked in oven)
Danesinlappi wrote:
Is there something we can do to save some money on the meat, or is it simply just a question of prioritizing?
Not much you can do, unless you have a business (connection) enabling you to buy wholesale, or you can find a farm willing to sell directly to you in bulk (probably not too many of those in Lapland for beef or pork).

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:35 am

Danesinlappi wrote:
EU doesn't force our meat prices...

About foods:

- Liver casserole (Ready made. Yummy with red (cow) berries jello or rasberry jello)
- Macarone casserole with minced meat
- Lohikiusaus (casserole made by thin potatoe sticks and salmon)
- Kinkkukiusaus (casserole made by thin potatoe sticks and ham/pork)
- ******kiusaus (so many different choices, even chicken)
- Chicken sauce (Kanaviillokki. Sauce made by chicken slices + flour and eat with (mushed) potatoes)
- Fish soup (Potatoes, carrots, onion + A lot different fish choices. "Seiti" is cheapest one, but good)
- Sausage soup (Potatoes, carrots, onion + many different sausage choices...)
- Meat soup (Potatoes, carrots, onion + Pork / Beef / Moose or everything together)
- Pea soup (Ready made too. With meat pieces inside /& minced meat)
- Spinach soup (Ready made & home made. Really good. just add couple boiled eggs to it)
- Spaghetti (polognese by tomato & minced meat)
- Pizza (self made for me thank you)
- Cabbage soup (with minced meat)
- Cabbage casserole (with minced meat)
- Cabbage rolls (with minced meat)
- Lasagne
- Shrimp soup
- Mushroom soup
- (mushed) Potatoes with sausage sauce
- (mushed) Potatoes with meat sauce
- Omelette with different ingredients
- (mushed) Potatoes & pork/moose/beef/liver/fish etc... stake
- Mushed potatoes with raindeer / german moose slices + red (cow) berries jello or rasberry jello
- Meat pies
- Ham pies
- Fish pies
- Meat balls
- Fish balls
- Chicken balls
- "Pyttipannu" (includes fried potatoes (have to boil first), fried eggs and fried sausage slices on pan)
- Oven / real fire grilled pork/beef/chicken stakes with rice or potatoes
- And A LOT more.... We do everything! Even Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese food for eat...

I think more than 300 different choices what I ever cooked. Impossible to remember all. I use my imagination when I cook...
Last edited by jarikaija on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

inkku

Post by inkku » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am

Some people who eat a lot of meat buy meat during the hunting season and then they freeze it. I am not sure what is hunted but at least moose and deer, I believe.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:39 am

inkku wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am
Some people who eat a lot of meat buy meat during the hunting season and then they freeze it. I am not sure what is hunted but at least moose and deer, I believe.
That is one option - albeit a somewhat limited one (most of the meat the hunters keep themselves), but unless one has friends who offer a "friend discount" the price likely is higher than beef or pork in grocery stores, even if buying the whole carcass. Of course it's game meat, so not the same thing, but if the price is the deciding factor. Similarly reindeer meat can be bought from reindeer farms in larger quantities.

Mackee23

Post by Mackee23 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:42 pm

I have noticed that meat is expensive in Finland as well, but a lot if things are expensive in Finland, just need to get used to it.

I personally, have days when I don't eat meat. So maybe you could try skipping meat some days and go for a vegetarian option in order to save money?

My father in law hunts and fishes. He stores this in big freezers, so pretty much only buys chicken from time to time. So maybe you could get a hunting licence and take up hunting or make friends with local hunters?

jarikaija

Post by jarikaija » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:50 pm

inkku wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:17 am
Moose, capricorn, duck, goose, capercaillie, hazel grouse, fish (all kind), crab (european crayfish) and rabbit are animals for hunting here.

And next ones are raised by human for food purpose too on farms/houses/lakes/sea at Finland:

Goose, duck, rabbit, chicken, reindeer, goat, sheep, cow, horse (usually old ones used for food), ostrich, fish (salmon), crab (european crayfish)...

Maybe some missing, but those came my mind immediatelly...