Escalating consumer conflict

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Krom

Post by Krom » Sun May 10, 2020 12:14 am

Hi All,

Intro:
I have dirty tap water in a rented apartment since some failure in early March. For the first two weeks maintenance company (Kotikatu) and housing management company (Newsec) were trying to convince me that "after enough water has run, it will be clean", though already at that time it was obvious to me that this wouldn't help. Kotikatu said they can't do anything.
After three weeks and two plumber visits isännöinti agreed that running the water doesn't help and there is no obvious reason for the water condition, so they ordered a test from Aqva Finland. Three more weeks of waiting and the test results says that water quality is good, all indicators are in allowed range. This was pretty surprising, but the lab explained that since they take only a small sample, these particles could be left out of the analysis. Also, since they are not soluble, the might not have much of effect on the overall water quality. They also said they can't do any test that will prove the presence of this dirt in the water.
This doesn't make me fell I can really drink this water:
Isännöinti simply ignores my emails and I can't reach them by phone (they have some "first line support", able only to say "please wait for your email be answered"). And there is no any other contact information on their website but of the head of the line of business.

Questions:
Looks like I have no other option but to escalate it.
Does anyone have any experience with Consumer Disputes Board? Is it possible to get something without Finnish knowledge?
Is it feasible to get compensation for hedonic damages (or whatever similar) in this kind of case in Finland?

Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

suomynona.yllatot

Re: Escalating consumer conflict

Post by suomynona.yllatot » Tue May 12, 2020 2:11 pm

Ask the isännöitsijä and the aqua guys or whatever the company is to drink straight? :twisted:

It is not your problem. Serve a notice to the landlord, with a clear date mentioned for the response. If and when that does not help, serve another notice this time, call the consumer ombudsman, and then CC the Consumer Ombudsman. Look for another apartment meanwhile.

Get a Finnish speaking friend to do it, good luck finding one though.
Yep, it is! What's the big deal?

rinso

Re: Escalating consumer conflict

Post by rinso » Tue May 12, 2020 7:09 pm

Three more weeks of waiting and the test results says that water quality is good, all indicators are in allowed range. This was pretty surprising, but the lab explained that since they take only a small sample, these particles could be left out of the analysis. Also, since they are not soluble, the might not have much of effect on the overall water quality. They also said they can't do any test that will prove the presence of this dirt in the water.
This is a real problem. The test says OK, so everybody can ignore your complaints. To continue you need something more than; "I don't want to drink it". Try to find out if your neighbors have the same problem. If so, plan some joined action. And get some independent advice over how to test the water.