Permanent residence permit

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
saldi
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Permanent residence permit

Post by saldi » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm

hello , I am a non -EU citizen , I first came to Finland in 2016 based on family ties with my ex Finnish wife , I received a 1 year residence permit , and after that , I received another extended 4-year permit .
I divorced my wife because of domestic violence , I have proofs for that , after filling the divorce , I was contacted by Migri and they were considering the cancelation of my residence permit , Luckily that time I had a permanent job contract , and they ( Migri ) asked me to apply for a new residence permit and change the grounds from family ties to a work permit
I did so , I changed the grounds and I received a new work permit ( 1 year work permit )
in total , I have lived in Finland for 4 years with two different grounds
3 years with the family based permit + 1 year with work permit ( the one I still have now and it is still valid )
I recently applied for a Permanent residence permit through the online service EnterFinland , I went to a Migri office to prove my identity , and I WAS TOLD that im not eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit without giving me any reasons at , and they asked me to apply for an extended work permit , and I eventually did and left Migri office being disappointed
NOW I am still waiting for my extended work permit .
I think one can get a permanent residenxe permit even if the grounds during the 4 years have changed
Your opinions really matter , thank YOU



Permanent residence permit

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

suomi1
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 11:13 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by suomi1 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm

As long as the permit type is A, the changed ground should not be a problem. Based on my experience i can tell you that migri accepts PR application only after completing 4 years so for example they will not accept your application if on day of application even 1 day is less to complete 4 years.

Also as far as I know they count 4 years period from the day you registered yourself with population register.

heretostay
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by heretostay » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:26 pm

suomi1 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm
As long as the permit type is A, the changed ground should not be a problem. Based on my experience i can tell you that migri accepts PR application only after completing 4 years so for example they will not accept your application if on day of application even 1 day is less to complete 4 years.

Also as far as I know they count 4 years period from the day you registered yourself with population register.
You can apply for the permanent permit up to 90 days before you are eligible. I know personally because I applied for mine 87 days before my eligibility. Eligibility is based on the issue date of the permit not population register date.

OP: Was there any gap between your permits? Even a one day gap can make you ineligible.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3483
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 am

heretostay wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:26 pm
suomi1 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm
As long as the permit type is A, the changed ground should not be a problem. Based on my experience i can tell you that migri accepts PR application only after completing 4 years so for example they will not accept your application if on day of application even 1 day is less to complete 4 years.

Also as far as I know they count 4 years period from the day you registered yourself with population register.
You can apply for the permanent permit up to 90 days before you are eligible. I know personally because I applied for mine 87 days before my eligibility. Eligibility is based on the issue date of the permit not population register date.
You both are a bit off: "The period of four years is calculated from the date of entry into the country if the alien held a residence permit for continuous residence upon entry . If the residence permit was applied for in Finland, the period of four years is calculated from the first day of the fixed-term residence permit issued for the first continuous residence in the country."

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf

saldi
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by saldi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:21 am

suomi1 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm
As long as the permit type is A, the changed ground should not be a problem. Based on my experience i can tell you that migri accepts PR application only after completing 4 years so for example they will not accept your application if on day of application even 1 day is less to complete 4 years.

Also as far as I know they count 4 years period from the day you registered yourself with population register.
yes both the permits were type A , I have completed the 4 years period , but still I was told that I can not apply for no reason , thank your for your comment

saldi
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by saldi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:28 am

heretostay wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:26 pm
suomi1 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm
As long as the permit type is A, the changed ground should not be a problem. Based on my experience i can tell you that migri accepts PR application only after completing 4 years so for example they will not accept your application if on day of application even 1 day is less to complete 4 years.

Also as far as I know they count 4 years period from the day you registered yourself with population register.
You can apply for the permanent permit up to 90 days before you are eligible. I know personally because I applied for mine 87 days before my eligibility. Eligibility is based on the issue date of the permit not population register date.

OP: Was there any gap between your permits? Even a one day gap can make you ineligible.
hello
Yes I know that , I applied 90 days before .
that s a good question ! was there any gap between my 2 permits ? BUT what is a GAP between 2 permits , how do you define it ? how do I know that ?

I called migri and I asked if there is any gap during my 4 years period , they said NO .

saldi
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by saldi » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:32 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:11 am
heretostay wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:26 pm
suomi1 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm
As long as the permit type is A, the changed ground should not be a problem. Based on my experience i can tell you that migri accepts PR application only after completing 4 years so for example they will not accept your application if on day of application even 1 day is less to complete 4 years.

Also as far as I know they count 4 years period from the day you registered yourself with population register.
You can apply for the permanent permit up to 90 days before you are eligible. I know personally because I applied for mine 87 days before my eligibility. Eligibility is based on the issue date of the permit not population register date.
You both are a bit off: "The period of four years is calculated from the date of entry into the country if the alien held a residence permit for continuous residence upon entry . If the residence permit was applied for in Finland, the period of four years is calculated from the first day of the fixed-term residence permit issued for the first continuous residence in the country."

https://www.finlex.fi/en/laki/kaannokse ... 040301.pdf
YES you are right , re-read my topic above , I know that The period of four years is calculated from the date of entry into the country . thats not the problem , my 4 years period starts from the day I entered into the country , no problem with that , the problem is ; having 2 permits ( 2 grounds ) during these 4 years , am I eligible to apply for a permanent permit , thank you for your reply :)

FinlandGirl
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:21 pm

saldi wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Luckily that time I had a permanent job contract , and they ( Migri ) asked me to apply for a new residence permit and change the grounds from family ties to a work permit
saldi wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm
I recently applied for a Permanent residence permit through the online service EnterFinland , I went to a Migri office to prove my identity , and I WAS TOLD that im not eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit
Your current job contract is also permanent?
You can only get P if you are eligible for an A extension.

heretostay
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by heretostay » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 pm

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:21 pm


Your current job contract is also permanent?
You can only get P if you are eligible for an A extension.

They asked the OP to apply for an extension... so I assume they were eligible. Which is why I wonder if there was any gaps in the permits during the change of grounds. That could be a reason for ineligibility. Also if you lived in Finland less than half of the time that is another reason.

FinlandGirl
Posts: 396
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:43 am

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by FinlandGirl » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:02 pm

heretostay wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:21 pm
Your current job contract is also permanent?
You can only get P if you are eligible for an A extension.
They asked the OP to apply for an extension... so I assume they were eligible.
Extended permit can be for different grounds, you can extend a work-based A RP with a B RP based on studies.
When applying for work there are no separate applications for A or B, this depends on the employment contract.

My reading of what he wrote is that he currently has only a temporary job, and that the next RP will be B.
I might be reading too much into his "I had", that's why I was asking.

saldi
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by saldi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:02 pm
heretostay wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 pm
FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:21 pm
Your current job contract is also permanent?
You can only get P if you are eligible for an A extension.
They asked the OP to apply for an extension... so I assume they were eligible.
Extended permit can be for different grounds, you can extend a work-based A RP with a B RP based on studies.
When applying for work there are no separate applications for A or B, this depends on the employment contract.

My reading of what he wrote is that he currently has only a temporary job, and that the next RP will be B.
I might be reading too much into his "I had", that's why I was asking.
my employment contract is permanent , not temporary . but yes I got your point :)
4 years in Finland with 2 permits ( 2 grounds ) , there is no gap in between , I went to apply for the permanent , they said No :) , I asked why ? they did not give me any reason , they did not even talk to me , and the woman with whom I applied looked so angry :D , seriously guys !
tomorrow im calling the department of the Permanent residence permit at Migri , and I will let You know
thank you guys for your replies , if you have any more information on my case , let me know

saldi
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:21 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by saldi » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:43 am

FinlandGirl wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:21 pm
saldi wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Luckily that time I had a permanent job contract , and they ( Migri ) asked me to apply for a new residence permit and change the grounds from family ties to a work permit
saldi wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:32 pm
I recently applied for a Permanent residence permit through the online service EnterFinland , I went to a Migri office to prove my identity , and I WAS TOLD that im not eligible to apply for a permanent residence permit
Your current job contract is also permanent?
You can only get P if you are eligible for an A extension.
no its permanent :) , and it is eligible for an extension

heretostay
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by heretostay » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:53 am

Please let us know what information you get from migri because no one here can see any reason why you couldnt get a P permit. I hope that person was mistaken and you can get your permit.

betelgeuse
Posts: 3483
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:24 am

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:53 am

saldi wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 am
my employment contract is permanent , not temporary . but yes I got your point :)
4 years in Finland with 2 permits ( 2 grounds ) , there is no gap in between , I went to apply for the permanent , they said No :) , I asked why ? they did not give me any reason , they did not even talk to me , and the woman with whom I applied looked so angry :D , seriously guys !
tomorrow im calling the department of the Permanent residence permit at Migri , and I will let You know
thank you guys for your replies , if you have any more information on my case , let me know
You are always eligible for a written decision detailing reasons. Denying applications verbally is illegal. They can only advice that it doesn't make sense to apply (and likely lose the application fee) but it's a fundamental right to submit an application.

A couple relevant quotes:

"Hallintopäätös on annettava kirjallisesti."

"Päätös on perusteltava."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 34#O2L7P43

User avatar
browndude
Posts: 232
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Permanent residence permit

Post by browndude » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:51 am

Perhaps you already did, but have you asked Migri to clarify exactly why they said you were not eligible for a P permit?
ImageImage


Post Reply