Some questions about construction standards in Finland

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:18 pm

Not sure if the subject makes any sense, but basically I have just moved into a rivitalo (I have never lived in one before so I wanted to try something new :D), and there are something I'm not quite sure about what is considered "normal" for rivitalo

Based on the blueprint, it's built approximately ~1m above the ground, and has 2 floors, one bath room in each floor.

In the 1st floor's toilet, there is a funny smell there every time I open the door, I thought it was some kind of smell coming from the sewage when you don't use it often, but after one week it's still there, I guess it's not normal?

The kitchen is in the 1st floor, and every time we cook something, the smell comes all the way upstairs, I can smell it in the 2nd floor's bath room, the 2 bed rooms are safe since they are isolated. Not sure if this one is expected because of the ventilation running through the rooms?

Last but not least, is it normal to have only 3 "waste categories": bio, paper and ... general. In my old place, there are 7: plastic, metal, paper, carton, bio, glass and general

Thanks!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Some questions about construction standards in Finland

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:00 am

farfaraway wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:18 pm
Last but not least, is it normal to have only 3 "waste categories": bio, paper and ... general. In my old place, there are 7: plastic, metal, paper, carton, bio, glass and general

Thanks!!!
Most likely you have centralized collection point somewhere nearby for plastic, metal, carton and glass. Small housing units doesn't warrant multiple waste bins when you can drop stuff off when you go grocery shopping.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:11 pm

farfaraway wrote:
Not sure if the subject makes any sense, but basically I have just moved into a rivitalo (I have never lived in one before so I wanted to try something new :D), and there are something I'm not quite sure about what is considered "normal" for rivitalo

Based on the blueprint, it's built approximately ~1m above the ground, and has 2 floors, one bath room in each floor.

In the 1st floor's toilet, there is a funny smell there every time I open the door, I thought it was some kind of smell coming from the sewage when you don't use it often, but after one week it's still there, I guess it's not normal?

The kitchen is in the 1st floor, and every time we cook something, the smell comes all the way upstairs, I can smell it in the 2nd floor's bath room, the 2 bed rooms are safe since they are isolated. Not sure if this one is expected because of the ventilation running through the rooms?

Thanks!!!
If the U-trap in the floor drain dries out, that can lead to gases from the disposal pipe system infiltrating the room. Running enough water through it now and then would solve that problem. Sometimes people run something other than water through it to clean it up a bit and kill possibly odorous germs around the mouth of it; I'm not sure what that would be — pipe cleaner, clog dissolver? It's likely but not certain that the floor drain's trap is independent of the hand sink and the tub or shower, so using them would not prevent the odors.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

farfaraway

Post by farfaraway » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:39 am

Upphew wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:00 am
Most likely you have centralized collection point somewhere nearby for plastic, metal, carton and glass. Small housing units doesn't warrant multiple waste bins when you can drop stuff off when you go grocery shopping.
I will try to find it, have been walking around the neighborhood for some time but can't find anything like that yet. Other people seem to dump everything to Sekajäte bin as well :(
AldenG wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:11 pm
If the U-trap in the floor drain dries out, that can lead to gases from the disposal pipe system infiltrating the room. Running enough water through it now and then would solve that problem. Sometimes people run something other than water through it to clean it up a bit and kill possibly odorous germs around the mouth of it; I'm not sure what that would be — pipe cleaner, clog dissolver? It's likely but not certain that the floor drain's trap is independent of the hand sink and the tub or shower, so using them would not prevent the odors.
We have just moved in and the building is brand new, so it's probably still dry. Do you happen to know any particular product that can help cleaning the pipe?

network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:25 pm

farfaraway wrote:
We've had a similar problem some 10 years ago. Do you have a wash-basin in there? If yes, look underneath, to where the pipe goes, it is likely missing a washer/ seal. It is called a tiiviste, I think like this one.