Paypal Payments

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Enterpreneur

Paypal Payments

Post by Enterpreneur » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:28 am

Hello, I am planning to have online classes using Paypal gateway method on a website.
Some people told me this is illegal since I am not paying tax on the amounts i will receive. is that right?

If yes. Is there a way to make it legal?

Thank you for your help

Paypal Payments

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DMC

Re: Paypal Payments

Post by DMC » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:53 am

I don't see how this can be true. Paypal is just the way you receive payments and it says nothing about what taxes are included in that payment or how you declare that income.

Your best action may depend on whether you are operating as a company or self-employed, I don't know. When I, operating as a company (Oy), have received payment via paypal it has been treated as just another payment. The paypal account has been treated (by my bookkeeper) as just another bank account and the income received there has been treated the same as payments made into the company's regular bank account.

If you have an accountant/bookkeeper I would ask them about how they suggest you proceed. Otherwise ask Vero.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:55 am

Enterpreneur wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:28 am
Hello, I am planning to have online classes using Paypal gateway method on a website.
Some people told me this is illegal since I am not paying tax on the amounts i will receive. is that right?

Regardless of the payment method, you must declare your income to the tax authorities. There's nothing inherently illegal in using Paypal.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:15 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:55 am
Enterpreneur wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:28 am

Regardless of the payment method, you must declare your income to the tax authorities. There's nothing inherently illegal in using Paypal.
And to expand on this, you will want to go check the reporting requirements per customer country (for example, vat and sales tax issues).