Tax on income earned before moving to Finland in the same tax year

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
jperickson

Post by jperickson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Hello - When one moves to Finland mid-tax year and plans to stay indefinitely (and thus is a tax resident and is taxed on global income), are they liable to pay tax on income earned in that same tax year but before establishing residency in Finland?

While this seems to me like a basic question, I can't find anywhere on the Vero website that explicitly states the answer to the mid-year question.

Thank you for any info!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Tax on income earned before moving to Finland in the same tax year

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:36 pm

jperickson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm
Hello - When one moves to Finland mid-tax year and plans to stay indefinitely (and thus is a tax resident and is taxed on global income), are they liable to pay tax on income earned in that same tax year but before establishing residency in Finland?

While this seems to me like a basic question, I can't find anywhere on the Vero website that explicitly states the answer to the mid-year question.
”If an individual who used to permanently reside outside of Finland comes to Finland for a period of more than six months or permanently moves to Finland so that their main abode and home are in Finland, they will not be considered a resident taxpayer in Finland until as of the date of arrival.”

https://www.vero.fi/en/detailed-guidanc ... l-persons/

jperickson

Re: Tax on income earned before moving to Finland in the same tax year

Post by jperickson » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:55 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:36 pm
jperickson wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:23 pm

”If an individual who used to permanently reside outside of Finland comes to Finland for a period of more than six months or permanently moves to Finland so that their main abode and home are in Finland, they will not be considered a resident taxpayer in Finland until as of the date of arrival.”

https://www.vero.fi/en/detailed-guidanc ... l-persons/
Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for.