Probability of getting a job in Finland

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 am

I read pretty many topics from this forum, and I understood that it's almost impossible to get a job from abroad. I could save some money for rent & food for 1 or 2 months (Finland is significantly more expensive than my country), but I read here that companies tend to reply to job applications in 3-4 months, which is too long time for me.

Would it be any problem to use my friend's address as my address in Finland, and just fly to Finland for a job interview, and find a flat if I would be hired ? Do they (employers) check the address somehow, do they want to see your rental contract ?

The language seems to be the most important thing, well I learn finnish myself for about one year, I can't afford paid courses, because it's too pricy because of low interest in Finnish language in my country.

Will the level 3 certificate help / be enough for employers ? I'm planning to attempt to pass this exam.

Of course, employers will more likely hire a native finnish speaker, when we will have equal skills. I speak 5 languages + struggling with finnish.

Could this be a bit better in very big companies, who need many new employees ? Could the languages be at least a small advantage ?

I have 2.5 yrs long experience in IT field, and half year in electronics industry. I have no university degree, I studied on IT/electronics focused high school.

If I would be hired, any idea what could be my salary ? Is the probability to be hired in IT (preferably) / electronics fields at least a bit higher than in other branches ?

Generally, what is the probability of getting a job in Finland, assuming from the informations above ?

Thanks a lot in advance. Finland has totally charmed me, and I seriously want to move and spend my life there...

Image Ř rulezz

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Probability of getting a job in Finland

Post by rinso » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 pm

CzRanito wrote:Would it be any problem to use my friend's address as my address in Finland, and just fly to Finland for a job interview, and find a flat if I would be hired ? Do they (employers) check the address somehow, do they want to see your rental contract ?
No, but if it is an address nearby the potential employer might call and ask you to come over the next day.
If you're not there, it will diminish your chances.
Will the level 3 certificate help / be enough for employers ? I'm planning to attempt to pass this exam.
It would certainly be a plus. Enough? depends on the employer/job.
very big companies, who need many new employees
Not in the present crises.
I have no university degree, I studied on IT/electronics focused high school.
That is not so good. First selection in Finland is on degrees.
If I would be hired, any idea what could be my salary ?
Without degree? minimum wages. (depends on union negotiations)
Generally, what is the probability of getting a job in Finland, assuming from the informations above ?
Low.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:04 pm

or you can go to Ostrava and get hired to TE and try a transfer
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Well I could try to be transferred from my current company, which is in Finland as well. The problem is, that our jobs were mostly outsourced from Finland and Sweden, so they probably aren't there anymore... :(

Anyway, what kind of company is TE ? :)
Image Ř rulezz

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:24 pm

exactly, you're doing your job already ;) right now the crunch is there, some 36.000 people "laid off on holiday" so the competition is high. so the language test & other things are always a plus. getting to an interview is a megaplus... but right now its not looking that peachy... so the current "magic words" you can see from here and TE jobsite in helpful language...
Last edited by Pursuivant on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:31 pm

Yeah, I have a decent salary here, about 20 % above the country's average... I really want to go to Finland, but... for a minimum wage ... ? I'm not sure.

But maybe I could live somewhere very close to the border, live in Finland and work in Sweden, if the situation is any better there...
Image Ř rulezz

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:33 pm

:lol: what work would you find in Haparanda?

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:36 pm

cleaning away snow from roads ? hunting mooses ? :D

anyway, why Happaranda ? never heard of ferries, man ? :ochesey:
Image Ř rulezz

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:58 pm

CzRanito wrote:
anyway, why Happaranda ? never heard of ferries, man ? :ochesey:
you get what you ask for!! :wink:
But maybe I could live somewhere very close to the border, live in Finland and work in Sweden......

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:12 pm

Ok, my mistake :D There are sea borders too, though ! But I guess it would take too much time to travel every day like that :(

Back to the salaries - If I would get a qualified job, would I get the minimum wage anyway, just because of no university degree ? Even if it would be exactly the same job that does someone with degree for lot of money ? Is there no room for negotiation with an employer ?
Image Ř rulezz

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:17 pm

CzRanito wrote:Is there no room for negotiation with an employer ? [/b]
Yes there is such a room, it is called piha, that is also the place where many people are send at the moment.

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:28 pm

Hehe, now I'm not sure if I'm guessing correctly what pihä means :lol: I guess I am.

But from the other point of view - If an employer wants you, he can't offer you the minimum wage, cuz you would refuse it for sure.
There isn't any law ordering employers to give minimum wages to ppl without degree, is it ? That would be crazy :D
Image Ř rulezz

Rick1

Post by Rick1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:32 pm

There are laws here but if they are broken it takes at least a year before it goes to court so many laws are broken.

You really have to fit in 100 percent here to get a job and when you are a foreigner you are many percentages from that 100. Finnish people are not so good in negotiating but the ones who can have good salaries.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:56 pm

But from the other point of view - If an employer wants you, he can't offer you the minimum wage, cuz you would refuse it for sure.
No problem for the employer, he'll just take the one next in line. (and the lines getting longer at the moment)
You have nothing "special" to offer to make you stand out from the crowd. So why would he negotiate with you?
Yes, you know your qualities and potential, but on paper it doesn't show. And papers is what matters here.

CzRanito

Post by CzRanito » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Pursuivant wrote:the language test & other things are always a plus. getting to an interview is a megaplus... but right now its not looking that peachy... so the current "magic words" you can see from here and TE jobsite in helpful language...
Thanks a lot ! :) It doesn't look that pessimistic, it looks they often require "degree or equivalent experience". :)

But is it true that it can take MONTHS to get a reply to your job application ? It looks like employers look for employees then don't need so urgently, how can it be that slow ? :?
Image Ř rulezz