Install wooden floor

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
cressers

Install wooden floor

Post by cressers » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:32 pm

I have empty (ish) apartment 74sqm. I need wooden parquet flooring that needs to be installed throughout.

Does anyone know someone who can install this for a fixed price and how long would be reasonable for a job like this to take?

Install wooden floor

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

momo31

Re: Install wooden floor

Post by momo31 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 am

Hi I am a carpenter from the Uk and have just moved here a month ago, I have done a lot of floor laying work in the past and would be happy to help, do you have the materials or is this something you want me to include in the price?

Regards

Jay

Mita nyt

Post by Mita nyt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Well, if you get someone from the finish union, they will, take way too long. I had some regular finish laminate done only due to apartment would not let me do it. and i grew up in a flooring store, family owned/run. So for 50 square meters it took them (1 guy) almost 3 days of 8 hour shifts. Thats a joke...talk about job security. And yes I moved all furniture 3 different times for this guy. Can you imagine if he moved it? This job should not have taken more then 10 to 12 hrs max, and that would be them doing it all, (moving furniture, trim, cutting doors, etc).

The following I have found from a UK company:

Parquet Flooring Installation (No Border)
Please note, other charges for floor base leveling, finishing, door trimming and skirting boards / beading installation may apply from £33.60 per sqm
Laminate Flooring Installation
Please note, other charges for door trimming and skirting boards / beading installation may apply from £13.20 per sqm

So, in euros it might be a bit lower, say 10% less.

So just a little info....

When installing parquet flooring the first thing you need to check is the moisture of the sub -floor base, this has to be below 5%. The second thing is parquet flooring likes to be laid on a level surfaces the, the more the floor level is out the more chance you are going to have of gaps when laying. Now on to gluing the parquet flooring down use either a bicthem based glue like f21 or a more modern glue like sika which is a (ms polymer), Preferably the second but both are acceptable.
Generally fitters tend to use bitchem on old floors as this can react with the existing old bitching that is already down and of course the price of a ms polymer which is three times the price. Both will do same job for example them old floors which have been down a long while they all used bitchem in them days and there forty fifty years old.When glueing down the block its nice to try and make sure there is no gaps, but gaps or not the end of the world as the whole floor will be filled with a filler which consists of resin and sawdust from you floor once sanded.
Once flooring is laid sand floor in a 50-60 grit for new blocks and a lower grit 0f 18- 36 grit for relaimed floors. Then mix the saw dust with resin and fill the whole floor twice. Then sand the whole floor again and again and again going up the grits each time. Then finishing on a 120 grit all over. clean the room and floor making sure all dust is up.tack the floor with a tack cloth make sure all dust is up.
Then roll on a primer wait a few hours to dry then roll on a laquer leave over night to dry and cure. Finally scrim the floor in a fine grit sand paper or screen, clean properly and tack again, then apply the final coat of laquer. You can apply more coats the more coats you apply the longer the finish should last and the more depth and the finer the finish up to 7 coats.

:D
This is the Day..!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:56 pm

Mita nyt wrote:So, in euros it might be a bit lower, say 10% less.
More?
1 British pound sterling = 1.2494 euros
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:57 am

In the PK-Seudu Are, they dont charge per Sqm. They charge per hour ( and make sure whether it is WITH or without ALV when they mention the prices, cos ALV is 23% of service charges if not included).
Also, there is a minimum "Driving Charge" to come to your place.
There could also be a disposal charge if you want the old flooring to be torn down and disposed off.
You can bargain a fixed price but it would be difficult since most of them would use Finnish to their advantage :lol:
But then again it all depends on your skills..
Which part of town is the installation taking place ?
A Carpenter might charge you a lot if coming cross.town...
and you already have a potential poster who you might want to negotiate with..
and most materials needed can be got from Bahaus or Biltema K-Rauta etc..so get all the materials: Floor protection, Hinges, nails, Glue, Parketti "Knife" or cutter..etc
Main issue with time in installation is "Cutting the parketti" the right way for the edges and sides and in installing the beadings.
( IF it is abare floor.. Otherwise,, tearing the old floor and getting it ready might take more time)..
BTW; Get a "Services" bill from a legally authorized person as 60% of the "Services" done in installing the floor is Tax deductible.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 am

raamv wrote:In the PK-Seudu Are, they dont charge per Sqm. They charge per hour ( and make sure whether it is WITH or without ALV when they mention the prices, cos ALV is 23% of service charges if not included).
Don't make sure. They ought to know that you must tell the price with alv to consumers, if they don't... their loss, you just got nice discount. But better to get the quote in writing or at least by email.[/quote]
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

raamv

Post by raamv » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:04 am

Upphew wrote:
raamv wrote:In the PK-Seudu Are, they dont charge per Sqm. They charge per hour ( and make sure whether it is WITH or without ALV when they mention the prices, cos ALV is 23% of service charges if not included).
Don't make sure. They ought to know that you must tell the price with alv to consumers, if they don't... their loss, you just got nice discount. But better to get the quote in writing or at least by email.
[/quote]
Thats why I said MAKE SURE: If its by Phone , and then it changes later by email pr written quote, then you cannot blame yourself later..
Had that happen to me for Movers, Tilers, plumbers... So Better to make sure.. :wink:

cressers

Post by cressers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:36 pm

did it myself. Not perfect everywhere, but happy.