Any places to buy 2nd hand electronic goods?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
AsaSmith

Post by AsaSmith » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 am

I recieved a great reply from my last post and now that I'm actually in Helsinki I'm really stuck so I've come for some top local advice if theres any to be had! :)

I'm looking for a place to buy reasonably large (3-10) broken games consoles, laptops, graphics cards and computer bits with the focus being on games consoles for the moment.

Of the few websites I've seen the only ones that seem to be reasonably busy are Tori.fi and Huuto.net and they dont fill the requirements of what I'm after as most of the items on there are generally not broken. I've been to a couple of recycle centres and they tell me they hardly ever get electronic goods in so the million dollar question is... where do you guys and gals give away/sell your broken electronic items?

In Britain (my native) we have a few selling papers that come out weekly with the main purchasing place being ebay as theres so much stuff on there thats working or broken but there doesnt seem to be a Finnish branch. Theres also a website called Gumtree which isn't too bad and gets a bit of traffic but I'm really struggling to find anything similar to fit my needs here in Finland. I've looked at posting from Britain and it scares the living hell out of me with 4 days searching the web the cheapest price I've found is around £180 for a small pallett, maybe someone knows of a source in Sweden that would suffice?

I'm doing my best to start a business up here even with the crazy tax rate and lack of Finnish skills at my desposal (taking lessons) so if any kind hearted souls could point me in the right direction or let me know of somebody to speak to you would have my eternal grattitude as I'm currently broke, penniless and wondering if going home might be my only option of self employment :cry:

Thanks for your help in advance

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Any places to buy 2nd hand electronic goods?

Post by Upphew » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 am

AsaSmith wrote:Of the few websites I've seen the only ones that seem to be reasonably busy are Tori.fi and Huuto.net and they dont fill the requirements of what I'm after as most of the items on there are generally not broken. I've been to a couple of recycle centres and they tell me they hardly ever get electronic goods in so the million dollar question is... where do you guys and gals give away/sell your broken electronic items?
Back to the seller or nearest applicable recycling center. It's broken, why would someone pay for it? ;)
http://www.serty.fi/en/etusivu
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

raamv

Post by raamv » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:26 pm

cruzbroker.fi and/OR Beesting (Same concern, different brand) useed to sell old computer stuff . They were in Konala, last time I checked.
you can also try the "used" or returned section of verkkokauppa store in Jatkasaari.

shazman

Post by shazman » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:25 pm

i have a broken PS2 and an old PC i was about to take to the dump place... you are welcome to those!
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!

Brent

Post by Brent » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:30 pm

I've sent you an email. Let me know if you are still in need of help.

AsaSmith

Post by AsaSmith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Apologies for the late reply and thank you all for replying to my crisis! If anybody out there has any ideas on where to go for this kind of equipment at wholesale prices please share a dime with your brother, that being me :D
Upphew wrote:
AsaSmith wrote:Of the few websites I've seen the only ones that seem to be reasonably busy are Tori.fi and Huuto.net and they dont fill the requirements of what I'm after as most of the items on there are generally not broken. I've been to a couple of recycle centres and they tell me they hardly ever get electronic goods in so the million dollar question is... where do you guys and gals give away/sell your broken electronic items?
Back to the seller or nearest applicable recycling center. It's broken, why would someone pay for it? ;)
http://www.serty.fi/en/etusivu
Yea I've noticed thats the normal protocol around here unfortunately for me :( but many thanks for that website post, I'll see if they would sell some broken goods to me :)
raamv wrote:cruzbroker.fi and/OR Beesting (Same concern, different brand) useed to sell old computer stuff . They were in Konala, last time I checked.
you can also try the "used" or returned section of verkkokauppa store in Jatkasaari.
Thanks for the beesting and cruzbroker I did check out beesting before but I've never seen cruzbroker. The verkkokauppa idea sounds like a good one, I'll most certainly be checking all those out so thanks a bunch raamv!

shazman wrote:i have a broken PS2 and an old PC i was about to take to the dump place... you are welcome to those!
Thank you thats most kind! I dont want to seem disingenuous with your offer but I currently have 3 old pcs knocking around here kindly donated to me from a friend and the in laws so another is only going to annoy the girlfriend more than she is already plus the travel costs, I dont have a travel card as of yet, unless your located anywhere close to Malmi by any chance? Either way let me know! All the best
Brent wrote:I've sent you an email. Let me know if you are still in need of help.
Hi Brent, yes I am still in need of help! If you have any info or wholesalers you could let me know about that would be absolutely super! Either/or please let me know, hope to hear from you soon

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 am

raamv wrote:you can also try the "used" or returned section of verkkokauppa store in Jatkasaari.
They're not broken, they're bought and then returned in a non-mint condition (worn packaging, etc.), so I don't think they fit the OP's business plan.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:35 am

You could put an "ostetaan" advert into Huuto.net :idea:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:59 pm

Pursuivant wrote:You could put an "ostetaan" advert into Huuto.net :idea:
Keltainen pörssi and tori.fi would fit the bill too.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:15 pm

Pursuivant wrote:You could put an "ostetaan" advert into Huuto.net :idea:
Huuto.net is an auction site. Doesn't work that way.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:42 pm

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 pm

Well, of course you can write anything you want in your announcement, but that's not how the site works.

AsaSmith

Post by AsaSmith » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:33 am

Yes I could give that a go thanks Pursuivant. In all honesty I feel this would be a short term solution and not a continual supply as a properly functioning business would need plus trying to get a business loan and/or grant on the back of I've got a few adverts on huuto and tori.fi would be a certain no go, not trying to belittle your idea there mate just trying to look at it from an 'investors' point of view

Are there any other big stores apart from Verkkokauppa? When I ask my friends (although they are few :( )they dont seem to know of any at all, Clas Ohlsen is the closest thing they come to in terms of IT. Any help on either a wholesaler or some other large companies would be invaluable

And thank you for your replies as ever :thumbsup:

raamv

Post by raamv » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:32 pm

Recycle center would be your other option. . Certain centers deal more with E-waste.

AsaSmith

Post by AsaSmith » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:30 am

Thank you for that raamv I'll be hitting their place tomorrow with some hopes of getting something going, are you aware of any other large IT companies such as Verkkokauppa located anywhere in Finland? or possibly some in Sweden as I'm really struggling to find anything