Residential Permit for Internship (2 months)

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:15 am

Residential Permit for Internship (2 months)

Post by reptilashep » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 am

Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian studying in an Indian university, trying to apply for internships for the summer of the following year in Finland in the field of Geology. Before going through further processes, however, I wanted to inquire about whether or not I needed a residential permit as an intern for 2 months (60 days) or if I only need a work visa. I read in some places that if it's under 90 days, then you don't need a RP, but if it's more you do. In other places, like the official Finnish Immigration site: ( ... nce_permit ), it does not mention if it is necessary for an intern of 2 months. Furthermore, I read that in order to get the RP, I would have to go to Canada and get it instead of being able to get it in a Finnish official mission somewhere in India. By the way, does that apply to the work visa as well (travelling to Canada to get the work visa)?

I guess in summary my questions are:

1. Would a 2 month intern require an RP or just the work visa?
2. Do I need to go back to Canada to get my RP AND work visa if I were to intern? If RP is not necessary, can I just get the work visa in India, while being a Canadian citizen?
3. Do I need to show appropriate funding and insurance if I have a family friend who is a Finnish citizen that I potentially would be staying with? If so, what is it?

Thank you for any help or voluntary advice :)

Residential Permit for Internship (2 months)


Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post Reply