English teaching self-employed: VAT & taxes?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
lamarciana87

Post by lamarciana87 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi all,

I recently got a position teaching business English with a school, and have now to decide whether to go the self-employed route or not.

I have done a load of research on here and tax websites but am still quite confused. As far as I can see it just sort of ends up being the same thing, as the salary is adjusted accordingly by the company, but still it could make a big difference whether I lie below or above the threshold for things like pension payments.

On the one hand, I read that teachers are exempt from the VAT register, other things I read seem to contradict that.

Any personal experience someone has to share here would be appreciated. Otherwise I think I will just avoid the confusion of being self-employed. :ohno:

Thanks!

Anna

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: English teaching self-employed: VAT & taxes?

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:12 pm

VAT depends on the level of turnover the lower threshold being 10K euro in any 12 month period.
If you are working for just one school, it's probably easier to take a salary. You can establish a toiminimi later if you wish. From an income tax point of view, you probably don't save anything by being self- employed if you are only working for one school.